Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Audi connect error on registering key user

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Audi Connect works fine

Key User, which is for purposes of the app only, is not working for new registrations. It is in process of being solved at Germany's side.

Amazing to me how seemingly uninformed your SA's are. There is an entire site we use dedicated to Audi Connect, Key User Registrations and the like, and every staffmember who interacts with this stuff is encouraged to sign up for Auto Notirications so that when any outage happens, or is solved, they are messaged about it.

It's inconvenient when outages occur, no doubt about it, but unfortunately, they are reality, especially when new systems such as what comes on the 21's, are rolled out.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Audi Connect works fine

Key User, which is for purposes of the app only, is not working for new registrations. It is in process of being solved at Germany's side.

Amazing to me how seemingly uninformed your SA's are. There is an entire site we use dedicated to Audi Connect, Key User Registrations and the like, and every staffmember who interacts with this stuff is encouraged to sign up for Auto Notirications so that when any outage happens, or is solved, they are messaged about it.

It's inconvenient when outages occur, no doubt about it, but unfortunately, they are reality, especially when new systems such as what comes on the 21's, are rolled out.
My SA was great to work with but now that I reflect on the experience, I had to coax a lot of information out of him or else he wouldn't volunteer it. I didn't even know about audi connect and had to look up its abilities online. We never set myself as a key user at the dealership (nor informed me to do so) so I did it over the phone. It's my first audi so I'm learning a lot but it would've been nice to know all of this up front. Very happy with the 2021 SQ5 and I got an amazing deal so can't really complain. The inability to register new key users is odd especially since audiconnect itself is working fine for those already registered.

I've done everything correctly, set myself as a "myaudi" user and not a "local" user in the vehicle profiles, downloaded the myaudi app, registered my email, logged in and entered VIN of vehicle, can see the car in the app but no audiconnect functions yet, completed the key user agreement, and just need to now enter my vehicle code in the SQ5 itself. Frustrating because I can't activate the wifi trial until key user registration is enabled. "Setting the key user has failed, an error has occurred" until further notice...

If anyone is successful registering, be sure to post. I'll check this thread daily.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi. I was finally able to register as the Key User after nearly 3 weeks of being told about the server outages. Followed these steps:

1. de-registered my car from the My Audi app account
2. held volume button down fpr 20 seconds to reset the car's system
3. registered my car with the My Audi app
4. followed the Key User set up process on the MMI (entered user names & code)

Finally!
Old 12-20-2020, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by eTronical
Hi. I was finally able to register as the Key User after nearly 3 weeks of being told about the server outages. Followed these steps:

1. de-registered my car from the My Audi app account
2. held volume button down fpr 20 seconds to reset the car's system
3. registered my car with the My Audi app
4. followed the Key User set up process on the MMI (entered user names & code)

Finally!
interesting. So even though there are still server outages, by doing those steps you were able to register? I’ll have to give that a try
Old 12-21-2020, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was able to register key user this morning. USA east coast. Can't retrieve vehicle status yet however, guessing I have to enable the wifi trial?
Old 12-21-2020, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Merrick33
I was able to register key user this morning. USA east coast. Can't retrieve vehicle status yet however, guessing I have to enable the wifi trial?
You should be able to obtain the vehicle status without the trial. This is supposed to work for at least the first 10 years without any subscriptions.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 549 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasW
You should be able to obtain the vehicle status without the trial. This is supposed to work for at least the first 10 years without any subscriptions.
That's correct. The status, remote features, SOS calls, and NAV for the E Tron are all included in the Basic Connect package that comes activated for all cars at no cost. You might try logging out of your MyAudi app and back in. Sometimes that helps clear up communication issues. Just a word of warning, when I logged out of my MyAudi app account a few weeks ago it took me 3+ days to get it to log back in!
Old 12-23-2020, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had same problem, my dealer instructed me to finish agreement procedure ( on myaudi.com / account/ agreements , create 4digit PIN, get mToken to verify myself, get final confirmation by mail ) after this I had successfully registered my self as key user in audi A6 after two weeks every day trying and getting “ Key user not created, Connection error, try later”
Old 12-26-2020, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Key User Registration Outage

I just purchased a 2021 Audi SQ5 here in the US on 12/10/20. I am unable to complete the last step of the key user registration. I do not have the icon that enables set-up. I called Audi Customer Service and they advised that the outage was fixed on December 10, 2020. I am still unable to register as the icon does not appear for me to do so. Customer Support recommended I take it in for service. I contacted the dealership and they state their is an outage with an indefinite time period for fixing. Not sure what to do at this point. Has anyone had the issue where the icon does not appear to complete the registration?
Old 12-26-2020, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not worth the stress!!!!

I too was extremely frustrated after spending $90K on a brand new 2021 Q8 and not being able to register. After waiting nearly 4 weeks, it finally worked. How many times have I used the app since I’ve registered? Maybe twice in the last month. It’s not even worth it. You can lock and unlock the car, but you can’t remote start it. I don’t need to know how much gas is in my tank through an app!!!! I know all of you will remain frustrated, but try to enjoy your new Audi as it really is a superb vehicle without the silly app.

Quick Reply: Audi connect error on registering key user