Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Etron charger not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Etron charger not working

I have a new etron and wanted to use level 1 charging at home as I dont have a 240v plug yet. When I plug the car in to the provided charger it shows that the waiting for charging timer is on. The problem is I dont have any charging timers on. Called the dealership and the were unable to figure it out. Anyone encounter this and have any fixes for it?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodstam
I have a new etron and wanted to use level 1 charging at home as I dont have a 240v plug yet. When I plug the car in to the provided charger it shows that the waiting for charging timer is on. The problem is I dont have any charging timers on. Called the dealership and the were unable to figure it out. Anyone encounter this and have any fixes for it?
This is precisely what happened to me and my dealership is still working on it; my charger works perfectly on 240v, though. They claimed the charger worked fine on 120v and 240v, but I have asked them to show me. However, I don't have a solution for you other than to get a 240v NEMA 14-50 plug setup as soon as possible.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Perhaps these threads may be helpful:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...usion-2971947/
e-tronforum.com/threads/charging-timer-not-reliable.1237/
Old 02-26-2020, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Others have had problems with this. On your charger there is an indicator next to the power-on button that shows 50% and 100%. (see page 114 in the owner's manual) Which is lit up on your unit when it's turned on? Pressing the power button again will cycle between the two settings. If the unit is at 50% try setting it at 100%. This apparently has worked at least for some folks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike in CA:
jaxjeebers (05-01-2020), Karldavid (07-18-2021)
Old 02-27-2020, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue when we brought our e-tron home and I was still waiting for an electrician to install our 240v NEMA 14-50 plug (40 amp). Car wouldn't charge on the 120v plug in our garage and tried troubleshooting with the dealership and online. Turns out in the end, based on process of elimination and the vehicle manual troubleshooting page the 120v plug in the garage likely wasn't grounded or there was an issue with the ground causing the EVSE to reject the charge. Apparently the EVSE is very sensitive to these types of things to prevent damage to the batteries. A well grounded 120v plug or grounded GFSI is preferable apparently.

Good luck and hope you get your 240v plug installed soon, as I have had no issues with it at all.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi Canuck
I had the same issue when we brought our e-tron home and I was still waiting for an electrician to install our 240v NEMA 14-50 plug (40 amp). Car wouldn't charge on the 120v plug in our garage and tried troubleshooting with the dealership and online. Turns out in the end, based on process of elimination and the vehicle manual troubleshooting page the 120v plug in the garage likely wasn't grounded or there was an issue with the ground causing the EVSE to reject the charge. Apparently the EVSE is very sensitive to these types of things to prevent damage to the batteries. A well grounded 120v plug or grounded GFSI is preferable apparently.

Good luck and hope you get your 240v plug installed soon, as I have had no issues with it at all.
Very interesting. I did most of the wiring in my garage myself with the help of a friend of mine that was a Journeyman electrician in a previous life. The circuit that the plug I was using was connected to is GFCI protected and it passes the plug-in tester's test. I will check the ground, however. The 240v NEMA 14-50 receptacle I installed connects to the same sub-panel and it works no problem, so that suggests there could be a problem with my receptacle and not the charger. I figured it had something to do with the voltage difference making the charger behave differently. This would also support my dealership's contention that it works for them on both 120v and 240v. I can work with this new information and will report back my findings.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBTK
Very interesting. I did most of the wiring in my garage myself with the help of a friend of mine that was a Journeyman electrician in a previous life. The circuit that the plug I was using was connected to is GFCI protected and it passes the plug-in tester's test. I will check the ground, however. The 240v NEMA 14-50 receptacle I installed connects to the same sub-panel and it works no problem, so that suggests there could be a problem with my receptacle and not the charger. I figured it had something to do with the voltage difference making the charger behave differently. This would also support my dealership's contention that it works for them on both 120v and 240v. I can work with this new information and will report back my findings.
For troubleshooting the charging system by referring to status lights on the e-tron compact charging unit that comes with the car - refer to Pages 114-118 of the e-tron vehicle manual. That is what I did and how I figured out the issue was due to the "charging infrastructure of the power supply/household connection is insufficient, the ground conductor is interrupted or not present". If after going through these steps you still haven't figured it out, I would call an electrician first to test your plug before replacing the compact charging unit. Also the charge unit defaults to 50% charge rate when you get it with car and you need to hold the 100% button to switch it over. There's another post on the board that talks about this and the TSB that addresses the default charge on the unit.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I just mentioned this in another thread, before seeing this one. My Audi EVSE, when plugged into a 110V outlet, defaults to 100%. When plugged into a 240V outlet, it defaults to 50% and I have to manually switch it to 100% to get the faster charging. Now, if it’s plugged into 110V and I manually switch it to 50%, the car will display “Waiting for timer”, even though no timer is active. As soon as I switch it back to 100%, charging starts.
The following users liked this post:
BlackOptic (02-28-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MileHigh e-tron
I just mentioned this in another thread, before seeing this one. My Audi EVSE, when plugged into a 110V outlet, defaults to 100%. When plugged into a 240V outlet, it defaults to 50% and I have to manually switch it to 100% to get the faster charging. Now, if it’s plugged into 110V and I manually switch it to 50%, the car will display “Waiting for timer”, even though no timer is active. As soon as I switch it back to 100%, charging starts.
My indicator on my Audi compact charger comes on green, then pulses green for few seconds then it turns yellow and shows 50% setting.the manual does not show a yellow/white color for the charge indicator. This is plugged into a 110v outlet. Where are the buttons on the control, are they touch sensitive or give feedback. I am pressing all over the charger and nothing happens. Just received our E-tron yesterday. I have also tried several different outlets including an outside GFI outlet. We do not have our 240v home supply yet.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hendrick1$
My indicator on my Audi compact charger comes on green, then pulses green for few seconds then it turns yellow and shows 50% setting.the manual does not show a yellow/white color for the charge indicator. This is plugged into a 110v outlet. Where are the buttons on the control, are they touch sensitive or give feedback. I am pressing all over the charger and nothing happens. Just received our E-tron yesterday. I have also tried several different outlets including an outside GFI outlet. We do not have our 240v home supply yet.
Yeah, this confused me for the longest time on the Audi charger. There is no physical button that clicks or even depresses anywhere on the charger; you have to press your finger on the charge indicator spot for several seconds in order to change the charge setting. Also, there are TSBs regarding the charger that the dealership needs to apply to your charger in order to work properly at 100% charge rate on 120v. You can find some TSBs here.

Quick Reply: Etron charger not working