Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

What the "other Allroad Owners think"

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is one more reason to keep watching MAD-TV..bring 'em on..

You got it wrong, totally wrong; allroad is a typical German typo (vs. the italian FIAT allrust), Quattro means 2 x stereo system - one for the front and one for the rear seats, telescopic steering wheel is only to use if you submerge, AUDI contains DUI with an A as in "always"...now I need a drink...;-)
Old 07-26-2004, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the way to sign my Purchase Agreement ....

I stopped at Starbucks for a cup.

I saw another allroad driver (bejewelled woman in mid 30's) in the parking lot and asked her how she liked hers.

"Uggggghhh. Oyy Vey! I hate it....There's no room for the kids' stuff. The back seat can't fit the two kids in their car seats with my older daughter in the middle. I usually give this to the nanny to drive. I prefer my Mercedes E320 wagon with 4Matic. It's much bigger."

[me] "What about the twin turbos? and the handling, suspension, and quatro in the winter?"

"Oh I don't care about that. The E wagon has plenty of power for me. My nanny drives this one. We are going to sell it and get a Suburban.

[me] "Have you had any problems?"

"Those brakes are so noisy. We had to take it back 3 times in the first week, it was so noisy."

[me] "Oh, well. Sorry to hear about your experience," I said, secretly patting the bank check in my breast pocket. Apparently, her Nanny got to have all the fun.

She had a point about the seats being slightly narrower in the allroad. It is snug. But even with our Toyota Landcruiser, the 2-carseats-and-a-middle-passenger-in-the-back-seat is a tight fit. But if the E320 was so roomy, why would she need a Suburban?

My brakes also squealed for a full 1K miles before they settled in. Not an issue any more.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: On the way to sign my Purchase Agreement ....

Forgot to mention that I asked her why she got it in the first place.

Answer:

My husband got it for me because he was all excited about Audi and the power and 4wd, and safety....but he never asked my opinion.

So her husband knows...
Old 07-26-2004, 07:38 PM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Like a friend of mine said, while we were talking about how some people throw money around/away:

"I'd be a really good rich person -- I hope I have a chance to prove it someday."
Old 07-27-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Actually I bought the allroad because it was the best car to suit our needs

For me, I actually know very little about cars, but given it's important to know what you don't know, I tune into this board and take advantage of the expert knowledge and opinion given on a daily basis.

Much appreciated, especially the regular posters.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: no, you guys dont know the extent of money until youve been here

i have a place on the North Fork of Long Island and took some friend across Shelter Island to Southampton for some rainy saturday afternoon shopping.

I must have see 12 Allroads on my way there and back. It was truly amazing. I don't think I've seen so many in one day

Regardless, i am going to get another one once my lease is up in January. I have never had a car stick to the road so well and make me feel so comfortable.

Viva la Audi!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I love buying cars off these people. Some people really see cars and transportation as "A to B"
Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No doubt why BMW gets such a bad rap on the snob factor

I remember when I used to take my 328i sport in for service and some of the conversations there; most folks didn't have a clue as to what the car was capable of doing...and it definitely wasn't the reason they bought it.

I'll never forget how many comments I got when I traded in my 328i and Z28 on my S4 Avant. A ton of comments, which went something like this, "Why did you trade <insert Z28 or 328i> in on a...station wagon...?"

Sigh... When I told them that the S4 Avant would smack either one of my former cars in many ways, just a look of "you're feeding me BS" on their faces.

Talk about a great comeback line for those accusing you of snob appeal...why the hell would I buy a wagon (over a sports car) if I'm so concerned about image?! ;-)

Proof in the pudding. Just last week I was able to attend a hands-on "defensive driving" class with my co-workers last week at an airport. Many of the nay-sayers were there to witness, including the cops teaching the course, just what a "wagon" can do. Yes, I took the S4...but the allroad would have been a close second. It is so comical to see the reactions and questions after each run I did, whether it was braking, acceleration, or avoidance maneuvers through the cones. The cops kept telling me to slow down...and then later speed up when I couldn't get ABS to engage on the J turn. At the end of it all, I just had to chuckle at all the questions I was getting, even from the "musclecar" types. Those types were convinced I had built the car to be a sleeper from aftermarket parts...lol. Surely no wagon would be built like this from the factory...

I don't even think most folks have a clue that this isn't just about performance, but the inherit safety enhancement from a car/wagon that can turn, stop, and accelerate to avoid accidents; not to mention the other advanced safety features. Buying a car for the number of cupholders, strictly looks, etc. is something I just don't understand. And for the folks buying German, etc. for snob appeal, I don't get that either...but at least they're making a wise choice in technical terms.

I know...I know...I'm preaching to the choir. ;-)