Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

AC Fan blower noise under hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AC Fan blower noise under hood

It's been a few months now (i suspect driven by the cold weather), whenever the AC or fan is on in my 22 sportback there is a noise that increases as the fan speed in the car goes up. I suspect it is related to fan because when I turn it off the sound completely goes away. Any one else experiencing or experienced this issue? I have a service appointment a month from now hoping it is a quick fix.

Old 01-15-2023, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Are you are saying that when you are operating HVAC, you can hear the fan? At high speeds you will be able to hear the fan?

But if you want the fan to be at its quietest, ensure that your rear HVAC is turned off. Part of the rear passenger heating and cooling algorithm, increases the fan speed to the windscreen in order to push heat or cold air to the back. If you turn off the rear HVAC through the MMI it will really throttle back, resulting in a quieter cabin.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks it's not the sound of the fan. The fan sound is pretty obvious. It sounds like an obstruction inside the fan. Here's the video. https://drive.google.com/file/d/11al...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 01-15-2023, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Oh yes, you have some sort of impediment. I'd just run it by service. If you really want to troubleshoot yourself, I'd start with opening up the cabin air filter housing etc. But if the fan has any sort of damage from whatever it is striking, I'd want Audi to replace it under warranty.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Strange I feel like I had this noise not too long ago as well. It was definitely not the normal fan noise you hear but it was only that one day/evening I heard it with it not happening again.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm having the same issue that started as soon as the weather changed. I can hear the noise at a complete stop anything over parking lot speeds I can't hear it.
Just left the dealer for the issue a TSB is out for it (TSB 2063467/4.)

The dealer resecured compressor springs and adjusted lines. The service manager said if the noise comes back the TSB says to replace the compressor.
Well, I'll be back to get that done because the day after I left the dealer the noise started again.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is great thank you. I agree it started as soon as the weather changed I didn't notice it over the summer. Hopefully not a long wait to get it fixed service is already a month out.
Old 01-16-2023, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

No problem, I'm going to speak to the service manager in the morning and see if the part is in stock. If not I'll just have him order it and
I'll bring the vehicle in when it arrives I don't want my vehicle sitting there for a month.

I'll keep you updated!
Old 01-19-2023, 02:13 PM
2022 etron Sportbac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, same issue 22 Sportsback, Audi just replaced the Compressor and its mounting - colder the weather the more prevalent the sound

Last edited by Jmazz; 01-19-2023 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jmazz
yes, same issue 22 Sportsback, Audi just replaced the Compressor and its mounting - there may be a service bulletin on this.

I'm waiting on my service manager to setup my appointment to have the same thing done.

Quick Reply: AC Fan blower noise under hood