Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

What's all this about Audi discontinuing the allroad...?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What's all this about Audi discontinuing the allroad...?!

Having only just got the blasted thing, if Audi discontinue it does that mean I will have a perfectly horrible time finding parts in a few years? Also I presume that major repairs would either be (more) astronomical or plain impossible.

:-(
Old 01-26-2003, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: What's all this about Audi discontinuing the allroad...?!

I've read the same things. "Poorly received" in the marketplace seems to be the reason given most often.

I say with virtually zero marketing, the thing's done remarkably well. But IF a 2.7T A6 avant came to market, wouldn't that even further confuse the market and reduce the already poorly recived allroad's sales?

Kinda makes sense that the 2005 will be the end of the line, if not sooner. Then, of course you ALMOST have to wonder "why bother" bringing a 4.2 allroad to market a few months from now.

My theory is that it is cheap to do so, since the 2.7T version and 4.2 version are from a body standpoint identical therfore requiring no retooling. The allroad will start life as an empty shell and at the "moment of truth" will have either a 2.7T 2.5TD or 4.2 engine crammed in under the bonnet -- and priced accordingly. A few option difference and or standard vs option equipment configurations do not cost much.

Insofar as long term parts availability are concerned -- well, I guess it depends on how long "long term" really is. I would not worry about 4,5,6 or perhaps even 10 years. But once we get to 2008, perhaps prices will be reflective of the old saw, "supply and DEMAND."
Old 01-26-2003, 08:35 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why bring a new 4.2 motor to the "failing" allroad?

I wondered about that also - perhaps its just a "test mule" for the new S4 - which I've heard will have the same V8 stuffed into it.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The new S4 may be here before the 4.2 allroad...

The allroad is not and has not been a failure in any way. Audi does this...no big deal. The allroad is really just an A6 wagon with a different suspension. No huge cost for Audi. Audi sold around 5000 allroads in the first 12 months and around 4000 or so, the following 12 months. Not too bad, IMO. Hell, there were only around 2500 A6 4.2s per year, and only 1200-1300 S6s over 2 years!!! Nine-thousand allroads over 2 years next year is pretty damn good.
There will be a 2004 allroad also...so 4 years isn't really a short run...there may even be a 2005 if the Audi version of the Magellan (Pikes Peak) doesn't show by then.
I think, however, it is right for Audi to further distinguish their "offroad" Audi from the standard A6 line...the Pikes Peak seems exactly right IMO...not quite an SUV, but more than a wagon.

Don't worry about parts...most are simply A6 parts...and there will be 7 years of A6s out there...Audi will keep parts around.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From a production standpoint, the allroad is hardly an A6 wagon... =)

True, the interiors are nearly identical, but the chassis, sheet metal, suspension, engine, etc... aren't. =) So, it does take a certain commitment from Audi to produce the thing. But, I agree with your overall message -- nothing to really worry about with regards to parts.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:02 AM

Default I wouldn't be suprised to see Audi keep the allroad around...

...dropping the 2.7t and increasing the price with the 4.2 V-8. Since most of the engineering is already done with the current generation suspension and the new A6, it makes sense to carry it over into the next A6 model year. That would allow Audi to fill two market niches. Of course, who knows what the exec's. will do...
Old 01-27-2003, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't know specifics, but there are laws in place that require manufacturers to maintain parts...

availability on any model sold for a certain period of time. I don't know the exact timeframe, but its many years.

As example, the VW Corrado has been out of production since 1994, but I can go into a VW dealership and order pretty much any part including weird trim pieces and tiny fasteners.

Parts is not the problem - the problem is where the hell am I going to get my next manual transmission, AWD, high performance, sports wagon.

There are fewer and fewer manual transmission options available.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:27 AM

Default I wouldn't worry...

...See the link of the most recent "talk" on the allroad future...

But Even if it is gone in 2005 (which I expect) you'll have no problem with parts/repair. Why? Number one because it's basically a VW - VW being the parent company, parts will always be easily accessible. Secondly the allroad consists of many "new" advancements now being incorporated across the Audi line. Be it Cayenne, Touareg, Magellan, Steppenwolf, new A8 or whatever. Things like the air suspension are only becoming more common not obsolete...

Personally it's short life makes it more unique; The allroad was introduced in 2001 as a celebration of the 20th aniversary of quattro with only 5,000 units (originally) slated for the U.S. I think Audi hasn't sold more than that (in the U.S.) since - which explains the demise. However it's kinda cool knowing that you own one of only 25K (or less) ever sold in the U.S.... 8-)<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/36586.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/36586.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-27-2003, 11:00 AM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've been wondering the same thing...

I'm trying to figure out if I could stash enough money to grab one of the last 6-speed allroads made and have it shrink-wrapped, more or less, until I need it.