Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Electrify America Problem Connecting to Q8 E-tron

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
I have had dispneser plugs not click-in on my Q8 causing a failure to connect to the car. Make sure you hear a solid "CLICK" when you plug into the car. On my recent road trip ran into several new grey plugs that did not clck-in. Was able to connect to the alternate plug, fortunately. Finally, there are some dispensers that will not PnC. In this case open the Audi app and use "start charger" enter the charger ID in the app. No charge will result starting a session in the app. The screen on the dispenser will ask you to plug in the car. Hope this helps.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-16-2024, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
I have had dispenser plugs not click-in on my Q8 causing a failure to connect to the car. Make sure you hear a solid "CLICK" when you plug into the car. On my recent road trip ran into several new grey plugs that did not clck-in. Was able to connect to the alternate plug, fortunately. Finally, there are some dispensers that will not PnC. In this case open the Audi app and use "start charger" enter the charger ID in the app. No charge will result starting a session in the app. The screen on the dispenser will ask you to plug in the car. Hope this helps.

I have a 2024 SQ8 Etron. I usually charge at home with no issues. Had to find a quick charger today to get home. There was another Q8 plugged into an electrify America charger. I waited and plugged into the same one after he left. Plug and charge shows active. Charger kept saying “connecting to vehicle” then would say “error connecting (or communicating?) to vehicle. Tried to just manually pay for the charge through EA app and same error.

Any known issues with EA chargers just not able to communicate with the SQ8E? I did hear the click, I know the charger just worked on the Q8E before me, and ensured the cord was not twisted and had no tension..?
Old 03-16-2024, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It happened to me and I just called EA and they helped getting connected. I haven't had any issues connecting at EA stations further.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Erock277
I have a 2024 SQ8 Etron. I usually charge at home with no issues. Had to find a quick charger today to get home. There was another Q8 plugged into an electrify America charger. I waited and plugged into the same one after he left. Plug and charge shows active. Charger kept saying “connecting to vehicle” then would say “error connecting (or communicating?) to vehicle. Tried to just manually pay for the charge through EA app and same error.
Any known issues with EA chargers just not able to communicate with the SQ8E? I did hear the click, I know the charger just worked on the Q8E before me, and ensured the cord was not twisted and had no tension..?
When I first got my Q8E last May I had some issues with chargers connecting to my car. Happened on EA & EVgo chargers. By the time I had used DCFC a few times the problem went away. Perhaps there was some debris in the charging port socket? At one EVgo dispenser had to unplug & plug back in several time to fnally connect. If you continue to have similar issue, a visit to your dealer may be in order.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Neither 2019 Teton nor my new Q8 etron have ever charged with plug and in play despite the set up being done correctly and verified by Audi, I always have to start the charger through my Audi app. Even then it usually takes two or three unplugg and re plug-ins before the initiating charging starts. otherwise it will sit on initializing until it times out every single time, beyond frustrating, terrible experience.​​​​​​

Originally Posted by JIMNOYD
Had to go thru EA customer service to connect and charge 2024 Q8 E-tron Sportback. EA said the issue is know to Audi.

Anyone else having similar issue using Audi App and EA?
Old 06-18-2024, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by dism0rph
Neither 2019 Teton nor my new Q8 etron have ever charged with plug and in play despite the set up being done correctly and verified by Audi, I always have to start the charger through my Audi app. Even then it usually takes two or three unplugg and re plug-ins before the initiating charging starts. otherwise it will sit on initializing until it times out every single time, beyond frustrating, terrible experience.​​​​​​
I have not had nearly the level of problems you describe with either my old 2019 etron, nor my current Q8 etron. The 2019 MY does not have P&C, but generally entering the station ID into the app worked OK--I'd sometime have to deal with the process "timing out", so I would have to do it all again. P&C works pretty smoothly with my Q8 etron. For the Q8, when you open the EA portion of the app, do you get a notification appearing that says "Plug and Charge Active"?
Old 06-24-2024, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

yes, plug-in charge is active, but has never once worked, I call Electrify America and they always tell me the issue is because of poor cell signal at the charger, however, every other person with every other brand of cars having no problems charging, and this has happened at many chargers all over California

Originally Posted by JNealCox
I have not had nearly the level of problems you describe with either my old 2019 etron, nor my current Q8 etron. The 2019 MY does not have P&C, but generally entering the station ID into the app worked OK--I'd sometime have to deal with the process "timing out", so I would have to do it all again. P&C works pretty smoothly with my Q8 etron. For the Q8, when you open the EA portion of the app, do you get a notification appearing that says "Plug and Charge Active"?
Old 06-24-2024, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

yes, plug-in charge is active, but has never once worked, I call Electrify America and they always tell me the issue is because of poor cell signal at the charger, however, every other person with every other brand of cars having no problems charging, and this has happened at many chargers all over California
What happens when you plug in the car?
Old 07-01-2024, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JNealCox
What happens when you plug in the car?
It sits on ititiating for a long time, then 50% of the time the charger screen will say welcome and waiting for payment. I then use the start charger feature in the MyAudi app to initiate the charge, but that works less than 50% of the time as well. Audi Dealer says nothing wrong w/ car, and EA says audis have problems, so i'm very confused at this point after driving an E-tron and Q-8 Etron for 5 years with no improvement. Not even sure where to go with my issue at this point!
Old 07-01-2024, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts

It sits on ititiating for a long time, then 50% of the time the charger screen will say welcome and waiting for payment. I then use the start charger feature in the MyAudi app to initiate the charge, but that works less than 50% of the time as well. Audi Dealer says nothing wrong w/ car, and EA says audis have problems, so i'm very confused at this point after driving an E-tron and Q-8 Etron for 5 years with no improvement. Not even sure where to go with my issue at this point!
Make a call to Audi support, and be prepared to fiddle around with them for weeks troubleshooting. To start they will want phone screenshots of the EA screens in the MyAudi app, and a photo of the Plug-n-charge setting screen in the MMI menus.
When you open either of the EA screens in the MyAudi app you should eventually see a blue box indicating the status of Plug-n-charge. That's what they will want to see.
The following users liked this post:
dism0rph (07-02-2024)