Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

E-Tron Plug and Charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default E-Tron Plug and Charge

Morning folks! I am curious if anyone knows if they will update the E-Tron to get Plug and Charge? I remember when I first bought it the literature said it would, specifically at EA. I noted that the Porsche is getting it. This would be nice as fiddling with EA app is a pain to me.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-por...125100784.html

Old 08-20-2020, 02:57 AM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

the link didn't work
I'm just shopping here...so just to clarify your question
are you saying that to charge you have to plug in then go to the app to initiate charge EVERY Time?

Is there also a way to initiate charge from the car's infotainment screen?

I kinda assumed there would be a way to set up your default preferences....
such as pull into the garage and plug it in.... then since I have my settings to achieve say for example an 80% charge by 6 AM, then it would just automatically start charging at 2AM or whatever time it needs to finish at 6AM.
or alternatively plug it in and start charging right away to your preset 80% target, if that's your preference for default.
SO you just can't pull into the garage, plug it in, and walk away?

I suppose it makes sense that if you wanted to do a special charge....say to end at 100% because you're going on a road trip, then it would make sense that you'd need to go into the screen or the app to set that.....
Old 08-20-2020, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am referring to Level 3 charging when out and about. When using a Tesla supercharger, all you do is plug in and the car negotiates with the public charger. No payment information is needed. It is all with the car. When doing the same with an E-Tron, to start the level 3 charger, you need to either use an App to say "it's me, and this is my billing information" or use the credit card machine at the pump. The new 2021 Porsche will start having that handshake be done with the car where no app or payment information is needed. Most likely it will be saved in the MMI for use when you connect.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:26 AM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

ahh, I see.
I'd imagine Teslas are in the same situation when they charge at 3rd party chargers...charge point or whatever...
I suppose Audi would have to form some sort of business agreement. Of course only speculation on my part, but my bet is the e-trons don't even have the necessary hardware for such a handshake.
The downside I think to something like Audi is that you get what it is... and they aren't likely to add much in the way of new features like this along the way....advantage Tesla.
What you wrote about Porsche...they are building in a smart feature. If they have the hardware for the handshake, then it seems theoretically possible to expand that in the future with just a software update to other charger networks that aren't in the original agreement plan.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 714 Likes on 519 Posts

Plug and charge was promised and still is promised for the 2019 etron. Unfortunately it requires a software update on Audi's part. As you know, Audi has been deliberately slow at rolling software and has not used OTA for anything beyond map updates.

So the good news is that plug and charge has been tested between Audi and EA and it works. The better news is that it actually works better than negotiating an individual transaction with the charger or even using the EA app which is currently the smoothest way to use EA. Audi's plug and charge solution has been tested and approved by EA. That is where the good news ends. Because now it is in Audi's hands and they simply have proven unwilling to update software. (The hardware is already in the car and it is compliant with the plug and charge protocol.)

By Audi's original plan, plug and charge was supposed to be OTA downloadable and then function through the subscription services window/tab. You know how far that has progressed and how many 'pay' services are offered today.

My fear, and now this is conjecture, is that plug and charge has been cooked into the sportsback and will also come in the '21 SUV and sportsback in the US. Meanwhile, us '19 drivers, will continue to wait for Audi software to complete and distribute a comprehensive software upgrade.
The following 2 users liked this post by A4 Phil:
jaxjeebers (08-20-2020), SaffsDad (12-24-2021)
Old 08-20-2020, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Plug and charge was promised and still is promised for the 2019 etron. Unfortunately it requires a software update on Audi's part. As you know, Audi has been deliberately slow at rolling software and has not used OTA for anything beyond map updates.

So the good news is that plug and charge has been tested between Audi and EA and it works. The better news is that it actually works better than negotiating an individual transaction with the charger or even using the EA app which is currently the smoothest way to use EA. Audi's plug and charge solution has been tested and approved by EA. That is where the good news ends. Because now it is in Audi's hands and they simply have proven unwilling to update software. (The hardware is already in the car and it is compliant with the plug and charge protocol.)

By Audi's original plan, plug and charge was supposed to be OTA downloadable and then function through the subscription services window/tab. You know how far that has progressed and how many 'pay' services are offered today.

My fear, and now this is conjecture, is that plug and charge has been cooked into the sportsback and will also come in the '21 SUV and sportsback in the US. Meanwhile, us '19 drivers, will continue to wait for Audi software to complete and distribute a comprehensive software upgrade.
I agree completely. My MMI currently has a spot where you can put your account info in, but it is gray and has been like that since when I got my car. I would be excited when they turn it on but I also think that might not ever come as it would have to house "two" accounts. One for the free 1000kW and one for normal purchases. And from experience, I know those two are different as I have had to pay for charging when I couldn't get the free credits to load at EA.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxjeebers
I agree completely. My MMI currently has a spot where you can put your account info in, but it is gray and has been like that since when I got my car. I would be excited when they turn it on but I also think that might not ever come as it would have to house "two" accounts. One for the free 1000kW and one for normal purchases. And from experience, I know those two are different as I have had to pay for charging when I couldn't get the free credits to load at EA.
Where in the MMI do you see that? I've never come across it. Might also need to state the MMI software version you are running.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Any update on Plug & Charge? It looks like it was initially promised for 2019... https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...chnology-11094
Old 03-23-2021, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Multiphonic
Any update on Plug & Charge? It looks like it was initially promised for 2019... https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...chnology-11094
I think still no go. I have used EA a number of times and you still have to use the Audi app for the free kw or the app they have to charge normally.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think the dream is dead.... Per the sister vehicle - it requires a hardware swap.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...EEA104F8E02384

Quick Reply: E-Tron Plug and Charge