Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 2002 S6 avant would this fit?

Tom
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Indiglow99

Tom
I can't answer for JustMtnB44, but I wouldn't recommend towing anything with that car other than a bike rack and you can find class 1 hitches at Uhaul.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those crappy Uhaul hitches require a permanant receiver sticking through the rear bumper.

Justin's hitch would at least let you hide things until you wanted to use it.

I'd think the S6 would pull a light duty trailer load (like a few sheets of plywood and some 2X4s) just fine. The S6 would have great brakes, which is one of the main issues with trailering. If you want to pull something heavy, get an Allroad.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
I'm interested and could pick it up since I'm only in Greensburg...
Sure no problem we can work something out.

Originally Posted by m4rkenyux
Looks good, better than mine..
Did you build one yourself as well?

Originally Posted by Indiglow99
I don't know for sure if this will fit an S6. I have to assume the chassis is the same so it will definitely bolt on, but the bumper covers are different. It may be as simple as cutting a notch in the bottom edge of the bumper cover. Another member was interested in putting a hitch on his regular A6 avant, and if it works out for him then it will probably fit the S6 too. But I can't say for sure it will work without trying it. Thanks for the interest, and I will let you know if I ever find out for sure. Or if you want to get one and try it that would be cool too.

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Justin's hitch would at least let you hide things until you wanted to use it.

I'd think the S6 would pull a light duty trailer load (like a few sheets of plywood and some 2X4s) just fine. The S6 would have great brakes, which is one of the main issues with trailering. If you want to pull something heavy, get an Allroad.
The only thing the S6 doesn't have that the allroad does is self leveling rear suspension and extra ground clearance and a different transmission. I don't see why it couldn't tow a reasonable size trailer, but I would see if the owners manual says anything about it.

Last edited by JustMtnB44; 10-25-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Justin,
If you want to make that it fits, go the Westfalia website and check for the model that is recommended for the S6 and /or the Avant A6 if it is the same than your hitch will fit.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say the hitch for A6 will fit an S6 sedan or avant:

<a href="http://www.eurohitches.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_ id=14&zenid=cabfdd3485567151ce4b5d99ce98ffdf">HERE </a>
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well ! I am not an expert, but just look at the brakets and you can see that it won't fit. It could but you will have to modify the bumper brakets and probably more. I am sure Justin can modify his Allroad "hitch" to fit an Avant A6 or S6 but don't try to tow something heavier than 3 000 lb, the final differential ration is not "appropriate" for towing heavy load.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiQC
Justin,
If you want to make that it fits, go the Westfalia website and check for the model that is recommended for the S6 and /or the Avant A6 if it is the same than your hitch will fit.
Good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Westfalia allroad hitch

Westfalia A6 Avant/Sedan hitch

They definitely are not the same in the bumper mount area, and the mounting points may not line up correctly either.

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
They say the hitch for A6 will fit an S6 sedan or avant:

<a href="http://www.eurohitches.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_ id=14&zenid=cabfdd3485567151ce4b5d99ce98ffdf">HERE </a>
Correct, but it does not fit the allroad as well, only the other models.

Originally Posted by AudiQC
Well ! I am not an expert, but just look at the brakets and you can see that it won't fit. It could but you will have to modify the bumper brakets and probably more. I am sure Justin can modify his Allroad "hitch" to fit an Avant A6 or S6 but don't try to tow something heavier than 3 000 lb, the final differential ration is not "appropriate" for towing heavy load.
Yeah I agree, I am just going to say it now this hitch will only fit allroads and not other C5 A6 cars. I'm not going to make another version either as I would need to have the car in front of me to get dimensions, and frankly I just don't have the time, resources, or interest to do that. If someone wants to try one on an A6 anyway, I'm fine with that and they can return it if it doesn't fit, but I'm not going to advertise this hitch fitting anything other than C5 allroad cars.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by m4rkenyux
Looks good, better than mine..
I had a local shop install and customize a Curt hitch to recieve a 2" and more weight but I am in need of the 13 to 4 pin trailer wiring if you would sell it seperate?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Stob
I am in need of the 13 to 4 pin trailer wiring if you would sell it seperate?
Maybe, but if you need it sooner rather than later you can get all of the parts and put your own together it is pretty simple. See this link for the writeup I did a while back.

http://allroadfaq.com/main/index.php...body&Itemid=67

Quick Reply: Who wants a trailer hitch? There is now a better option available.