Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Key Fob Battery Replaced, Error persists

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Key Fob Battery Replaced, Error persists

Anyone run into this? Got the message:

Replaced the battery (twice) with fresh Energizer CR2032. Cleaned contacts. Message persists. Other key works fine. Any ideas? TIA
Old 12-02-2020, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Does it work if you put the fob down into the phone box? That is where I was told the fob sensor was located. Still, it should work as well as your other fob....could be a faulty fob!!
Old 12-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it, especially if it doesn't work when the key is in the phone box/cupholder area as JNeal suggests.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the input. Both fobs work fine with good range. I tried putting it down in the console, but no help. Was hoping there might be a reset procedure.

The fob I replaced the battery in triggers the message every startup. Old battery was at 2.9V. Replacement 3.26V. Seems like the message is latched. Like I said, seems to work fine.

Update: Used the secondary key for a few days and the low battery fault seems to have cleared on its own. All now well.

Last edited by LavaGrau_A3; 12-08-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: New information
Old 08-14-2021, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

Add this to the list of my errors. Replaced the battery twice now and the error persists.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:45 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

It sounds almost like what Lava is saying.
The fault is triggered and remains even though the battery is replaced and maybe it takes a certain number of "key cycles" before it clears from the screen unless you clear it yourself from VCDS or dealer.
Even Lava's, that eventually cleared, probably still has the fault stored.
Sort of like the SRI once they trigger you can change your own oil, but they don't reset automatically.
Since every time I have had the warning in my other Audis I clear the fault myself I have never reflected over how long it might take to clear on its own after battery replacement.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts

I just had this a few days ago and I replaced the battery in my fob yesterday. Error no longer appears. However, I did find that replacing the battery was non-trivial; the OEM battery was a slightly different size than the replacement (despite both being CR2032's) and so I had to bend one of the tabs in the battery holder a bit to make it have consistent contact. But once I did that, no problems at all.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

The error did go away after about a day. I'm glad I avoided another trip to the dealer.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for the record. Same issue with my 2019. Let’s see if it clears on its own.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 300 Likes on 164 Posts

I find this whole situation ridiculous.

The car is a giant battery, yet can become unusable due to the failure of a tiny coin battery.

I had this at work where I drove into work and everything was fine. Then at lunch, I couldn't unlock the door. It's like the fob range dropped dramatically...
Luckily managed to get the car home that evening and use my spare fob to go buy a battery for the primary fob.... :P. (fortunately have a spare fob unlike anyone purchasing a car these days...).
The fact that these fobs are constantly transmitting means that their lifespan is about a year vs 8-10 years...

There has to be a better solution... The newest fob is very streamlined. I don't like the shape: much prefer the previous generation of fob: was easier to hold, easier to find the correct buttons, you didn't activate buttons accidentally... I'm sure it could be designed to take 2 or 3 con cells to increase its lifespan...

Quick Reply: Key Fob Battery Replaced, Error persists