Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

X5 vs. Allroad (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X5 vs. Allroad (very long)

Well, I now own both cars, and I would like to make some points about the differences and which one I like better. Before we start, however, I want to explain that I purchased the Allroad for my girlfriend because I hated her current car (some generic Toyota station wagon). We looked at the BMW 330Xi (I wanted it, but she wanted to carry more children/things), Audi S4 (I don't like it at all vs. the 330Xi, but I'm truly a Bimmer afficianado), and the X5 (which I already own and I think is one of the best cars on the road, but she liked the rear facing children seats in the back, so that's why we bought it).

So here's my review. No flames please, because it's just my opinion. I have about 3000 miles on the X5 vs. about 1000 on the Allroad.

Performance.

Sorry, but the 4.4L X5 has it all over the all road. Fifty more HP. Faster acceleration. Much better handling. I also like the rear bias of the AWD more than what feels like front bias to the Audi Quattro system. I seem to feel at lot less understeer with the BMW than with the Audi. BUT, that being said, the Audi is a very hot car. And because it's a family type car, it really doesn't need to win races, although I like the fact that the Audi can, if I push it. Finally, I prefer BMW's Automatic to Audi's. The Bimmer has a sport mode, that I usually use.

Appearance

I happen to think the X5 is gorgeous in design. The Audi looks a bit too much like a station wagon, but then again, it certainly is not some Buick. I think the interior of both cars are very nice, although I like the aluminum trim in the X5 a bit more than the Audi. Finally, the growl out of the X5's dual pipes is very satisfying..makes me want to get on my motorbikes. The 17" wheels on the Audi are absolutely cool.

Ergonomics

I really enjoy the Audi's ergonomics--very comfortable. The X5's sport seats are fine for commuting, but I'm concerned for long drives. I might need a pillow or something. Also, the X5 seems to have about 10000 positions for seating, and only one of them are comfortable to me. (I found this true of my 740i, when I owned it.) I also like the navigation system on the Audi a bit more than the X5. Both are good, and both have upsides and downsides. BUT, I like the fact that I only have to glance down do see directions on the Audi, whereas I have to look over to the right for the X5. However, the X5 navigation voice is much sexier than the Audi. LOL.

Fit and finish

OK, this is where I'm going to get a bit cranky. The BMW, after 3000 miles, is perfect. I have NO complaints. Nothing. Nada. On the other hand, the Allroad has had a series of complaints that annoy me. I've had the same experience with my TT. The battery needed replacing. I blew a bunch of fuses on the remote side mirrors. Unknown rattle, finally fixed. This is ridiculous for a $50,000 automobile.

So, in conclusion, I think I would choose the X5 if cost were not an issue. But if it is, I'm not sure if I would choose the X5 3.3L vs. the All Road. The fit/finish problem bothers me about Audi.

Also, my lease on the the X5 ($13,000 higher price) is just a few bucks more than my lease on the Allroad. That implies a poorer residual which implies that the market just does not believe in the value of the Audi product.

Now, I'm a picky car person. My girlfriend (who has just taken control of the car, so to speak) absolutely loves the Allroad. Our children and their friends love the car. There are constant wars for the rear jump seat.

So, in the end, for my commuting, bicycling, and no-offroad activities, the X5 is just perfect. It also is fast enough that my M5 can continue to be a garage queen (well, it goes on long drives in the twisties on weekends). I prefer it by a large margin over my Allroad.

But again, for the purposes that the Allroad was purchased, it probably exceeds the X5 (either 3.0 or 4.4 L versions) because it can carry more passengers, is a bit more comfortable in a long drive, and a couple of other issues. I would be much happier if the the Audi's exterior design was improved, engine upgraded, and understeer was removed.
Old 02-16-2001, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You should of got her the 6-speed if you wanted preformance

Good right up.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2001, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Let me guess. The value of a comparison between BMW and Audi by a BMW nut = WHAT? That's..

what I thought zero, zip, nada!!!
Old 02-16-2001, 11:03 AM

True. The 6-speed is way faster and feel faster
Old 02-16-2001, 12:00 PM

Goodness ! you must have some hefty total monthy car payment!
Old 02-16-2001, 12:45 PM

Default My $0.02 ;) (not intended to be inflamatory, just my opinion)

I own an AllRoad and my partner has a 4.4 X5. To a certain extent some production issues are luck of the draw. I have had zero problems with my Audi but the X5 interior is falling apart and has been in and out of service since it was purchased. As far a performance goes I will concede some of this untill this afternoon when $500 dollars later I will have 310hp with a chip. I would also argue that the interior ergonomics on the BMW do not approach the 'cockpit' of the AllRoad, but this is a totally personal observation. Our impressions of our cars is so subjective and based mostly on expectations we have for a vehicle the vehicles ability to meet those expectations.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
2000 VW Turbo Beetle
2001 Boxster S
2002 911 Turbo (two months and counting!)
2001 AllRoad
1986 Merkur XR4ti (full Cossy drivetrain and suspension)
1958 Austin Healy Sprite
Old 02-16-2001, 01:37 PM
kwh

Default Re: X5 vs. Allroad (very long)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I must, however, question some of your conclusions:

1) The allroad is .2 sec faster to sixty than the X5 4.4 - must be a perception thing. The allroad also has superior aerodynamics for top end speed.
2) "Much better handling" - you must have the 19" ultra high performance tires on the X5 for this to be true. Basic physics says the allroad would easily win with similar tires.
3) Fit and Finish - this is the exact opposite opinion of just about everyone else. You must have bad luck with Audis. I mean really, the X5 is built in SC alongside the Z3...
4) You prefer the BMW AWD system? Quattro is easily more advanced.
5) 330Xi (w/ bastardized, ride height increasing AWD system) over the S4? You must be kidding...

Seriously, I appreciate your opinions and must say I'm a bit jealous of all your toys. It must be fun deciding what your going to drive/ride every day!

-Kennon
Old 02-16-2001, 03:15 PM
wbk

Default try breaking both cars in and repost at 10,000 miles

My allroad gets faster by the mile and I have had virtually no problems except the loose wipers on delivery. You have had back luck but with 1000 miles on the Audi you have no idea how fast it is. All the road tests and manufacturer's data say the allroad can drive circles around the X5 in all areas except braking.
Old 02-16-2001, 08:52 PM

Default Re: X5 vs. Allroad

Interesting to hear your opinions, sorry to hear that your allroad has had problems during first 3000 miles, and happy to report that mine hasn't.

I drove the X5 too before buying the allroad, thought that it drove well but the SUV height and lack of cargo space together with the price put me off. I'd rather be in the M5 when in need of speed but prefer the allroad for its versatility combined with great performance. Re: xi we were thinking about 325xi for my better half, I liked the way it drove but was not available within reasonable time frame. A4 2.8 quattro had more trunk space and discreet image vs. 3-series bimmer so we ended with that and have been happy. The 2002 model looks even better, wish it had come out already now.
Old 02-17-2001, 06:27 PM

Default Re: X5 vs. Allroad (very long)

The residual on a car does not alone set the cost of a lease. It's also the money factor. Also, BMW has always heavily susidized their vehicles. One other comment. The all wheel drive system in the 330xi I believe is a very close relative to what BMW put in their 325ix and that is a primative system. I owned a 1991 325ix (the last year imported) and enjoyed the car for 4 years but found it to be the least reliable and most mechanically problematic car I've owned to date. My former A4, A6 and current A4 are superb vehicles that are beautiful to look at, a hoot to drive, and thankfully doesn't carry any of that "hey, I'm driving a BMW " baggage.

Quick Reply: X5 vs. Allroad (very long)