Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

[US] Matrix headlight activation

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Hiya! So dumb question, but I got the interface device for the headlight activation...but what am I supposed to do with it? No instructions came with it, I tried the contact@europrice.us email but no luck there. I assume the euro price folks like this turned around and returned fairly timely for others so don't want to just sit on it, is there an online reference I should use?

In fact, that's one of the downsides of this service -- if you take the car in for service and they reset or upgrade the software, you have to re-apply the headlight activation (which means renting the VAS interface again and scheduling a reinstall).
Yikes, wish I had seen this before the purchase, guess I'll just have to cross my fingers (I guess that's one of the fortunate things about being a lowly 2019 owner though, Audi has probably forgotten all about our software...)

Last edited by Brock Tune; 12-08-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 196 Posts

All orders receive a confirmation email with the PDF instructions. If you had emailed earlier to ask for those instructions again they were re-forwarded to you and likely you want to check your spam folder. I can re-re-forwards from a different email address to see if you receive it there. So long as your order was 100007079 you have another email with instructions and information.

Cheers,

Old 12-08-2023, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's me and just got the re-forwarded instructions, thanks!
Old 12-08-2023, 12:47 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
What is being done in the activation is all from Audi. The activation just turns on the feature of the headlights and car that is factory equipped and every other region of the world has besides North America. The work is done with a factory style diagnostic interface and the factory workshop diagnostic program. No worries about corruption or issues and have never heard or seen one issue like that so far.

Cheers,
Thanks Alex. You have me rethinking this now. Always nice to have other people help me spend my money LOL.
The following users liked this post:
Alex@Europrice.us (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock Tune
Yikes, wish I had seen this before the purchase, guess I'll just have to cross my fingers (I guess that's one of the fortunate things about being a lowly 2019 owner though, Audi has probably forgotten all about our software...)
That's sort of where I was when I made the decision. The likelihood of needing to take my '19 to the dealer again for a software update is slim to none.

That said, Europrice notes on their website that in the event that the coding is wiped out (e.g. by Audi service) that you can "just" rent the VAS interface again and they can re-code it.
Old 12-09-2023, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got it done on mine tonight, apologies to Alex and crew for having not caught the instructions in my spam folder prior to posting on here (And thanks to Sam, hopefully the guy gets a break, shot him a text on a Saturday evening just expecting to schedule a time and he was quick with a "we can just do it now!"). Due to a snow storm couldn't really test it out, but I'll find some dark roads and play around with it soon. Just some caveats for people considering it that I wasn't aware of (and yes, my unawareness of these issues may just be due to my particular brand of stupidity, but just in case there are others):

1) I kind of thought I was going to just get to turn my brights full time and let the matrix effect handle things, but, as mentioned above, its still basically tied to the auto bright settings and only comes on at certain speeds and certain lighting conditions (basically if your auto brights don't already switch on much in your normal commute, you likely won't get much use out of these). So that dashed my hopes of the matrix solving the issue of people thinking my low beams are high beams.

2) you need a WINDOWS laptop and a hotspot that will let it be online in your audi. Initially reached out for the appointment all ready with my macbook and was quickly poo poo'd.

All in all, whatever I end up thinking of the lights, incredibly responsive and convenient service for something that if Audi ever does enable I'm sure would mean hours with the vehicle sitting in a service department (vs 15 minutes on the phone with these guys!).

Old 12-09-2023, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2) you need a WINDOWS laptop and a hotspot that will let it be online in your audi. Initially reached out for the appointment all ready with my macbook and was quickly poo poo'd.
That wasn't true for me. I used a Linux laptop and it worked fine.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skaven81
That wasn't true for me. I used a Linux laptop and it worked fine.
Got it, was just relaying what was told to me, probably didn't have much confidence in throwing "linux" at me after hearing I had a macbook so just kept it to windows for me
Old 12-10-2023, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

its still basically tied to the auto bright settings and only comes on at certain speeds and certain lighting conditions (basically if your auto brights don't already switch on much in your normal commute, you likely won't get much use out of these)
I'd say that's a bit too pessimistic. The whole point of the matrix headlights is that the high beams can come on in situations where normal on/off high beams would not be able to operate. So yes, the baseline is that the matrix lights activate in all the same situations where auto high beams would flip "on". But importantly, they don't just flip "off" the way that traditional auto high beams do. Instead, only the parts of the beam that need to be off, turn off. So you still get all the benefit of high beams even though there are other cars around you, which is not true for traditional on/off high beams.

I did a highway drive last night and noticed that the matrix system seems to integrate with the road sign detection -- even on busy stretches of highway with lots of cars around me, it would literally put a spotlight on the road signs as I drove by them. Made the signs way easier to see.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 196 Posts

If you or anyone is having issues where people think your low beams are your high beams, blinding people with low beams, then you need to have your headlights aimed properly. The low beams should not illicit flashes from other drivers if aimed properly.

Matrix high beams will come on at speed and in low speed city driving they will not activate, but they shouldn't really be needed in that environment. I find for suburban driving they are great, you reach a reasonable speed and they turn on and stay on until almost stopped. It lights up the sidewalks well and gives you that extra light distance to spot things further away, little beady eyes ready to run across the road. When you get out on really dark country roads these are even better.

Cheers,

The following 4 users liked this post by Alex@Europrice.us:
jurnes (12-22-2023), marraccinijd (01-22-2024), mikeru (12-11-2023), thebishman (12-11-2023)

Quick Reply: [US] Matrix headlight activation