Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

How did you set up your home charging station?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts
Default How did you set up your home charging station?

In particular, I am wondering how some folks here mounted the charging station to the wall. The cable is easy enough to hang, but the black box has no mounting holes, and no hardware was provided. Did you improvise? Does Audi offer a mounting bracket that comes nicely wrapped in a keepsake box for $$$$? I can pound 4 long nails into the wall and get it to stay in place that way, but I'm hoping to do a little better.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts

I bought a 2-pack of these "mini quick fist" rubber clamps:
Amazon Amazon
They're intended to be mounted to a vehicle (such as a Jeep or a fire truck) to securely hold tools. But I mounted them to the wall in the garage. The rubber strain relief on the top and bottom of the Audi home charger fit perfectly into the cradles, and the straps lock it down securely. This lets me quickly and easily remove the charger from the wall and throw it in the frunk when I'm taking a long trip.
The following 2 users liked this post by skaven81:
coldrain85 (08-10-2022), realfan (08-13-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Most of us probably purchased third party EVSE. This is NOT required, and you can use the Audi provided EVSE that came with your car.

You can purchase a mounting bracket that Audi sells from their parts department. It is NOT required.

You can also purchase the Audi wall mounting box which you may have seen on your Audi sales floor. It is a box and simply mounts your included EVSE.

I would say that most first time EV owners use the included EVSE until they have third party EVSE installed and then the included one ends up packed nicely in the frunk and is for road trips only.

There are a few picture threads in the form if you want mounting ideas.
The following users liked this post:
coldrain85 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
In particular, I am wondering how some folks here mounted the charging station to the wall. The cable is easy enough to hang, but the black box has no mounting holes, and no hardware was provided. Did you improvise? Does Audi offer a mounting bracket that comes nicely wrapped in a keepsake box for $$$$? I can pound 4 long nails into the wall and get it to stay in place that way, but I'm hoping to do a little better.
I use the Audi EVSE exclusively. I don't wall mount it. I have a small two-level table. I strap the black box to the lower level and coil and lay the cable on top of the upper level.
coldrain85 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skaven81
I bought a 2-pack of these "mini quick fist" rubber clamps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NOC8Q6 They're intended to be mounted to a vehicle (such as a Jeep or a fire truck) to securely hold tools. But I mounted them to the wall in the garage. The rubber strain relief on the top and bottom of the Audi home charger fit perfectly into the cradles, and the straps lock it down securely. This lets me quickly and easily remove the charger from the wall and throw it in the frunk when I'm taking a long trip.
Brilliant, thanks. I found some nearby.
realfan (08-13-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JNealCox
I use the Audi EVSE exclusively. I don't wall mount it. I have a small two-level table. I strap the black box to the lower level and coil and lay the cable on top of the upper level.
That would be perfect if I had room for a table along that wall. I used to have a table there until the garage had to be prepared for the etron. Space limitations force me to wall mount this one.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts

My $0.02 is to put the Audi charger in the frunk and leave it there, buy a decent EVSE to mount at home. That way you have a backup if your EVSE dies, and the Audi unit is in good shape if you need it on a road trip.
The following 3 users liked this post by rdgrimes:
Art234 (08-12-2022), Murray-of-Orange (09-22-2022), thebishman (08-11-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I 3D printed holders that look like the Audi ones. They are very thin, as I didn’t account for thermal expansion, aka how hot the charger got in Texas heat. I will have to redo them soon.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
I posted this over in the etron forum here ya go this is my setup with parts list.

https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/...86/#post-42680

coldrain85 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sirfrancis
I posted this over in the etron forum here ya go this is my setup with parts list.

https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/...86/#post-42680
I saw that. It looks pretty clean. I like the way that yours is mounted horizontally. I'm going to do something similar using the rubber clamps that were suggested.

Quick Reply: How did you set up your home charging station?