Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

eTron Obsolete In X Number of Years

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got a new etron in December as well. For me it was at least partially a political statement, supporting the EV industry, so I was willing to accept that there would be some inconveniences. Not big ones, though, since we're a two-car family. Long trips will use the CRV. I did a lot of research before making my choice, and yes, there are cars with better ranges, but the only brand with a significant advantage are Teslas. And Tesla also has the charging network, which is a huge consideration. But Teslas are IMO ugly and not comfortable, and there are just way the hell too many of them. The etron looks and feels like a luxury car.

So will it be obsolescent in 3 years? Probably. 200 mi (320 km) is not impressive. There is the possibility that Audi or some aftermarket company will offer a battery replacement for those who want to go that way. Or I'll just bite the bullet and accept a massive depreciation on my trade-in. But let's face it--as Agile points out, rapidly advancing technology is going to affect all EVs. It's like buying a PC--no matter what brand or model you buy, it's going to be obsolete within a month, but at some point you have to commit.
The following 3 users liked this post by DennisE:
MauriceMonroe (01-15-2021), ted99 (01-03-2021), thebishman (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Agile2.0
As a new e-Tron owner – just picked up in December – I have been very pleased with the vehicle. Like you I struggled with both the EV and then the vehicle choice. I started my research in August and made a decision in December. I agree with you that there is a high chance of obsolesce risk with the rapidly moving EV technology. This is even higher for a new vehicle like the e-Tron. I decided to lease for 3 years and have accepted the added expense as an “insurance premium” on the vehicle. Something I am paying to have the flexibility to change my mind in 3 years. My impressing is it is a very “balanced” vehicle with the significant shortcoming being the 200-mile range. I am biased as a long time Audi owner and think they are good at building vehicles though still learning about EV’s.
Congratulations on your new car! Is it a 2021 Quattro 55 SUV? I have always been impressed with how well thought out Audi vehicles are in general, and my experience with the E Tron continues to bear it out. Compared with other EV's in the market, Audi seems to have taken a definite stance on two aspects of EV's: 1) a rejection of "single peddle" driving in favor of "coast and regen" driving; 2) aggressive thermal management of the battery to insure fast charging and predictable mileage. I, myself, am a big fan of the first stance, and it is the feature that is most mature. The strategy for the battery is more of a work in progress, but I think it will see significant improvements as future Audi EV's move to the new EV vehicle platforms. In the meantime, just sit in the cabin and enjoy!
Old 01-02-2021, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
This article explains some of the issues: https://www.quattrodaily.com/audi-e-...-pickup-truck/ Most notable are the need to reinforce the "classic" MLB platform it is built on to accommodate the heavy battery, which is made heavier by it's extensive thermal management system.

This article to some extent explains how Audi plans to deal with it in the future: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...pe-meb-mlbevo/
Yes, the PPE (Premium Platform Electic) will really revolutionize Audi electric vehicle platforms.

If you can just cut the weight through not having to reinforce a conventional body that would be a win and with PPE purpose built design efficiencies, the platforms will really blossom. I think that our etron's will serve us nicely though until a dual motor PPE is released (I have no idea why the PPE evolution has the first year with all single motor variants.) I just don't miss my ICE cars as much as I thought I would.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 300 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Yes, the PPE (Premium Platform Electic) will really revolutionize Audi electric vehicle platforms.

If you can just cut the weight through not having to reinforce a conventional body that would be a win and with PPE purpose built design efficiencies, the platforms will really blossom. I think that our etron's will serve us nicely though until a dual motor PPE is released (I have no idea why the PPE evolution has the first year with all single motor variants.) I just don't miss my ICE cars as much as I thought I would.
Seems like the PPE platform will replace the MLB Evo platform currently in use across the Audi / VW / Porsche longitudinal engine cars.

Perhaps some weight savings (+/- 100kg?) and possibly a more optimized layout for a larger battery capaciteis could make an improvement in range of 10% - 20% just from platform switch alone. I guess we'll see in the not too distant future!
Old 01-04-2021, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Hmm! This is puzzling, the Audi Etron is still in a class by itself. That's why I bought it. Premium SUV with zero compromises and the biggest battery the engineers were comfortable cramming in there.

As the perils of Penelope saga of the EQC continues (could it get cancelled before it even gets to USA), really the only competition, its clear this is really the only choice for folks here.

I test drove the Model -Y and found it a tin can compared to the Etron. Maybe a upgrade for some but the Model-Y would be a serious downgrade for me. Not in same class at all.

Maybe once the iX or the ID4(Meh!) gets here there maybe some competition till then the Etron is the the best VFM there is out there. Its incredible what folks get for the money and it is quite well discounted now as well!
The following 3 users liked this post by theo1000:
DennisE (01-04-2021), e-tronDriver (01-04-2021), MauriceMonroe (01-15-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
Hmm! This is puzzling, the Audi Etron is still in a class by itself. That's why I bought it. Premium SUV with zero compromises and the biggest battery the engineers were comfortable cramming in there.

As the perils of Penelope saga of the EQC continues (could it get cancelled before it even gets to USA), really the only competition, its clear this is really the only choice for folks here.

I test drove the Model -Y and found it a tin can compared to the Etron. Maybe a upgrade for some but the Model-Y would be a serious downgrade for me. Not in same class at all.

Maybe once the iX or the ID4(Meh!) gets here there maybe some competition till then the Etron is the the best VFM there is out there. Its incredible what folks get for the money and it is quite well discounted now as well!
I'd say that your comments pretty much reflected my thinking. Maybe something will come along from some of the startup EV companies, but for now it's pretty much the E Tron or the Model $.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

In general I'm very pleased with my prestige etron which I've had since the end of April 19. A little more range would be nice I have a once a week drive of 160 miles round-trip which is becoming a little bit stressful now that the temperatures have dropped.This week however I'm going to drive the mach E mustang four-wheel-drive extended range. I don't expect it to be nearly as luxurious as the E Tron but I'm just curious to see what it's all about. I'll give all of you my impressions.
The following 2 users liked this post by macwm:
e-tronDriver (01-04-2021), Multiphonic (01-05-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The eTron is an adaptation of the Audi ICE platforms, not a dedicated EV-only platform like the eTron GT, Q4 eTron, Porsche Macan EV and VW ID.4. Therefore, there are some compromises. It is a transition vehicle on which Audi went to school.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I have to agree with ted99.

The E-tron is a very compromised vehicle. It is adapted from VW groups MEB conventional ICE platform which makes packaging and weight suboptimal. It is too heavy. It is rather inefficient compared to other BEVs. Its battery is overly conservative to preserve battery life and the battery management system is over engineered.

Still, I really like my Etron sportback. Super comfortable, quiet and great vehicle.
Imagine what Audi actually could accomplish once they use their dedicated BEV platform, shave weight, improve packaging, increase efficiency in its power electronics, simplify components. etc. Next gen of Audi BEVs will be interesting.

Edit: MEB is the BEV platform. Etron uses an older platform, the MLB-Evo

Last edited by BimmerCaddyAudi; 01-11-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts

Does anybody know which of the bespoke VW BEV platforms the next-gen e-tron will be based on? I can't imagine they'd stick with the current MEB platform for more than a handful of model years.

Quick Reply: eTron Obsolete In X Number of Years