Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Drive System and All-Wheel Drive Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Drive System and All-Wheel Drive Malfunction

Got two back to back error messages tonight - "Drive system: malfunction!" and "All-wheel drive: malfunction!". Was driving around 40 mph at the time on local roads. After the errors, car was driveable but no recharge on braking. Once I made it home, I turned the car off/on and the messages cleared.

This vehicle is an 11/19 build with 2,100 babied miles. Bought it a month ago. Instantly dreading the service appointment hassle.

Has anyone encountered these specific two error messages at the same time?

Old 08-11-2020, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same errors reappearing after driving for only a few minutes. Dropped off the vehicle at the dealership. Unfortunately, they can't look at it until tomorrow. Was told that their e-tron tech has to conference an e-tron tech from the Audi mothership to perform the diagnosis. I may be paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.
The following users liked this post:
newmanium (08-11-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have dealt with both of these errors, and many more, on two separate e-Trons I have owned. I am going through Lemon Law on the 2nd one now. Look for my other post.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

This has finally been resolved. The dealer spent four days diagnosing the issue with Audi TAC and determined that the rear motor needed replacement. After that, it was a week of waiting for parts to arrive from Germany. And then 3 days for motor replacement and test drives. Total time spent at the dealership was slightly over two weeks.

The cause of the motor failure is unknown at this point. I was told that the defective motor will be sent back to Germany for forensics.

I've driven about 50 miles on the new motor and it seems fine so far. On the one hand, I'm glad this happened under warranty. But on the other hand, a motor failure shouldn't happen at 5 weeks/2,100 miles. At any rate, glad to be done with it and out of the loaner Q5.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MN-EV
This has finally been resolved. The dealer spent four days diagnosing the issue with Audi TAC and determined that the rear motor needed replacement. After that, it was a week of waiting for parts to arrive from Germany. And then 3 days for motor replacement and test drives. Total time spent at the dealership was slightly over two weeks.

The cause of the motor failure is unknown at this point. I was told that the defective motor will be sent back to Germany for forensics.

I've driven about 50 miles on the new motor and it seems fine so far. On the one hand, I'm glad this happened under warranty. But on the other hand, a motor failure shouldn't happen at 5 weeks/2,100 miles. At any rate, glad to be done with it and out of the loaner Q5.
did this happened again ? This is happening for my car, but he is one month over warranty 🤬
Old 11-22-2021, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 704 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Zezh
did this happened again ? This is happening for my car, but he is one month over warranty 🤬
You have an out of warranty etron? Anyway, take it back. If it is the motor they will be falling over themselves to fix it...eventually. You are going to need to get ready for a fight and might need to elevate this to Audi USA. But if you have a '19 etron, it will be covered. Are you sure that it is out of warranty?
Old 11-22-2021, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
You have an out of warranty etron? Anyway, take it back. If it is the motor they will be falling over themselves to fix it...eventually. You are going to need to get ready for a fight and might need to elevate this to Audi USA. But if you have a '19 etron, it will be covered. Are you sure that it is out of warranty?
yes I bought him in august this year but he came to iceland from usa in june 2019(i think). So they say i am out of warranty
Old 11-22-2021, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Aghhhh...So this is a NA Audi that has been exported to an Audi Europe region...

You are going to need to start a letter writing campaign. There are a few members of this forum, myself included, who will be following your saga.

Anyway, it is still covered by Audi USA warranty if it is a '19. Are we talking Etron 55? I don't think that there are any 55's in the US out of warranty yet (years, there may be plenty that are over 50K miles). Even the buy backs as still covered completely. But the Iceland part is going to make this interesting.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Aghhhh...So this is a NA Audi that has been exported to an Audi Europe region...

You are going to need to start a letter writing campaign. There are a few members of this forum, myself included, who will be following your saga.

Anyway, it is still covered by Audi USA warranty if it is a '19. Are we talking Etron 55? I don't think that there are any 55's in the US out of warranty yet (years, there may be plenty that are over 50K miles). Even the buy backs as still covered completely. But the Iceland part is going to make this interesting.
yes it is Etron 55, i think i dont have the knowledge to go to writing campaign against them. I think the icelandic part its not going to help me. I dont even know where to send it 🥴
Old 11-23-2021, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Zezh
yes it is Etron 55, i think i dont have the knowledge to go to writing campaign against them. I think the icelandic part its not going to help me. I dont even know where to send it 🥴
Look, there are other guys on this forum who are better versed at corresponding with Audi than I am. However, if your US etron is below 4 years and 50K miles, it is still covered by warranty...in the US. However, you are in Europe. Audi Europe will not want to touch it, under warranty at first.

I would first get the car diagnosed in Iceland by your local Audi. If the diagnosis is to replace a motor like the previous poster noted, then you need to engage Audi Europe first, then Audi US and then corporate Audi. At the end of the day, it is the same part that will be replaced, it is a matter of who is going to pay for it. I would guess that corporate Audi will end up deciding how that is going to happen.

You have unwittingly fallen headlong into the argument against exporting vehicles. I think that you will resolve this, but be prepared for it to take a bit of time.

Fingers crossed that the diagnosis proves this discussion moot and your solution is simple.

Quick Reply: Drive System and All-Wheel Drive Malfunction