Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Key Fob Battery Replaced, Error persists

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 517 Posts

I just changed my key fob battery. I was surprised to see the message there after I replaced it. I actually though maybe I had a bad battery. But two or three operating cycles later the message was gone and has not returned.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:07 AM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

After changing my FOB battery Wed night, yesterday I used my secondary key (with no message). Last night I locked the e-tron with the primary key, let the vehicle sit over 12 hours overnight in my garage, and the message still showed up this morning when I started the e-tron. Guess I need to give it more time.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I was on a road trip from northwest Ohio, where I live to Traverse City, Michigan in early October this year when I got the low battery message about 20 miles away from a planned charging stop. I pulled into the charging stall, hooked up, and while the car was charging I popped into the Walmart to purchase a new coin cell battery. Then I changed it and the error went away immediately. I now wonder if charging the car to a full 100% ended up doing the equivalent of a reset which cleared the error.

Sidenote: the keyfob is a BEAR to open to get at the battery. It took me, my wife, and our passenger collectively about 20 minutes to figure out the precise angle at which the tiny release mechanism needed to be hit before the cover would pop off. At one point I almost sliced my hand.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:46 AM
Institutionalized Member

I am STILL getting the battery warning in my e-tron. What is strange is that over the weekend, a warning showed up in the MyAudi app under "Warnings and information" in red font that I needed to change the battery, with a large red exclamation point icon. I refreshed the app just now, and the warning went away, although this morning I still had the battery warning in the vehicle itself after I started the e-tron. Guess I'll pick up a different CR2032 battery as the one I had (new in package) doesn't seem like it has full charge.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 381 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by yeamac
Guess I'll pick up a different CR2032 battery as the one I had (new in package) doesn't seem like it has full charge.
FWIW coin cells you buy on Amazon are just as likely to be dead counterfeits as legitimate new batteries. Unscrupulous sellers flood Amazon with cheap "recycled" (dead, or used) batteries that have been repackaged. These then get "comingled" with legitimate products. Their customers have a 50/50 chance of getting a legitimate battery but it only cost them a fraction of the cost to "sell" that item because they actually gave Amazon a counterfeit.

If you're buying your batteries on Amazon ... just stop. Buy them at a brick-and-mortar retailer (even though it's way more expensive). At least you are 95+% likely to get legitimate batteries that way.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:00 AM
Institutionalized Member

Originally Posted by skaven81
FWIW coin cells you buy on Amazon are just as likely to be dead counterfeits as legitimate new batteries. Unscrupulous sellers flood Amazon with cheap "recycled" (dead, or used) batteries that have been repackaged. These then get "comingled" with legitimate products. Their customers have a 50/50 chance of getting a legitimate battery but it only cost them a fraction of the cost to "sell" that item because they actually gave Amazon a counterfeit.

If you're buying your batteries on Amazon ... just stop. Buy them at a brick-and-mortar retailer (even though it's way more expensive). At least you are 95+% likely to get legitimate batteries that way.
FWIW, I just purchased a 10-pack of
Panasonic batteries Panasonic batteries
on Amazon, retail package, dated through 2029, for $8.75. At $0.88 per battery, I'll take this over a brick-and-mortar prices any day. I could not even get two batteries locally for the same price. I have a number of devices that take CR2032 batteries. The previous batteries I had that still produced an error in the e-tron had simply sat on my shelf at home for too long (maybe 5 years?), so its not anything to do with Amazon. Definitely stay away from the off-brands, but do your homework and read reviews and it's not hard to end up with the genuine product. The ones I bought even has a note from a user saying they work fine in his Audi keyfob. Worked great for me too. Message went away in about a day.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

btw, Costco started selling Duracell CR2032 batteries. I think the 12 pack is $11.99 and is currently on sale for $2 less. So $9.99 for a dozen.
Old 10-26-2023, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81

I kept getting the fob battery error even after changing the battery.
I load tested the amazon sourced panasonic batteries. 6 out of 10 were at 2.3V. Terrible. Buying from bestbuy from now on.