Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

How to clear "Inspection Due" notification at ~30k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts
Default How to clear "Inspection Due" notification at ~30k miles?

Once I got close to 30k miles (and ever since), every time I power up and power down my e-tron it gives me this annoying "Inspection Due" notification.

I could take it into the dealership but that is a huge PITA for what I expect is them just doing a multi-point inspection and sending me on my way.

Is there something critical that Audi needs to do at 30k miles? If not, is there a way to clear the notification without an OBD-II tool?
Old 08-12-2023, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Need a scan tool. No other way - the "easy days" are over. The 30K maintenance is a bunch of fluff - pure profit for the dealer.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Skipping the recommended maintenance will give most certainly them grounds to either deny or give you a lot of grief when it comes time to deal with warranty issues (and a good example would be the infamous catch can overflow and subsequent motor failure).
I don't know that there is any mainstream third-party service option for these cars yet, so we're stuck with the dealership network and all the fleecing that comes with it. I think that, for now, the best way to (partially) mitigate this is to get these still-quite-expensive maintenance and warranty contracts.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

or to check and drain rear motor coolant catch cartridge and front motor coolant catch cavity regularly :-)
Old 08-13-2023, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
Skipping the recommended maintenance will give most certainly them grounds to either deny or give you a lot of grief when it comes time to deal with warranty issues (and a good example would be the infamous catch can overflow and subsequent motor failure).
I don't know that there is any mainstream third-party service option for these cars yet, so we're stuck with the dealership network and all the fleecing that comes with it. I think that, for now, the best way to (partially) mitigate this is to get these still-quite-expensive maintenance and warranty contracts.
That's one perspective - and certainly one that dealerships love. I don't share it - I've done all of my own non-warranty work on all of my vehicles for about 50 years now. I've always had a good mechanical aptitude (Thanks Dad) and enjoy doing the work myself. With YouTube and Google you can learn how to do anything and a few special service tools are still cheaper than the dealership service. I own and maintain vehicles more expensive and complicated than the E-tron. I've NEVER had an issue selling used vehicles including Porsches, Corvettes, boats (MasterCraft, Cobalt, etc) doing my own maintenance - I keep receipts and document maintenance. I understand the rationale of keeping the dealer engaged for that possible catastrophic issue but I guess I've either been lucky or careful in vehicle purchase decisions because I've never experienced anything like that. Dealerships don't always impress either - look at the video that A4 Phil posted of his service "visit" - the guy shows how he checked the brake pad thickness (wheels still mounted, looking through the rim at the pads on the front side of the rotor). That's great - but what about the backside pads? Can't really inspect those with the wheel on. The fronts and backs USUALLY wear about the same but not always. Maybe he pulled the wheels later on - maybe not. Again - to each their own. As Fleetwood Mac said - You can go your own way...........

The following users liked this post:
thebishman (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by mks632
That's one perspective - and certainly one that dealerships love. I don't share it - I've done all of my own non-warranty work on all of my vehicles for about 50 years now.
That is a privilege to be cherished!

The following 2 users liked this post by Tronification:
A4 Phil (08-14-2023), mks632 (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
Buying AudiCare at time of purchase, especially when you use it as a negotiating tool, is a no-brainer.

I’ve spent exactly $0 on maintenance in the 3 1/2 years I’ve owned the car because I made getting AudiCare a part of the deal before I signed the contract.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Buying AudiCare at time of purchase, especially when you use it as a negotiating tool, is a no-brainer.

I’ve spent exactly $0 on maintenance in the 3 1/2 years I’ve owned the car because I made getting AudiCare a part of the deal before I signed the contract.
Yeah I had AudiCare included on my e-tron (they used it as a bargaining chip during negotiations and I took it). So the maintenance is "free", but making the appointment, dropping off the car, getting a ride to work, etc. is just a lot of annoyance for what amounts to a multi-point inspection.

But the notes regarding the coolant cartridges do give me pause -- I'll suck it up and take it in for service.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81
Yeah I had AudiCare included on my e-tron (they used it as a bargaining chip during negotiations and I took it). So the maintenance is "free", but making the appointment, dropping off the car, getting a ride to work, etc. is just a lot of annoyance for what amounts to a multi-point inspection.

But the notes regarding the coolant cartridges do give me pause -- I'll suck it up and take it in for service.
If you’re doing 10,000 miles a year or less, then the annual maintenance is time based and you’ll know exactly when it’s time for ‘Service’. Schedule that 3-4 months in advance and request a loaner. Makes it far more convenient.
Good luck!
Old 08-14-2023, 01:38 PM
DMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My Etron is 4 years old and has 27K miles. I’m planning on skipping the 30 K maintenance and having Audi perform only the “Standard maintenance” at 20K intervals. I use the Carista dongle to reset the maintenance warning at 10K. As for the coolant cartridge, at least for the rear, I used my phone to check it (see attached) Audi only checks it on the 20 K intervals and the minor 10K maintenance has nothing that should void your warrantee if you have one.

Quick Reply: How to clear "Inspection Due" notification at ~30k miles?