Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

First road trip in the e-Tron

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
Interesting, what information do you have that you should “easy” in the battery? And why it would only be applied to Audi EV and not new Tesla , Toyota, or other brand?

i think we sometimes think we know more then the product developers.

If Audi don’t specifically tell you to do something why mess with it? It was designed for fast charging and it has temperature controls on both ends the car and the charger no harm can be done as it would lower amps or discontinue charging.
Yah! I too have heard brave talk from engineers before encountering the west Texas heat. Not to be trifled with. Some caution is warranted. I put it to you the technology is not mature enough for engineers to know what West Texas heat+DC fast charge+highway driving does to a battery. Esp. a new car like the Etron.

I have driven my EV's for about 10 years now and have always babied them early on. Zero degradation. Just today I drove my 10 year old 33 mile EPA EV for 42 miles. I have a lot of respect for just how hot it can get out here.

Before you get caught up with TSLA as some great unblinking god note the software update degradation they just applied to their P85 battery. No TSLA does not know either.

Last edited by theo1000; 06-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bruinmac (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by theo1000
Yah! I too have heard brave talk from engineers before encountering the west Texas heat. Not to be trifled with. Some caution is warranted. I put it to you the technology is not mature enough for engineers to know what West Texas heat+DC fast charge+highway driving does to a battery. Esp. a new car like the Etron.

I have driven my EV's for about 10 years now and have always babied them early on. Zero degradation. Just today I drove my 10 year old 33 mile EPA EV for 42 miles. I have a lot of respect for just how hot it can get out here.

Before you get caught up with TSLA as some great unblinking god note the software update degradation they just applied to their P85 battery. No TSLA does not know either.
I understand your opinion.

For or me there is enough safety build it when using and charging on both sides of the system to insure no over temp.

I would be more cautious of heavy discharge vs charge as the control on circuit and controller is much relevant that charging. Towing up a continues hill.

Again if the charger and or car sees high temps it will start cutting down amperage and then fully stopping the charge. You’re also forgetting that a lot of testing was done in Africa and Middle East at temperatures and condition much worse then what you experience down by you