Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

2023 e-tron or Q8 etron

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2023 e-tron or Q8 etron

So Audi finally announced the Q8 etron and I am curious to know if any of you guys are on the same boat of perhaps delaying the delivery of 2023 etron and order the Q8 etron instead?

My ordered etron's eta is in January (has been pushed out for a month) and the dealer tells me that the car has been built but is still waiting to get shipped. Now the Q8 etron has been announced it will obviously be a 2024 model year, perhaps won't be available after summer of 2023.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

If I had a 2023 coming in January, I would absolutely wait for the 2024. I bought a 2022 at the end of July and I kind of wish I had waited. It would have only been another 12-13 months. At the time, I figured that the Q8e was still a couple of years away. Had I known that it was exactly one year away, I would have waited.

At this point, I am just hoping that the resale value of my 2022 doesn't crater between now and next summer.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 298 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85

At this point, I am just hoping that the resale value of my 2022 doesn't crater between now and next summer.
I can't predict the future, but I think the demand for EVs is going to continue to increase beyond supply. The residuals on our cars might not be SOOOOO...... crazy as they currently are, but I can't see them tanking either. Current E-trons are amazing cars, only limited by a slight reduction in range compared to the best of the best (and really this is only compared to the newly launched iX).

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I suspect that it will retain its value decently.
The following 3 users liked this post by biff2bart:
Benz903 (11-09-2022), outlawtorn.eth (11-09-2022), Senna777 (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

There will ALWAYS be the next best thing to wait for if that is your mindset. If you want the car now then get the car now. These changes are evolutionary so resale / residual value will have some inherent stability. Porsche has followed the evolutionary model for literally decades and it's worked well for them. At the end of the day the differences between the e-tron and the Q8 e-tron are primarily cosmetic. At first glance I'm not sure I like the Q8 face but I'm sure we'll all get used to that.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am in this very same position. My wife's eTron S Sportback is finally at the dealer, and I'm contemplating giving up to let them sell it to someone on the waitlist. My guess is that I'm balancing:

+significantly longer range, addressing the primary concern that I have with the vehicle
-significantly more expensive and heavier for the equivalent trim level

The car looks shockingly similar to the current model. I thought they would do more to distinguish it in light of the name change/reclassification.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator Gray/Blue TT
I am in this very same position. My wife's eTron S Sportback is finally at the dealer, and I'm contemplating giving up to let them sell it to someone on the waitlist. My guess is that I'm balancing:

+significantly longer range, addressing the primary concern that I have with the vehicle
-significantly more expensive and heavier for the equivalent trim level

The car looks shockingly similar to the current model. I thought they would do more to distinguish it in light of the name change/reclassification.
I agree, it still looks very similar in a lot of ways. And the interior is virtually identical. You will have to decide whether the range is big enough of an issue for you. Given that you ordered a car with a lower range would suggest that at least at some level that was acceptable to you. For myself, the range is more than enough for my daily use. I can still do most of my local road trips with the range it has. If I need to go further, I know it charges pretty fast to not be too big of a hassle. Taking a break every 2-3 hours is actually kind of nice.

The other part to keep in mind is that while the car market, in general, may relax in the near future making getting a car easier, this likely will take longer for EVs. So the way I look at it is, that I can just keep driving my 2019 e-tron until availability for EVs improves (or maybe even longer depending on how it holds up). Given the small differences to the Q8 e-tron, I am still riding in just as much style and comfort. I am not sure how frequently you tend to swap out cars. I tend to keep them for a long time anyway.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasW
I agree, it still looks very similar in a lot of ways. And the interior is virtually identical. You will have to decide whether the range is big enough of an issue for you. Given that you ordered a car with a lower range would suggest that at least at some level that was acceptable to you. For myself, the range is more than enough for my daily use. I can still do most of my local road trips with the range it has. If I need to go further, I know it charges pretty fast to not be too big of a hassle. Taking a break every 2-3 hours is actually kind of nice.

The other part to keep in mind is that while the car market, in general, may relax in the near future making getting a car easier, this likely will take longer for EVs. So the way I look at it is, that I can just keep driving my 2019 e-tron until availability for EVs improves (or maybe even longer depending on how it holds up). Given the small differences to the Q8 e-tron, I am still riding in just as much style and comfort. I am not sure how frequently you tend to swap out cars. I tend to keep them for a long time anyway.
Yes, the range is mostly emotional for my wife, who will be driving the car. Funny thing is that the sales agent told her that there would be a program that would allow us to replace the battery with the larger battery at some point in the future. I totally do not believe that, but the fact that she volunteered that without prompting suggests that even they are sensitive to the question. We'll probably get the car anyway. It would be a LOT easier to decide if the Q8 deliveries did not start so soon.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Once the Q8 shows up with they continue to make the Standard Etron?

Old 11-10-2022, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 705 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator Gray/Blue TT
Funny thing is that the sales agent told her that there would be a program that would allow us to replace the battery with the larger battery at some point in the future. I totally do not believe that, but the fact that she volunteered that without prompting suggests that even they are sensitive to the question. We'll probably get the car anyway. It would be a LOT easier to decide if the Q8 deliveries did not start so soon.
Funniest and most ridiculous statement ever from an Audi employee. I am still waiting for my MMI software update and Plug and Charge. (Actually, no longer waiting, just assuming it will NEVER happen).
Old 11-10-2022, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 705 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Once the Q8 shows up with they continue to make the Standard Etron?
No. Q8 e-tron is the evolution of the e-tron. Same car, new name. Same as when they renamed the e-tron in North America to the e-tron quattro in '21.

Quick Reply: 2023 e-tron or Q8 etron