Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

When to wax new car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to wax new car?

I've heard various theories that it's not good for the finish to apply wax to a new car for the first six months due to various elements in the new paint added by the factory? Is this true? What is the general consensus regarding how soon after purchase to apply wax to new allroads? Also, what is the best protectant for the plastic body parts?

Any help is appreciated.

Berner1
Silver ar 6-spd
Old 09-18-2001, 11:42 AM

Default Re: When to wax new car?

This subject was discussed ad nauseam on a Mercedes discussion list. At long last an M-B factory rep was called in, and claimed that most chemicals are baked out in the heat set process at the factory. Any off-gassing that occurs after shipping will not affect wax. So go for it!
Old 09-19-2001, 07:10 AM

Default Wait 6 weeks for fresh paint, But can apply POLISH right away

While the advise offered by the Mercedes rep may be true for FACTORY paint, my understanding is it's not as true for fresh paint, or for lacquer.

My understanding from the show car circuit is, it's best to wait 6 weeks (longer in higher humidity areas) so the paint has time to "cure" before applying wax. It's also my understanding polish is different. Unlike wax, polish (such as Zaino) isn't topical, but is designed to be "absorbed" (paint is porous). Wax is designed to sit on TOP of the finish, so it inhibits the paint's ability to "breathe" and therefore cure.

Not looking to start a protracted debate, my view is, most German cars are damned close to 6 weeks old by the time you get them anyway, so it's of no consequence. And if you're that ambitious that you want to apply a coat of wax upon delivery, you probably want to apply a pure polish, not a wax, for maximum refraction of the full spectrum of visible light waves <smile>.