Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

What is the issue w/using spacers? Called WheelExchange

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the issue w/using spacers? Called WheelExchange

I called Wheel Exchange for a price on a set of RS6 wheels. They claimed they would not fit and I asked them what about using spacers. They stated it could work but most don't want to use a spacer to get a wheel to fit.
What is the big issue with using a spacer?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Shouldn't be any, many on forum are using them including myself

Make sure it's a good quality spacer that is hub centric. It's always better if the wheel fits without one but there is a very limited selection of wheels with the correct offset. I think the largest spacer I've seen on the forum is 15 mm.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If your going to Chi twn gtg this weds I can bring my h&r 12mm hubcentric spacers to show you...

I test fit them on my oem wheels and they fit in the center hubs perfectly. I believe Ed is also using 20mm spacers without any issues. I'm currently waiting for a RS6 replica wheel to come in from Disc Tire. I want to check for fit and finish before I order the rest.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default RS 6 Reps from Disc Tire

Allroadbryan,
What color did you choose? Can you let me know what size spacers are neede for stock 2003 AR?

Also would like you opinion as to quality?

Did you buy tires too??

Sorry for all the questions, these wheels are at the top of my list.

Peter
Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: RS 6 Reps from Disc Tire

1. I ordered silver but they currently have antracite(dark silver) in stock.
2. They are 30mm offset and I plan on using 12mm spacers. You can probably use anywhere from 10-15 mm spacers without any issues.
3. They are shipping me 1 wheel direct from manufacturer so I can check them out. I will report on fit and finish when I get the wheel. ETA is about 2 wks per Disc Tire.
4. No tires yet since I need the option of returning the wheel if they are not satisfactory.
Hope this helps
Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good wheels + good spacers + good tires + good balance + proper torque = no problem

Skimp on any one of the above and you can have problems.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Default As allroadbryan said, I have run spacers of various sizes with great results...

Just have to get quality spacers like H&R for a good fit. I have a set of BBS RX 18" wheels which come with 12mm BBS spacers for the allroad fitment. Ronal machines nice spacers for fitting their wheels to the allroad. And my old 930 Turbo Porsche had factory spacers for wider stance and to clear the big brakes.

Many places are hesitant to recommend spacers because they just don't know what will fit without hands-on experience. Distribitors like Hartmann, Achtuning and Ronal regularly source spacers for their wheels. Discount Tire will NOT utilize spacers as a company policy, mainly because with hundreds of stores and thousands of employees, there's just no way to monitor that the correct spacers were used. But my DT has no problems with my using spacers because they know I use the right stuff.

Do NOT fear the spacer as long as they are good parts.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: I would love to go, but not sure I will make it. We have

been traveling every week for the past month. I have been taking my son all over for testing; Madison, Ohio, etc. We just got back from Ohio last night. I was there last week as well fir meetings and then in Fl on vacation the week before.
I would really like to attend. I would be interested in seeing your AV setup as well.
Actually the darker rep wheels that Disc. Tire has might look good on the wifes black AR.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Default There is a very specific problem with using spacers on the Allroad

Hartmann has looked into this as a result of some complaints about vibration and found that there are some small tolerance issues on the allroad hubs that can cause wheels with even good spacers to have some issues. Hartmann has just recently begun making Allroad specific spacers to eliminate this problem from occuring in the future and should have those ready for production fairly soon.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sky Dude; any news on my Milltek? 5th request.....