Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Winter Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Wheel Question

Hello everyone,

Winter is almost around the corner and its time to start shopping for winter tires and snows for the wife's AR.

Last year she ran with brand new all season tires but this year I want to fit winter tires.

I would like to get spare wheels to mount the winter tires.

Are there any limitations as to wheel size and offset that will fit the Allroad?

ie: can I fit a 16" wheel or must it be a 17" wheel to clear the brakes etc...

If anyone has any info to share I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to slap on some steel wheels off a regular A6 or A4 and save some $$$

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TorontoAllroad
Hello everyone,

Winter is almost around the corner and its time to start shopping for winter tires and snows for the wife's AR.

Last year she ran with brand new all season tires but this year I want to fit winter tires.

I would like to get spare wheels to mount the winter tires.

Are there any limitations as to wheel size and offset that will fit the Allroad?

ie: can I fit a 16" wheel or must it be a 17" wheel to clear the brakes etc...

If anyone has any info to share I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to slap on some steel wheels off a regular A6 or A4 and save some $$$

Thanks!
im using the 215/65R16 for winter tire without any problem.
(If there is no modification for brakes)
The most important point should be wheel offset, because wheel offset for allroad is special as you know.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

i actually use my s4s old winters 225/45/17s on the AR and they work fine. the speedo is a bit off by 5km/hr and it looks funny with the lower profile but the wife drives it so meh ahahaha
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tire Rack used to sell a 16" wheel with the correct allroad offset. I think it was from At Italia... I know a bunch of people had those rims without issues clearing the brakes. I've also heard of people using 16" steelies with spacers to get the correct offset. Tire Rack currently has a 17" wheel from Rial that has the correct offset too.

Probably the most popular option though is to use stock wheels for your winter set up and then buy something bigger/cooler for the summer set up.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlos1
Tire Rack used to sell a 16" wheel with the correct allroad offset. I think it was from At Italia... I know a bunch of people had those rims without issues clearing the brakes. I've also heard of people using 16" steelies with spacers to get the correct offset. Tire Rack currently has a 17" wheel from Rial that has the correct offset too.

Probably the most popular option though is to use stock wheels for your winter set up and then buy something bigger/cooler for the summer set up.

BTW the Rial wheels tire rack sells are made in germany and I belive I paid only 99$ each last year!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B490MTL
BTW the Rial wheels tire rack sells are made in germany and I belive I paid only 99$ each last year!
thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Since I have access to a wheel mounter and balancer, I think I will just buy winter tires and swap them out using the OE wheels.

I would consider some nice aftermarket wheels for the summer but this is the wifes car... besides, I already have 2 other money pits (VW Corrado & Porsche Cayenne Turbo)