Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

e-Tron home charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-Tron home charger

I have only had my e Tron for a few days and am anxious to get my home charger up and running. My electrician installed it today. It connects and starts charging and then seems to cycle on and off. The dealer says this is not normal and now wants to check the car but I have had it charge successfully at several stations in the last week. I'm sure it must be something with the install but my electrician isn't sure either. The dealer wants to look at the car. Any thoughts?

Old 01-23-2020, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rachel Pothast
I have only had my e Tron for a few days and am anxious to get my home charger up and running. My electrician installed it today. It connects and starts charging and then seems to cycle on and off. The dealer says this is not normal and now wants to check the car but I have had it charge successfully at several stations in the last week. I'm sure it must be something with the install but my electrician isn't sure either. The dealer wants to look at the car. Any thoughts?
Do you know the details of what the electrician installed?
Old 01-23-2020, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

There was discussion in other threads that the charger does not work well with three phase installations where you only would get 208V instead of 240V. Supposedly, there is an updated software for the charger that the dealer could apply if that is the case. So having the dealer check things out may get this fixed. On the other hand, checking the outlet and what the electrician did might help solve this as well.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It looks like I may have solved the problem but I still have a question. My electrician installed a 240V outlet with 40 Amps. He checked it before he left. Before I even tried charging it at home I was messing with the charger settings in MMI. I wanted to set the max charge to 80%. It also looked like I could set a timer to have it charge in the middle of the night. When I went back in there I had turned it on and once I fixed that it charged fine. So, now I'm curious how the timers work. It seems like it doesn't make sense if it wasn't charging because it was supposed to be charging in the middle of the night that it would cycle on and off. Basically connecting, trying to charge and then stopping because it's going to starter later. Does anyone have an insight into this setting? I would like to be able to use it.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

It looks like I may have solved the problem but I still have a question. My electrician installed a 240V outlet with 40 Amps. He checked it before he left. Before I even tried charging it at home I was messing with the charger settings in MMI. I wanted to set the max charge to 80%. It also looked like I could set a timer to have it charge in the middle of the night. When I went back in there I had turned it on and once I fixed that it charged fine. So, now I'm curious how the timers work. It seems like it doesn't make sense if it wasn't charging because it was supposed to be charging in the middle of the night that it would cycle on and off. Basically connecting, trying to charge and then stopping because it's going to starter later. Does anyone have an insight into this setting? I would like to be able to use it.
Call your electric company and see if they have reduced rates at night. Not all of them do. Where I am located (Dominion Power - Virginia) they do not unless I switch to a complex plan that will result in a much higher rate in summer - day rates when I have the air conditioning on in the house. If you don't get reduced rates at night, there is no benefit to setting the timers. I would suggest you turn them off for a couple of weeks until you get used to the charge sequence, don't try to do too much at one time since its all new to you.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ah thank you! Great suggestion. Yes.....I'm guilty of trying to do too much! I will definitely confirm with my electric company.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I've noticed the same behavior. If I plug in without using a timer, it starts charging immediately and continues to charge, until the charging target has been reached. But if I set a timer, let's say to reach the charging target by 8am, and then plug in the night before, it keeps cycling off and on multiple times throughout the night. Each time it cycles on, it charges for a while, then stops for a while, then starts up again, until it has reached the charging target right before the timer setting.

Last edited by MileHigh e-tron; 01-24-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That does make sense because I have reduced rates for my electricity after 9pm so I set my timer to start at 9:15pm. When I plug it in before 9pm it seems like it is going to start up but then it shuts off until 9:15pm when it starts up. So if you plug in before your timer start time it would go through the process of looking like it was going to start up and then turn off. Every time you unplug it and plug it back in it is going to go through this routine. Sounds like normal timer function.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks everyone......I wish the dealer could have told me that! Would have saved a lot of phone calls/hassle!