Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Fried Charger Cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
What year car?
Old 12-19-2022, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I don’t believe the issue is with the EVSE, it’s more about the lack of technical information available to share with an electrician. In my instance, I had to have the circuit installed in advance of having the car in hand. The dealership provided us with the same information shared elsewhere in this post. So, my issue is with precisely this, the lack of info. It is a 40A circuit and yes, there is a sticker that says max draw 32A but I’m not an electrician, I’m simply a keen adopter of the technology and I’m quite certain I’m not alone. In fact, I shared my experience with another dad at my kid’s school this afternoon, he recently brought home a Q4 E-Tron and said that he had exactly the same issue last month with an outlet. The take away here, as I read it is that this must be a 50A circuit if anyone has any intention of charging at 100% using the Audi provided EVSE. And as far as I’m aware, that is not stated in any of their literature and was certainly not shared with me at the time of purchase.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbates76
Thanks for the responses. I don’t believe the issue is with the EVSE, it’s more about the lack of technical information available to share with an electrician. In my instance, I had to have the circuit installed in advance of having the car in hand. The dealership provided us with the same information shared elsewhere in this post. So, my issue is with precisely this, the lack of info. It is a 40A circuit and yes, there is a sticker that says max draw 32A but I’m not an electrician, I’m simply a keen adopter of the technology and I’m quite certain I’m not alone. In fact, I shared my experience with another dad at my kid’s school this afternoon, he recently brought home a Q4 E-Tron and said that he had exactly the same issue last month with an outlet. The take away here, as I read it is that this must be a 50A circuit if anyone has any intention of charging at 100% using the Audi provided EVSE. And as far as I’m aware, that is not stated in any of their literature and was certainly not shared with me at the time of purchase.
Audi does specify, though, that the charger is 40A. An electrician should know that this requires a 50A circuit for a continuous load as that is specified in the NEC. I installed my outlet before taking possession of the car and I installed a 50A circuit with a GFCI breaker because of that.
The following users liked this post:
B.O.W. (12-20-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbates76
The thing is that any competent electrician knows what questions to ask, what to install and how. It makes no difference what the customer states or asks for, an electrician is supposed to know what he/she is doing.
B.O.W. (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 271 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgrimes
The thing is that any competent electrician knows what questions to ask, what to install and how. It makes no difference what the customer states or asks for, an electrician is supposed to know what he/she is doing.
This is so true. Furthermore, no electrician should be installing some crappy constructor grade NEMA 14-50 outlet for an EV, it’s a recipe for disaster.

OP: get a new electrician to check what gauge wire was used from your breaker box to the outlet; get yourself a Hubbell high quality outlet, and install a fire/smoke alarm in the garage, which frankly should be there anyway since an ICE vehicle can catch fire, and does so more often than a BEV.
B.O.W. (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 10:24 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
This is so true. Furthermore, no electrician should be installing some crappy constructor grade NEMA 14-50 outlet for an EV, it’s a recipe for disaster.

OP: get a new electrician to check what gauge wire was used from your breaker box to the outlet; get yourself a Hubbell high quality outlet, and install a fire/smoke alarm in the garage, which frankly should be there anyway since an ICE vehicle can catch fire, and does so more often than a BEV.
+100 The electrician must know what equipment can handle continuous, high loads for hours without unduly heating up. The connections inside must be properly made and double checked, as ANY imprecision at all isn’t acceptable or safe..

The outlet shown in the photos is like the others pictured in this thread that failed. It bears little resemblance to what my electrician installed specifically for charging our EVs. For that, you need a heavy duty spec outlet that is surface mounted in an insulated metal box. That is a household grade outlet.

Mine was done by a company that my utility provider certified for EV installations. It initially ticked me off that it cost about 30% more than other quotes I got but 3+ years later it works great and it was worth every penny.
thebishman (12-20-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Thread!
Glad I found out before installing that Crappy $10 option. Hubbell on the way...
Old 09-10-2023, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like I have joined the club after 9months of charging. Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the plug, seems like the rest of the EVSE is in working condition still. My electrician installed his own outlet instead of the one I provided, but he is saying this is the first time he has ever seen it happen.

fried
Old 09-11-2023, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 271 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by geeplus
Looks like I have joined the club after 9months of charging. Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the plug, seems like the rest of the EVSE is in working condition still. My electrician installed his own outlet instead of the one I provided, but he is saying this is the first time he has ever seen it happen.

fried
This is a result of the poor quality outlet installed I’m afraid. You simply have to install a high quality outlet such as the one by Hubbell.

Old 09-11-2023, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
This is a result of the poor quality outlet installed I’m afraid. You simply have to install a high quality outlet such as the one by Hubbell.
This could also be an installation issue where the screw for the wire connection was not tightened enough. Once the electrician opens up the outlet, they will know.

I use a IR thermometer to measure the temperature at the outlet an plug every once in a while to see if things warm up more than they used to in hopes to catch something like this early on. So far, I have not noticed any issue after the outlet was installed almost four years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasW:
Bill33525 (09-11-2023), WetEV (09-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Fried Charger Cable