Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Audi (Im)Pure Protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts
Default Audi (Im)Pure Protection

Well, so far the Audi Pure Protection coverage seems to be less than stellar.

I took the car in for service and asked that they also reattach the door gasket (the passenger-side is now peeling off, had the driver-side done some time ago). Dealer said they won't reattach it (as in put a dab of adhesive under it) as that does not conform to Audi's "repair guidelines". They said they sought coverage under Pure Protection and I was told gaskets are excluded. This is precisly the kind of crap that a "Platinum" manufacturer-backed warranty is supposed to do. I pay for max coverage, they deal with everything that is not a wear item or such.

Having the customer pay the big bucks and then argue about such minutia is truly an excellent sales prevention strategy!

Old 07-24-2024, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah, I noticed that in the fine print of every extended warranty that I have seen. Gaskets/seals are considered wear items, and are excluded. My '22 will be two years old at the end of this month so I will be shopping for an extended warranty before too long. Not surprisingly, they seem to have gone up in price over the last couple of years. I'm pretty much forced to get an extended warranty though. The car has lost a lot of it's value, and there is no point selling it.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by coldrain85
Yeah, I noticed that in the fine print of every extended warranty that I have seen. Gaskets/seals are considered wear items, and are excluded. My '22 will be two years old at the end of this month so I will be shopping for an extended warranty before too long. Not surprisingly, they seem to have gone up in price over the last couple of years. I'm pretty much forced to get an extended warranty though. The car has lost a lot of it's value, and there is no point selling it.
Gaskets as in engine gaskets and such, sure. The gasket around a door that gets open a couple of times a month peeling off is not wear but a material defect. Between that and the fact that what I really wanted was just a dab of glue (which I had purchased myself, for a few bucks, the exact one that Audi uses and they themselves recommended), but somehow applying that was too much of a task for them, I’m getting to the point where I’ve had it with this “premium” experience.

I suppose what used to be basic business courtesy has evolved to become unreasonable expectation. Perhaps it’s time to switch brands, after 20 years. SMH
Old 07-25-2024, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

The gasket isn't covered under the warranty though. You are asking them to do extra stuff for free. I get it, the fix would be quick and would only require a bit of glue, but dealership service centers are in it for the money. Even if the car is under a factory warranty they will sometimes try to gaslight you and weasel out fixing something. They all do it. Not just Audi.
Old 07-25-2024, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by coldrain85
The gasket isn't covered under the warranty though. You are asking them to do extra stuff for free. I get it, the fix would be quick and would only require a bit of glue, but dealership service centers are in it for the money. Even if the car is under a factory warranty they will sometimes try to gaslight you and weasel out fixing something. They all do it. Not just Audi.
The word "free" was never mentioned.
Old 07-25-2024, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is free because you are asking them to do something that isn't covered under the warranty. Service centers at dealerships tend to be the most stingy, and also bound by rules. The warranty says no seals/gaskets and they are taking it literally. Audi service techs probably don't have the wiggle room to fix the door seal off the books. A private repair shop would be more likely to fix it on the spot with no hassle.
Old 07-25-2024, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes a goodwill fix goes a very long way, IMO. Free or not, the dealership will lose business by refusing a long-time customer a simple fix. Not just in the case of the OP, but I have also done this myself in the past. If the dealer can't take a simple step to assist me as a loyal customer, then there is no need for me to pay premium costs for parts/maintenance from them.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

i just used my first claim with APP for a leaking rear suspension bushing that the found during 70k inspection service. those bushings are surprisingly covered under the Platinum plan and not a wear and tear item. original estimate was $775 and they got it approved by Audi. i paid the $250 deductible at pickup. it was pretty easy and no fuss.

btw, i did ask if they could do the L Rear bushing also at the same time since then i'd only have to pay the deductible once. but they said it needs to show evidence of leak or crack to be covered.