Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Will anyone stick up for TipTronic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will anyone stick up for TipTronic?

Hi there,

Considering buying an Allroad (I currently drive a C4 Avant), so have been lurking & learning here--appreciate the insights & knowledge by the way!

Here's my question: While I can understand why there is a general preference to the 6-speed, will anyone here vouch for going with TipTronic?

Reason(s): I do enjoy manual shifting, however, I am in sales & spend a good bit of time on the road and/or in traffic. With an auto I find it easy to get some bit of 'work' done (e.g. phone--not to start a flame war about talking & driving!), whereas w/ manual it is more challenging. Also, over past several years I've gotten used to compromise of automatics--and am assuming quite a bit of increased performance over my 2.8 auto.

Sorry for long post on my 1st here.

Thanks in advance for answers.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

With brake/throttle lag, no way.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Once I had my tranny and torque converter replaced I love my tip.

I think the consensus is if you want a tip get a 4.2..
Old 09-25-2006, 02:51 PM

Default I am in the same boat....

I am in sales and on the road for most of my day so a Tip was the only option. While there are times I would love a stick, overall the tip works for me.

I am sure if I get to the track I will wish I had a stick, but I will be on a track less than 1% of the time I am in the car.

You can always do a tip chip too....
Old 09-25-2006, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you want a auto get one. It's your car.

I have one (tip) and don't like the lag. 99% of the time it is not a problem. It is the slow down and then stomp on it to change lanes or pass someone in a hurry delay that 1% of the time makes me wish (stongly) for a 6 speed manual. But as I say that, I also know in stop and go driving the manual shifter wears you out. It takes two hands driving and a touch more attention to shift a manual. I got a GIAC tip and engine chip and I still have the lag. If I was really concerned I guess I could master the tip mode better rather than keeping it in drive. The usual advice is drive both models and decide. I'm told the V8 is better than the V6 but I've never driven the V8 allroad.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sure...

Our AR is the cruiser; the long-haul-travel-in-style machine. Given than most of its miles are on the freeway, I don't run into the brake/throttle issue often enough to be bothered by it. I also gotta plug forced induction here; just did the Fremont Pass going to and from LA this weekend. I love whipping past all those poor naturally-aspirated vehicles as the altitude increases. So yeah, 2.7T Tip works for me...
Old 09-25-2006, 03:10 PM

Default I'd rather be in a manual Porsche Turbo, but...

Though I am not sure that "stick up" is the right metaphor for defending a slush-box, I have made my peace with driving a tip. Were I driving something truly sporting - say an M3 or a 911 - I'd opt for a stick, at least until they offer a DSG as sweet as the A3's. While the tip is reduces the sporting abilities of the ar, the reality of MY driving is that I am either stuck in NYC traffic, or dealing with phone calls - albeit handsfree - or navigation or lending the car to family or friends. The tip is reasonably quick, quiet, smooth shifting, reliable-so-far and the manual and "Sport" mode keep me amused. The addition of an engine and tip chip (Dahlback, in my case) makes it much better and seems to reduce the dreaded throttle lag. There are many who think that the tip is only suited for a 4000+ lb station wagon, but...well...thats more or less what we are all driving, no?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I really like my TIP. The paddle shifters let me choose the gear through the curves, and it ...

shifts pretty quick too. Plus, when I'm in traffic or too tired to enjoy driving, it's a no brainer. Best of both worlds...

That said, I'm not looking forward to replacing the TC seal...

A dual clutch system like the A3 has is the stuff dreams are made of...

Oh yeah, and I think the BTL has bugged me once, maybe twice... Not a real problem for me at all....
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Love it...too much going on most of the time to be bothered with shifting but if you want to you

can...my car has almost no BTL and the only other car I would drive is the S-line A3 but it's too small, my allroad isn't worth enough on trade and I really like the way this one looks....we have bonded
Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default With a little electronic help, the Tip ar isn't too bad and for some reasons as you've mentioned

I have not switched yet to a 6MT. Conference calls (total Hands free set installed) among other Business "duties" make the Tip a valuable asset.

Of course, an little investment to provide a safe driving environment might be necessary (Bluetooth links etc pp.) or using the pre-hard wired Audi setup. But for the convencience as well as having always 2 hands on the wheel - yes, Tiptronic it is.

Quick Reply: Will anyone stick up for TipTronic?