Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

How much range are you getting at 80% charged

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by yeamac
the confusion the battery buffers might cause some people.
This is what I'd put my money on. All the Audi marketing materials tout the e-tron's "95kWh" battery. So if the first thing a new owner did was see that at 100% charge they've only got 86kWh available, you know that the dealer will be getting a call about that. Audi could stave that off by including a note on that screen that explains the battery buffers (or perhaps shows all of the values together), but it still creates a recipe for confusion and unhappy customers. A simple 0-100% scale is far more intuitive for the vast majority of owners. Sophisticated folks like us can simply multiply the SoC% by 86kWh to get the actual remaining capacity.

If they were to implement a kWh display, they'd likely have to have it show all three values, something like:
  • Top buffer: 3kWh
  • Usable capacity: 86kWh (assuming 100% charge)
  • Bottom buffer: 6kWh
Or better, make this visible in the "charging' display where you get a graph of the battery percentage. Show an "extended" bar with yellow sections at the far left and far right, representing the top and bottom buffers (and note their sizes in kWh). Then also show the size of the green "SoC" bar in both kWh and percent.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I see between 160-180 miles on my etron S @ 80% had it since end of July.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

On MY 22 I am getting about 208 miles at 80% it is only 2.5 months old.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get between 180-190 miles at 80% on my MY22. I've only had the car for about 3 months.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

'19 w/ 20K miles.
184 GOM indicated at 80%SOC w/ ten minutes preconditioning.

​​​If I were to jump on a road trip an needed to eek out 184 miles, I'd charge to 90% SOC and then not sweat the trip on full ADAS at ten over the speed limit with full HVAC.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:32 AM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

For reference, at 80% I see between 165 - 200 miles of range in my 2021 e-tron in summer. Winter range is lower (I'm in the Midwest). The higher number is when my recent trips have been in town and I get around 3.0 mi/kWh.

I charged to 100% last night as I have an out of town trip today and the GOM started at 232 miles in my garage and in my 2 mile drive to work (at 30 mph, no AC, windows down) it shot up to 247 miles @ 99% battery. Range estimates fluctuate and are totally dependent on your recent driving. If I'm going to be driving @ 77mph on the interstate with AC on I know I won't get near what the GOM says for my in-town driving.

If you don't have it yet, A Better Route Planner (ABRP) in the App Store is a great app to have. You enter your vehicle, then select other parameters like your cruising speed, outside temperature, and wind speeds (headwind vs. tailwind makes a difference in range) and it calculates what percentage your battery will be at along the way, and will even populate the most efficient charging stops, if needed.

Last edited by yeamac; 09-15-2022 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts

80% has varied between about 140 miles (winter, short trips with waiting in parking lots running heat and defog, one such trip getting less than 1 mile/kWh)
to about 210 miles (Mild weather, long trip, speeds mostly under 60 MPH) (Oh, and one long downhill run with a tail wind from Grand Canyon Village to Holbrook AZ at typical freeway speeds)

GOM is somewhat useful as you get closer to empty. But mostly I look at the MMI charging page showing percentage, and at the MMI "% left at destination" displays.

+1 for using ABRP for trip planning. While it does have some flaws and limitations, it is very useful.

ABRP Flaws:
  • Database of charging stations isn't very good. Use Plugshare, charging network apps/web pages and such to fill in. You can add a waypoint in ABRP and make it a charging stop. Or/or add a non-existing charger into the list of chargers not to use.
  • Mapping is based on Open Street Map. Some routes are wrong due to inconsistent quality of OSM. While you can fix these when you find these, you should cross check with Google Maps/ Bing Maps/ Apple Maps/ Waze / Audi app/ MMI navigation.
  • Not a very good navigation app.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by WetEV
80% has varied between about 140 miles (winter, short trips with waiting in parking lots running heat and defog, one such trip getting less than 1 mile/kWh)
to about 210 miles (Mild weather, long trip, speeds mostly under 60 MPH) (Oh, and one long downhill run with a tail wind from Grand Canyon Village to Holbrook AZ at typical freeway speeds)

GOM is somewhat useful as you get closer to empty. But mostly I look at the MMI charging page showing percentage, and at the MMI "% left at destination" displays.

+1 for using ABRP for trip planning. While it does have some flaws and limitations, it is very useful.

ABRP Flaws:
  • Database of charging stations isn't very good. Use Plugshare, charging network apps/web pages and such to fill in. You can add a waypoint in ABRP and make it a charging stop. Or/or add a non-existing charger into the list of chargers not to use.
  • Mapping is based on Open Street Map. Some routes are wrong due to inconsistent quality of OSM. While you can fix these when you find these, you should cross check with Google Maps/ Bing Maps/ Apple Maps/ Waze / Audi app/ MMI navigation.
  • Not a very good navigation app.
This is a hidden SUPER useful navigation feature. And one of the features that prevents me from using Android Auto.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

290 miles. But it's a BMW iX....
Old 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
290 miles. But it's a BMW iX....
The iX is a phenomenally effiicient SUV. It beat a Tesla MX in a 70mph highway range test. Too bad it's so expensive.

Quick Reply: How much range are you getting at 80% charged