Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

AC Fan blower noise under hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Got the car back - compressor was replaced
And all good....until I got home and after a couple of off/ons of the car, same noise.

@ocean1 the noise you had - was it identical to the one I have? I'll re-post the video of mine but I find it strange your fix was external to the compressor when it is (to me) quite obvious it is something that is spinning up/down.
The noise I have is like an engine spinning up fast and then spun down to an "idle" but still audible. I don't understand how a valve can do this assuming the valve is a open/shut mechanism rather than the spinning noise I'm hearing which is more like something spinning but with a stick against the propeller.
It reminds me of my "youth" when you put a crushed can on the back wheel of a pedal bike.... that noise when you ride faster...and then the spin-down noise as you slowed down.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aj84
Got the car back - compressor was replaced
And all good....until I got home and after a couple of off/ons of the car, same noise.

@ocean1 the noise you had - was it identical to the one I have? I'll re-post the video of mine but I find it strange your fix was external to the compressor when it is (to me) quite obvious it is something that is spinning up/down.
The noise I have is like an engine spinning up fast and then spun down to an "idle" but still audible. I don't understand how a valve can do this assuming the valve is a open/shut mechanism rather than the spinning noise I'm hearing which is more like something spinning but with a stick against the propeller.
It reminds me of my "youth" when you put a crushed can on the back wheel of a pedal bike.... that noise when you ride faster...and then the spin-down noise as you slowed down.
Happy to check out the video. I thought the same as you and was convinced it was a fan or motor making the noise. The valve was replaced in Feb this year after over 2 years of the noise. It has been quiet since. My understanding is that this valves failure caused refrigerant line(s) to rattle against another surface.