Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

E-Tron charging problem with Level 2 Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E-Tron charging problem with Level 2 Chargers

Hi....Is anyone having a problem with level 2 charging? I got my 2021 E-Tron at the beginning of March 2021. I've charged with the DC Fast chargers without a problem. When I used any level 2 chargers, it would not charge. I bought it back to the dealer and they have the same problem with their level 2 charger. The symptom is the chargers would go on and off and eventually go to error and stop. My E-Tron have been in the shop for 2 weeks and they can't seem to fix the problem. Do anyone have any insights to this trouble? Thanks!
Old 04-05-2021, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is having issues but it never gets past the initialization phase. Only had the problem with EVgo chargers and they said it was an issue with their chargers.

Last edited by GlryX; 04-05-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've tried different level 2 chargers to make sure it wasn't just one charger. The chargers at the dealership and at the service center was having that problem too.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

When I first got my car I had some charging issues regarding alerts. I believe at least one of the TSBs the dealer referenced in trying to fix that issue listed these initialization errors as well. Have them pull up TSB 2061788/1 and TSB 2062115/2 to see if they might help.

Good luck! That sucks :/
Old 04-05-2021, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

There have been occasional issues with charging in certain regions based on the ahem 'quality' of the local power supply. It might be worth it just to check the local voltage and see if the issue persists in a different region. This would also explain why your DC charge works and both home and dealer are having issues. Low probability but worth a check.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts

Had my '21 for a month now with 2000 miles on the clock. Charge at home with a Chargepoint Flex Home charger with no problems. Have not tried the Audi Supplied Charger yet. Today plugged into a private label L2 charger and all was well for about 15 minutes then an error light lit on the charger and on the dash of the etron was a malfunction error message and charging stopped. Restarted on the second L2 charger with no issues but did not stay very long.
Do not have any issues with various fast chargers.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the tips!!
Unfortunately, I can't reach the service dept. Brooklyn Audi have the worst service dept!!
Old 04-05-2021, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bill33525
Had my '21 for a month now with 2000 miles on the clock. Charge at home with a Chargepoint Flex Home charger with no problems. Have not tried the Audi Supplied Charger yet. Today plugged into a private label L2 charger and all was well for about 15 minutes then an error light lit on the charger and on the dash of the etron was a malfunction error message and charging stopped. Restarted on the second L2 charger with no issues but did not stay very long.
Do not have any issues with various fast chargers.
I don't have a problem charging with the DC fast chargers, only the level 2 chargers. I've tried a home charger and the Blink chargers and they were all giving me the same trouble. The level 2 charger at the dealership and at the service center experienced the same trouble too.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using a ChargePoint Home Flex on a 50A connection with no issues. Relatively new as just installed in January this year.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdbuddy
Hi....Is anyone having a problem with level 2 charging? I got my 2021 E-Tron at the beginning of March 2021. I've charged with the DC Fast chargers without a problem. When I used any level 2 chargers, it would not charge. I bought it back to the dealer and they have the same problem with their level 2 charger. The symptom is the chargers would go on and off and eventually go to error and stop. My E-Tron have been in the shop for 2 weeks and they can't seem to fix the problem. Do anyone have any insights to this trouble? Thanks!
I’m using the ChargePoint Flex and have experienced a similar situation. Let me explain: I have three chargers two are Tesla which are daisy chained for a total combined draw of 60 amps while the ChargePoint is on a 40amp breaker. When normal the Tesla draws 48amp continues and the etron 32amps both cars are happy. When the etron acts up I will notice the ChargePoint which start to make a “clicking”(electronic relay) sound as it try’s to negotiate a connection with the etron. While doing this I think the fluctuation in the lines cause the Tesla to start to do the same and at the end both cars will give an error message. Prior to the addition of the etron I never got a charging error with the Tesla whether I used the Tesla Wall Unit or the Outdoor ChargePoint unit. Furthermore, the etron has caused the ChargePoint to start the relay clicking while the Tesla was not connected to its power source. Finally one last thing, if I use an adapter on the Tesla wall unit to charge the etron to date I have not experienced any errors.

Quick Reply: E-Tron charging problem with Level 2 Chargers