Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

240V plug or charging station?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 240V plug or charging station?

Hi all - new etron owner here. Wondering what are the benefits of getting a charging station (chargepoint etc) vs just installing a 240V outlet and using the provided Audi cable for home use? A decent station is $500+ so wondering what I’m missing there? Thanks!
Old 09-13-2020, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Some of the better ones like Chargepoint allow time of day charging to save on electric rates.

I've also noticed that my Chargepoint Flex cable and connector set at 40 amps runs significantly cooler that the Audi charger running at the same ~9 kW rate.

I also like the peace of mind in having the Audi charger with me as a plan B when I can't find a normal charging station.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Also charging station has a bit longer cord, plus you can store the cord on the station when not in use.

Its all about convenience, there’s no reason you can’t use the included Audi charger and a wall outlet.

If you do it, make sure to get the high end Hubbell outlet 9450A (I think), it alone costs like $90, but there have been multiple reports on here of cheap outlets wearing/shorting out. An EV sucks a lot of energy, lots of thermal expansions.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

1) keep Audi charger in frunk for travel and back up Would hate to need it only to remember it is in the garage at home.
2) smart chargers allow time of day programming to take advantage of best electric rates (in my area, super off peak is 5.5x cheaper than peak.
3) smart charger allows to track electric expenses specific to ev
4) chargepoint charges car faster by about 15%
5) there is a 30% tax credit this year for getting a chargepoint or other charger and any required electrician work.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:38 PM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I've been researching this topic lately myself. At first I figured I'd probably just use the included portable and get a nema 14-50 outlet put in.
The more I thought about it though I like the idea of just leaving the portable stowed so I take it with me. Honestly in my local driving thse last couple weeks I've just left it in the garage and since I'm only commuting short distances there really is no reason to have it with me. Still, the wall mount is just "cleaner" to deal with.

Now to go smart or not.... I get now break from my power company....and don't really care about tracking usage so much...so I'm seeing little advantage for me to go "smart" with it. The smart ones might be better in the future if things change. The only thing that appeals to me at the moment is that some allow you in the app to change the charge rate...intention si so you can dial it back if you have a lower amp rated circuit...but seems to me better to dial it back just to keep things cooler and the overall load in the panel lower when I don't need the higher rate....so while I might be capable of charging at 40A, 48A, or 50A depending on which one I get I might just set it to charge at a slower 30A or something for routine use....but I'm not thinking that little benefit is worth the extra money to go "smart"
Old 09-13-2020, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

May want to look through this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...s-one-3004184/
Old 09-13-2020, 08:51 PM
SWFla-eTron

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My advice is get 240v outlet installed and use the Audi supplied unit. If it works for you, stick with it and save $. Me? I have a Juice Box that I bought on sale from Costco 18 mos ago. It failed after a yr but it was promptly replaced. It has a 3 yr guarantee. I love the convenience of having a wall mounted unit with a place to hang the cord. I have the 2nd generation unit that has been superseded by a 3rd gen model.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Just installed (2) 14-50 outlets this weekend. One inside garage and one outside. Why?,.... well I've wanted a Clarity for 2 years and now that I moved to back to the suburbs so the wife can work from the house/office I am forced to drive 100 miles a day for the 3 days I go into the office, the 47 mile range on electric sure looks nice. The inside one is for the Q5e.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by glc888
Just installed (2) 14-50 outlets this weekend. One inside garage and one outside. Why?,.... well I've wanted a Clarity for 2 years and now that I moved to back to the suburbs so the wife can work from the house/office I am forced to drive 100 miles a day for the 3 days I go into the office, the 47 mile range on electric sure looks nice. The inside one is for the Q5e.
Did you put them on separate circuits or the same? I am assuming separate. Funny as it were, I, too, was also doing some electrical work this weekend. I pulled some #4 NM wire into a new junction box from my main panel in preparation for hardwiring my ChargePoint Flex. Right now my 14-50 receptacle that it is currently plugged into is hung off of sub-panel that is shared with the rest of the garage. Since I do woodworking, it is quite possible for me to overload that subpanel (60 amp) when running my table saw, dust collector, air compressor, shop lighting and also charging my eTron all at the same time. So, this new dedicated circuit to the main panel will remove the vehicle charging load from the subpanel and also allow me to bump up the AC charging rate to the maximum that the eTron allows (11kw), which is why I ran #4 (70A circuit).
Old 09-14-2020, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Put them each on separate 240V/50A circuits.
The following users liked this post:
WildBTK (09-14-2020)

Quick Reply: 240V plug or charging station?