Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Ambient light retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ambient light retrofit

My car was dealer stock and as such I couldn’t add options. Ambient lighting being one of the options I missed out on. No biggie though…I just added my own.

Lighting is run of the mill fiber LED kind from Amazon. The kind with smartphone control. I used the exact same to enhance the single colour ambient lighting in my ex-BMW 650i vert.

On the e-tron the footwell lower lighting was easy to do but the dash strips were a PITA. On the longer piece of dash trim I ended up separating the chrome-look piece from the plastic part (by grinding off the molten ABS securing tabs) to glue the fiber light guide down. I then joined the two pieces again using ABS paste. The LED modules are all neatly tucked away behind the trim pieces and the cables routed out of sight. Power comes from the rear 12V outlet withe the control module for the LED lights hidden behind the rear lower center console trim.

The installation took two hours or so but the fiber install on the dash trim took two days (including the drying time for the ABS paste). All in all very happy with the result.

The following users liked this post:
marraccinijd (11-06-2023)
Old 09-19-2021, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

@NZ_Etron: Looks good, just two questions, if you do not mind:

Can you post a picture of this in daylight? I just would like to see how it looks during the day with out light switched on.

Also the light around the safety belt base (next to the seat), is factory fitted or you did that too?

Thanks,
Old 09-19-2021, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by anemeth
@NZ_Etron: Looks good, just two questions, if you do not mind:

Can you post a picture of this in daylight? I just would like to see how it looks during the day with out light switched on.

Also the light around the safety belt base (next to the seat), is factory fitted or you did that too?

Thanks,
Nope the seatbelt lights are factory. Most of the factory ambient lighting is actually installed (doors, centre console area) apart from the two dash pieces. It's just disabled in the software. As for my retrofit, see attached daytime photos. Only place it's visible is the lower footwell trim, but I am working on a frame that I'll 3D print to go behind that piece. The frame will hold the fiber light guide in place behind the trim piece so as to make it invisible

The following users liked this post:
marraccinijd (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, this looks awesome. Any chance you have videos of the installation? How did you pass the light on the dash near the steering column area?

Originally Posted by NZ_Etron
My car was dealer stock and as such I couldn’t add options. Ambient lighting being one of the options I missed out on. No biggie though…I just added my own.

Lighting is run of the mill fiber LED kind from Amazon. The kind with smartphone control. I used the exact same to enhance the single colour ambient lighting in my ex-BMW 650i vert.

On the e-tron the footwell lower lighting was easy to do but the dash strips were a PITA. On the longer piece of dash trim I ended up separating the chrome-look piece from the plastic part (by grinding off the molten ABS securing tabs) to glue the fiber light guide down. I then joined the two pieces again using ABS paste. The LED modules are all neatly tucked away behind the trim pieces and the cables routed out of sight. Power comes from the rear 12V outlet withe the control module for the LED lights hidden behind the rear lower center console trim.

The installation took two hours or so but the fiber install on the dash trim took two days (including the drying time for the ABS paste). All in all very happy with the result.