Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Wireless carplay not working now

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Wireless carplay not working now

Not sure what’s happening with my wireless CarPlay. I have had the car a year and a half and essentially it almost always connects (lucky me). Sometimes it does not and I need to manually click on the wifi “Audi MMI 5617 5 GHz”.

fir the past week or so, I cannot connect wirelessly. I am getting an error shown in the attachment. Once in a while I get the Apple CarPlay screen on the MMI for a couple of seconds and it goes away. Any thoughts?

Old 12-16-2020, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

If you look at your wifi connections on your phone, does it show the Audi 5G hot spot as the one that is selected AND that it is "CONNECTED"; or, does it show the Audi hot spot is the one that it is selected AND that is "CONNECTED WITHOUT INTERNET"? The latter means your phone has connected to the car hotspot router, but that the car router is having trouble connecting to the internet.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the message. I don’t see those options. Here are screenshots of what I have.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I had this happen. I turned off auto-login and turned on auto-join and it has been working since then.

Internet can go through the phone or the car router. Since I no longer have the internet connection on the car router, the wifi connects now but Internet is all through the phone.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wish that solved the problem.

i too don’t have wifi router for the car... just the phone. Always worked fine.

i have tried toggling on and off the auto join and auto login. It seems like the CarPlay wants to come on the mmi. It’s there for a second or two. Then the myAudi app opens in the phone and it disappears and I get that error screen.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, that happened to me. Tried to connect for a second, then disconnected.
I set Auto login to off, Auto join to Yes.
Rebooted phone. Car completely off
Phone back on
Turn car on
Now it connects every time.

It was rather recent after working all the time, then stopped working every time. Above is what I did and never have had a problem since.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I've been having issues with the Audi Connect Plus Wifi HotSpot too. Called Audi Connect Support. They said everything good on their end- must be Apple device problem. Apple Senior Tech Support said that it looks like the Audi Connect Plus Wifi HotSpot Router is not pointing to the correct address. I don't get the Audi Splash Screen to sign in my credentials.

It's been acting strange lately (Dec 2) where phone stays on LTE and uses cellular data, however, under Wifi, my 2 Audi Wifi Hotspots are listed under "my networks". myAudi app shows vehicle connection with MMI and Wifi.

I tried turning on privacy and then unchecked it. It connected to the non-5g Wifi network and is using the ATT data. And Wireless CarPlay is working.

Go figure. I wonder if it will still work when I go back next.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

There may have been some changes to how the Audi WiFi connection interacts with things. I don't have Apple Carplay....I'm an Android user. I have the Connect Plus wifi hotspot subscription. Until recently when I would connect my phone to the Audi WiFi, the Connect feature in the MyAudi app would automatically start running in the background on my phone. This gives me access to Amazon Music Unlimited and my Calendar. However, for the past few weeks, the App has stopped starting up automatically. I have to go open the app and click on the "Connect" tab to get the background app to start up (often it says it is doing some sort of Update and I have to wait for that to finish and then I have to completely close the app and start it up again. Annoying!)
Old 12-16-2020, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Does this have any bearing on wired CarPlay issues?
Old 12-17-2020, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

wireless CarPlay is suppose to run on the 5 mhz channel of the Wifi- the Apple Senior Tech says it's suppose to run on Bluetooth, but I think that's incorrect since Audi did not implement wireless CarPlay until the Touchscreen MMI since BT did not have enough bandwidth.

But that's all heresay.

Quick Reply: Wireless carplay not working now