Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Error message: "Remote key - replace battery in remote"

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Error message: "Remote key - replace battery in remote"

An error message about the fob battery popped up on the driver info screen. I have a 2019 so I figure 2 years usage wasn't too bad. I replaced the battery with a brand new #2032 battery and tested the fob - yep, got the blinking light just like the manual says. The next four times I started the car, the error warning was still there. Waited an hour, started the car - no change. How special! Tried the second fob - no error message.
So how do you get rid of a false error message on the info screen?
Old 07-14-2021, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Have you tried locking and unlocking the car with the fob? If that doesn't work, letting the car fully shut down might help. My dealer said for the car to shutdown fully, not only does the car need to be turned off, but also all windows up and the doors locked. It takes at least 30min for a full shut down.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Also maybe swap the two fob batteries over to test - I had a bad batch of batteries not too long ago and despite changing it 3 times, all 3 were bad out of a strip of 10 batteries
Old 07-15-2021, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by suttoni
An error message about the fob battery popped up on the driver info screen. I have a 2019 so I figure 2 years usage wasn't too bad. I replaced the battery with a brand new #2032 battery and tested the fob - yep, got the blinking light just like the manual says. The next four times I started the car, the error warning was still there. Waited an hour, started the car - no change. How special! Tried the second fob - no error message.
The battery was probably sitting on the shelf for so long that it was dead when you purchased it

I replaced mine a few weeks back and was just a simple swap and the message was gone. I'd grab another battery and see if that's the issue.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:09 PM
AudiAudiBangBang

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the key battery. It's a CR2032 which, if you're in the USA, is on sale at Costco for $5.99 for a pack of 8.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mceatalot
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the key battery. It's a CR2032 which, if you're in the USA, is on sale at Costco for $5.99 for a pack of 8.
As I noted in the post I did use a brand new #2032 battery. But good news....the car has been shut down for 24 hours and I just started it up and the dead battery message is GONE!
There's only one small problem.... now there's a new message that says "License plate light faulty". WTH???
Old 07-15-2021, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

As I noted in the post I did use a brand new #2032 battery. But good news....the car has been shut down for 24 hours and I just started it up and the dead battery message is GONE!
There's only one small problem.... now there's a new message that says "License plate light faulty". WTH???
Uh-oh. Did you have the Tail Light Assembly replaced soon after you got your car? I got my 2019MY in Dec 2019 and the first major work done on it was the tail light assembly. The first symptom I noticed was the "faulty license plate light". Go out and look at the car from the rear. Use the Key fob to lock/unlock/etc the car and observe whether the tail light strip does any funky things. Audi had to replace the entire assembly on my car....a very common problem on the 2019MY.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:25 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Uh-oh. Did you have the Tail Light Assembly replaced soon after you got your car? I got my 2019MY in Dec 2019 and the first major work done on it was the tail light assembly. The first symptom I noticed was the "faulty license plate light". Go out and look at the car from the rear. Use the Key fob to lock/unlock/etc the car and observe whether the tail light strip does any funky things. Audi had to replace the entire assembly on my car....a very common problem on the 2019MY.
This is the likely issue when you have that error message. There are a slew of 2019's with defective right rear light bar assemblies. If you haven't had this replaced yet, it's probably time to do so.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by e-tronDriver
This is the likely issue when you have that error message. There are a slew of 2019's with defective right rear light bar assemblies. If you haven't had this replaced yet, it's probably time to do so.
I did get the recall notice but my taillight bar works fine... I'm due for the annual servicing shortly so the dealer can fix this problem then and save me a trip. Thanks..
Old 07-16-2021, 01:46 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I did get the recall notice but my taillight bar works fine... I'm due for the annual servicing shortly so the dealer can fix this problem then and save me a trip. Thanks..
You may want to give them a heads-up before you arrive so they can make sure they have the part in stock. I had to wait a week for it.

Quick Reply: Error message: "Remote key - replace battery in remote"