Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Audi E-tron/Q8 E-tron vs Audi E-tron S/SQ8 E-tronn

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2023, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Audi E-tron/Q8 E-tron vs Audi E-tron S/SQ8 E-tronn

Starting conversation for those considering purchasing either the E-Tron/Q8 Etron or E-tron S/SQ8 E-tron (not sure if there is a thread similar). I have owned a 2019 E-tron Prestige and recently traded it in for a 2023 E-tron S.

The 2019 had over 40K miles on it and has seen every weather and terrain variation to drive in except desert. It was my favorite riding car I ever owned (and I was a multiple Range Rover & Range Rover Sport & BMW 7 series fan/owners prior)

The 2023 S has a bit over 600 miles on it - so early yet. That said, while I was worried about the potential trade-off of performance of the S vs the comfort of the E-tron (based on some YouTube and written articles), as well as the cost difference between the two - I can say with no hesitation, the E-Tron S is the best driving and riding (comfort) vehicle I've ever owned. (and perhaps the best looking). There is no remorse as to the cost difference to what this amazing vehicle offers over and above the regular version.

As well, I had read the same about the Sport seats with the S versus the Massage seats of the Regular Prestige in the color choice I picked over black. Again, though only 600 miles, I can say here again, the YouTube/written articles IMO were wrong - the Sport seats are so much more comfortable in a drive/ride.

So hopefully, this can start dialogue on both variations of the Audi E-tron/Q8 E-tron and Audi E-tron S/SQ8 E-tron and give it a 'forum' to help all of us make purchasing decisions and hear it from actual owners.

No matter what, we've all said it before, they both are amazing vehicles - my advice - don't let the price nor concern about comfort stop you from considering the S version. It actually surpasses in so many ways. (the range is about the same as my 2019 - 2.5kwh avg )

Cheers !
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 300 Likes on 164 Posts

Will love to see how the range works out once you have several thousand miles on your new E-tron S.

The Q8 and SQ8 e-trons have such a large "official" difference in effective range: it really remains to be seen how close they are in the real world. I also wonder if it's just the wheelset accounting for most of the range reduction?

BTW: post some pics of your new ride!

b-tron (04-15-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 2022 e-tron S Prestige with sport seats and I agree it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.
It's so comfortable and fun to drive doesn't feel like you're driving a 6000-pound SUV at all.

At this time the only vehicle that can replace it is another etron S. I also love that it doesn't look like an EV people are blown away
when I tell them it's all electric.
b-tron (04-15-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ride comfort

First thing that surprised me over the post above is the comfort level… honestly, I currently own a Sportback S and this is my third Etron in 3 years and totaling over 100k miles combined. I’m already over 20k miles on my S and drove it all winter in Canada.

Don’t get me wrong, this is the best version I drove and an amazing car but not as comfortable as my previous e Tron. Mainly because of the suspension slightly different setup, more aggressive and sportier combined with the 22 inch (285-35-22) that knock heavier. Drive Both regular and S version on dynamic mode back to back on same road and their is no way you can say that the comfort level is the same I’m sorry.. you feel less of a difference in comfort mode but certainly see the diff in dynamic.

I’ve done a review a while ago if you are curious…

cheers

for the tread search under :

e-tron S Sportback Review

Last edited by Senna777; 04-14-2023 at 05:19 PM.
b-tron (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by biff2bart
Will love to see how the range works out once you have several thousand miles on your new E-tron S.

The Q8 and SQ8 e-trons have such a large "official" difference in effective range: it really remains to be seen how close they are in the real world. I also wonder if it's just the wheelset accounting for most of the range reduction?

Will keep everyone up to speed with mileage returns - and yes, here goes some pics !

The following 2 users liked this post by b-tron:
Bill33525 (05-11-2023), thebishman (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Senna777
First thing that surprised me over the post above is the comfort level… honestly, I currently own a Sportback S and this is my third Etron in 3 years and totaling over 100k miles combined. I’m already over 20k miles on my S and drove it all winter in Canada.

Don’t get me wrong, this is the best version I drove and an amazing car but not as comfortable as my previous e Tron. Mainly because of the suspension slightly different setup, more aggressive and sportier combined with the 22 inch (285-35-22) that knock heavier. Drive Both regular and S version on dynamic mode back to back on same road and their is no way you can say that the comfort level is the same I’m sorry.. you feel less of a difference in comfort mode but certainly see the diff in dynamic.

I’ve done a review a while ago if you are curious…

cheers

for the tread search under :

e-tron S Sportback Review

Yes, great review and for sure, agree with a lot of the "why didn't they". Seems we're a bit apart of the Comfort component - wondering if there is a Suspension and Steering change/updgrade between the 2022 and the 2023 ? (which mine is a 2023 Prestige S and think yours is a 2022 Prestige S ?). I think I had read about the updates to those components but of course, it's difficult to tell what latest or not made it into our cars.

As well, my quick early comments are on 600 miles - one thing which is great about this forum, it gives people a chance to hear it from us, the actual owners and early on, seems like those of us with the S version have absolutely no regrets in the additional motor/drive/comfort and subsequent price over the already great Regular E-tron/Q8 E-tron. Time and more of us weighing in should tell.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=b-tron;25807622]Yes, great review and for sure, agree with a lot of the "why didn't they". Seems we're a bit apart of the Comfort component - wondering if there is a Suspension and Steering change/updgrade between the 2022 and the 2023 ? (which mine is a 2023 Prestige S and think yours is a 2022 Prestige S ?). I think I had read about the updates to those components but of course, it's difficult to tell what latest or not made it into our cars.

Yup, the only diff between the two of us is 2022 vs 2023… And if you don’t seem to find the suspension that harsh… I have to guess they might have change some geometry pertaining the suspension. There is nothing else I can see since again, on my end I’ve feel a huge difference and unfortunately losing comfort from the 2021 prestige non-S . But, all that to gain even more traction and grip in hard cornering….

I’ll try to make some research on my end.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by biff2bart

Couple thousand miles now. Temp of 70's day/40's night - 220 miles range in Auto mode in mixed Mountain, highway and city. Temp of 40's day/30's night mixed Auto and Sport mode in Mountain/curved county roads - 198 or so. Ride/drive and Sport seats with 22" Summer tires continue to make the experience better than the 2019 Prestige E-tron w 21" All seasons & Massage seats I just had...and thought that was as good as it could get ! Will keep the mileage updated but shocked in a good way with the car.

Really starting to wonder if the 2024 SQ8 E-tron will be coming this year or perhaps even prior to the new platform version - for those on the fence for an current "S" version - jump - amazing vehicle !
thebishman (05-11-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

This is very timely for me @b-tron , so thanks for posting it and keeping it updated. And @Senna777 , your review is very helpful too! I currently have a 2021 e-tron and love it after 35k miles, so was planning on buying out the lease in December, but came across a very lightly used 2023 e-tron S, so I am very interested in your comparisons. Didn't think about the ride comfort so interesting to hear some people notice a difference - I usually put it in efficiency mode to get the lowest ride height to get that "avant" appearance (I also have the car lowered with the FST), and my wife always puts it in comfort mode. I am mostly concerned about the range though, as making a decrease is a hard concept to be ok with. Most days I currently charge to only 70% and then plug in every 2 nights, so I think I'd be ok with the lower range. What's your long-term average mi/kwhr?
My current car has had only a couple of minor software glitches, so I am tempted to keep it, as it sounds like most other e-trons have more significant issues than mine - I got a good one, and don't want to risk getting one that'll potentially have issues. Everything operating fine with yours so far?
My dealer has some 2024 Q8 e-trons on the lot but couldn't see any SQ8 e-trons allocated to them in the distance for quite a while, and said they'd guess they'd be about 1 year away.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

The SQ8 etron will definitely be released on the old platform. The range is anticipated to be EPA 275mi (10 mi less than the Q8 etron SUV). I would not hold my breath waiting for the Q8 etron to come out on the new PPE platform. The Q6 etron is now over a year behind schedule and still not ready:

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/05/vo...audi-vehicles/

Last edited by JNealCox; 05-16-2023 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi E-tron/Q8 E-tron vs Audi E-tron S/SQ8 E-tronn