Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Charging stopped off the target

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Charging stopped off the target

I know there is a previous thread about how when using the timer, the charging is a few percentages off the target.

I do not use the timer, or the schedule, or the climate preconditioning. There didn't used to be a problem when I first got the car, but lately, no matter what limit I set the charger to, be it 80 or 90 (those are my usual targets), it will charge to 78 to 82 when set to 80%, and anywhere from 88-93 when set to 90%. Not sure why it is doing this; using my apartment complex's Blink Charging stations which I have been using since the beginning. Arguably not a big deal, but really messes with my ocd.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I know there is a previous thread about how when using the timer, the charging is a few percentages off the target.

I do not use the timer, or the schedule, or the climate preconditioning. There didn't used to be a problem when I first got the car, but lately, no matter what limit I set the charger to, be it 80 or 90 (those are my usual targets), it will charge to 78 to 82 when set to 80%, and anywhere from 88-93 when set to 90%. Not sure why it is doing this; using my apartment complex's Blink Charging stations which I have been using since the beginning. Arguably not a big deal, but really messes with my ocd.
I have started noticing this as well.

I had always chalked it up to climate control or battery reconditioning, but I am noticing this more now than two years ago.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Are you plugging in and starting a charge on a warm battery and then checking the SoC in the morning after cold soaking?
Old 06-27-2024, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
Are you plugging in and starting a charge on a warm battery and then checking the SoC in the morning after cold soaking?
this is overnight charging. Like, coming home from work after driving 20 minutes, plugging it in and it starts charging, and then coming back to the car in the morning.
The following users liked this post:
MyAudiQ8ET (06-29-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are lucky... the other day I tried to charge to 50% overnight and when I got into the car it had stopped at 30%! The wall charger reported that the car stopped pulling power after 3 hours. I never set a timer or anything. Just one more piece of aggravation on this expensive car as their software is junk and, frankly, we should file a class action lawsuit for misleading us regarding features and capabilities that do not exist.

It's no wonder they invested in Rivian... probably the only way they'll get better technology and hopefully be able to fire the existing teams as they clearly have no clue, from mobile app to in-vehicle tech to automatic cruise, etc.
The following users liked this post:
MyAudiQ8ET (06-29-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by jskyler
You are lucky... the other day I tried to charge to 50% overnight and when I got into the car it had stopped at 30%! The wall charger reported that the car stopped pulling power after 3 hours. I never set a timer or anything. Just one more piece of aggravation on this expensive car as their software is junk and, frankly, we should file a class action lawsuit for misleading us regarding features and capabilities that do not exist.

It's no wonder they invested in Rivian... probably the only way they'll get better technology and hopefully be able to fire the existing teams as they clearly have no clue, from mobile app to in-vehicle tech to automatic cruise, etc.
That sounds like the problem created when you have home charging rules set up and then you set a timer.

Try removing the home charging rules.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

this is overnight charging. Like, coming home from work after driving 20 minutes, plugging it in and it starts charging, and then coming back to the car in the morning.
Yeah exactly that.

So the battery finished charging and then cold soaked for a few hours.

SoC is temperature dependent.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
Yeah exactly that.

So the battery finished charging and then cold soaked for a few hours.

SoC is temperature dependent.
how do you explain it charging more than the set target? I also arrive to my car at 82 when set to 80%....
I also live in California, garage charging, ambient air temp will also be around 60-70 degrees
Old 06-27-2024, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
That sounds like the problem created when you have home charging rules set up and then you set a timer.

Try removing the home charging rules.
I never setup any home charging rules and there are none present so definitely not that. But I appreciate your pointing that out as a possibility.
Old 06-27-2024, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

how do you explain it charging more than the set target? I also arrive to my car at 82 when set to 80%....
I also live in California, garage charging, ambient air temp will also be around 60-70 degrees
Is that at 82% exactly when the car finishes charging or is that 82% in the morning when you go to leave?

80% on a hot battery might be 82% on a cold battery.

Quick Reply: Charging stopped off the target