Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

E-Tron Battery Degradation? 1 month old vehicle!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Tron Battery Degradation? 1 month old vehicle!

Anyone experience a capacity loss on their e-from? My car is literally 6 weeks old. When I first drove off it had a max capacity of 204 miles. I charge to 80% and recharge at 35%. Now when I charge to 80% it has a capacity of 146 miles, or 175 miles max.

what gives? Will my battery have a max of 100 miles in a few months??
Old 06-16-2020, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Range depends on how you are driving, terrain and temp you are driving in, and what accessories you are using. The range will change depending on how these factors affect the displayed range. As others have said, it is more of a guess-o-meter than actual range. I too have the E-tron for about 6 weeks, and getting comfortable with the percentage battery left and how much range I will get based on driving style and terrain. The displayed range is only one of the factors I use, but recognize it depends more on how I recently drove than how I am driving to my next destination. On long distance trips, I am driving steady and in ECO mode and get better than 204 miles on full charge, and when I am in town and drive, lets say more lively, I would get much less range with that style driving if I had to go long distances.

Everything I have read so far indicates it is better to charge more frequently and not to allow large swings in the battery discharge. I do a lot of daily 50% to 60% back to 80% rather than letting it go down to below 40% on a regular basis and do a bigger recharge.

When I charge to 80% nearly daily, I am seeing anything from 140 to 180 for range which would give 175 to 225 miles in range at 100%. It literally changes daily depending on how I drove the day before. I am confident so far that I can do my daily driving no problem at 80% and never get close to range anxiety, and if I need to, can easily make it up to 150 miles one way highway with ECO mode on. Of course, when I do know I am going for a longer distance drive, I charge to 100% the night before.
The following 3 users liked this post by weth:
SaffsDad (04-07-2023), Sourdough Josh (07-06-2021), WetEV (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are only estimates, it caclulates the theoretical range based on your (recent) past driving.
You may notice that when you do a 20 mile trip, it now only goes down by 17 or so.
Check your consumption-stats in the app, if they were higher the last couple days compared to your first weeks, it will show a lower range than usual.

If you now drive it like a granny for a couple days, you may then see a max range of over 204 miles.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the solid info guys, really appreciate the details. It’s my first EV so I was looking at it more like a gas indicator. I checked my usage and I’m averaging 48-55kw. Is that average? So basically reduce speed and electronics use and it should help?
Old 06-16-2020, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by shoooby82
Thanks for all the solid info guys, really appreciate the details. It’s my first EV so I was looking at it more like a gas indicator. I checked my usage and I’m averaging 48-55kw. Is that average? So basically reduce speed and electronics use and it should help?
That seems on the high side for this time of the year. During the winter, I saw numbers like that. But now that it is warmer am usually in the upper 30s. Of course, this highly depends on the environment you are in and how you are driving. If you use the AC a lot, energy use will obviously go up. Last weekend, I was getting 378W/mile. This was mostly highway with temperatures in the upper 60s/low 70s. So pretty ideal conditions.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

that is on the high side of what I see, usually only with spirited, fun driving. I am getting 39 to 44 kw/100 mi usually. Really short trips Of a few miles also will give high usage.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts

Average energy use per mile depends on what group you are averaging. My long term average is 43.5 kWh per 100 mile. I suspect I'm more efficient than average, but not the most efficient.

Reducing speed helps the most, climate control can be noticeable and electronics use is almost a non-factor. If you mean by electronics the displays, sound system, nav, various lights, toys, charging phone/tablet and such what.

I am unaware of any hypermiling guide for the eTron. I'm not even sure if many are interested, it is not a Prius where hypermiling is the only interesting thing to do while driving it. I don't know enough to write a complete one... but could give hints.

Last edited by WetEV; 06-17-2020 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-2020, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WetEV
Average energy use per mile depends on what group you are averaging. My long term average is 43.5 kWh per mile. I suspect I'm more efficient than average, but not the most efficient.

Reducing speed helps the most, climate control can be noticeable and electronics use is almost a non-factor. If you mean by electronics the displays, sound system, nav, various lights, toys, charging phone/tablet and such what.

I am unaware of any hypermiling guide for the eTron. I'm not even sure if many are interested, it is not a Prius where hypermiling is the only interesting thing to do while driving it. I don't know enough to write a complete one... but could give hints.
Well that would give you a total range of about 2 miles. You meant 0.435 KwH per mile, which is also what I'm getting.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by alevek
Well that would give you a total range of about 2 miles. You meant 0.435 KwH per mile, which is also what I'm getting.
That's what I get for posting when very tired. Thanks for the correction!

43.5 kWh per 100 mile as reported by the app.

The following users liked this post:
alevek (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

37.5 kWh / 100 miles according to the app, but I believe the dash show about 39. And itiit coincide withfwith the charge range of 218 miles (109 @ 50% SoC)

Last edited by 2KA6_2.7T; 06-17-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: E-Tron Battery Degradation? 1 month old vehicle!