Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Long Term e-tron Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long Term e-tron Reliability?

I drive 30K miles a year and wonder how reliable the E-tron is after 50K miles. Mine is 2022.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

I doubt that there are very many high mileage etrons out there yet either given that the car is still fairly new. 50k is about the most I have seen on a used one, and it was a 2019.

In the absence of input from owners who have put 70, 80, 90k+ miles on an etron, let the battery warranty do the talking. This gives you an idea of how reliable Audi thinks the vehicles will be. Also look at the extended warranty that Audi offers. I was offered a 2 year/20k mile extension beyond the factory warranty for a 22 MY. That's it. You can get longer term warranties from a third party, but what Audi offers tells me what Audi thinks about the longevity of the car. Given the outrageous cost of replacing the battery, the words "long term" are best left out of the discussion. When the battery goes, the car is scrap unless the cost of replacing it miraculously drops by 75% over the next few years. Since you are putting a lot of miles on the car each year, you will be out of warranty pretty quickly. I would be weary of that because anything mechanical that goes wrong with this car will involve a hefty 4 figure repair. The sales rep told me to expect a rear brake job around 40k miles. $3200 for that. If you have a Chronos I hope you never have to replace the windshield. Holy hell. If you intend to keep this car for a while AND plan on putting miles on it, I would consider the Audi Pure Term Protection if you didn't already buy it. But even that is only good for 6 yrs/72k miles. There is also a Pure Term VSC that covers "unexpected repairs" for 96 months/80k miles. $4120 list for that one at the dealership where I bought my 22 MY. I was offered $750 off that amount, but I declined.

The reason why I bought an etron despite knowing that they are likely to become a money pit after a few years is because I don't plan on owning it long enough to find out. I also only plan on putting maybe 5-8k miles on it each year. If I was looking for a vehicle for long commutes, I would not buy an etron unless I could shrug off 93k and be totally fine with selling it for less than half of what I paid for it after 2-3 years. Given that there will be a lot more EV offerings 2-3 years from now, a high mileage EV that has scary repair bills looming will probably be a tough sell. Don't get me wrong, my 22 MY Chronos doesn't even have 200 miles on it yet and I already think it's the best car that I have ever owned. I just want people to know what to expect if the car has to go into the shop for something not covered by a warranty.

Old 08-12-2022, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

55,000 miles on my 2019 Prestige.

I had to replace my windshield, with HUD, due to a rock, it was $1800.
I did the 20K service, it was $500. I’m not sure why it was that expensive.
I did my next service at 35K, I’m doing annual services versus every 10K miles. It was like $300.
I did my 50K service, it was $150, and I replaced the cabin filter and smelly stuff, it was another $130.
I bought new tires, they were $400 each, then a 4 wheel alignment which was $400. So 2K for that.

I’m out of warranty, and plan to keep the car going for a very long time.

Knock on wood the Audi is just a reliable as my Toyota Sienna!!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by jmp470:
aj3563 (08-13-2022), etron2023 (01-12-2023), PaulW (01-11-2023), sirfrancis (08-13-2022), thebishman (08-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
The sales rep told me to expect a rear brake job around 40k miles. $3200 for that.
Do you have any thoughts on why you would need to replace the rear brakes so soon? I would think that if you don't drive that aggressively, then almost all of your braking will be regenerative so the brakes shouldn't get used very much. Admittedly I'm a new owner, but I almost never use the friction brakes.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmp470
55,000 miles on my 2019 Prestige.

I had to replace my windshield, with HUD, due to a rock, it was $1800.
I did the 20K service, it was $500. I’m not sure why it was that expensive.
I did my next service at 35K, I’m doing annual services versus every 10K miles. It was like $300.
I did my 50K service, it was $150, and I replaced the cabin filter and smelly stuff, it was another $130.
I bought new tires, they were $400 each, then a 4 wheel alignment which was $400. So 2K for that.

I’m out of warranty, and plan to keep the car going for a very long time.

Knock on wood the Audi is just a reliable as my Toyota Sienna!!!!
I hope that ends up being the case. I had a mostly good experience with my 2006 S4, but it took more than new tires and oil changes to get it to 165k miles. The engine had to be rebuilt along the way, fortunately on Audi's dime when the car had 95k miles. It was blowing too much oil through one of the pistons. Those 4.2L V8's had an oil consumption problem and mine was worse than most.

I really would like to see the battery on these etrons last 15-20 years. That's the biggest and most expensive unknown with these cars. Two other major components to watch out for are the motors, and the air suspension. If they prove to be reliable, the car will stay on the road for a long time and go down in automotive history as a winner.

It's also good to hear that you made it to 55k without having to do a brake job.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aabbccbb
Do you have any thoughts on why you would need to replace the rear brakes so soon? I would think that if you don't drive that aggressively, then almost all of your braking will be regenerative so the brakes shouldn't get used very much. Admittedly I'm a new owner, but I almost never use the friction brakes.
That's just what my sales rep said when I asked him what kind of repairs to expect with this car over the next 4 years. He based it on repairs that have been done at that dealership. This isn't a one size fits all situation though. Someone who babies the car probably isn't going to run into nearly as many issues as someone who drives it hard, drives it off road, is mean to the battery, etc.

Since my ultimate goal is to trade in the 22 MY Chronos for a redesigned 24 or 25 MY, I plan on babying it and making it a good find for the second owner. I just had a ceramic coat applied to the paint and wheels today. I want to keep it in pristine shape and hopefully get a lot for it when it sell it. This 22 MY is a set up vehicle for the one that I really want. Current customers get dibs on hard to get vehicles. If you have bought a lot of cars from a particular dealership and are on their list of heavies, they will put you at or near the top of whatever wait list they have going. I told my sales rep that I want a redesigned Q8 etron, or whatever they end up calling it, not 5 minutes after I signed the papers for the 22 MY.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

That's just what my sales rep said when I asked him what kind of repairs to expect with this car over the next 4 years. He based it on repairs that have been done at that dealership. This isn't a one size fits all situation though. Someone who babies the car probably isn't going to run into nearly as many issues as someone who drives it hard, drives it off road, is mean to the battery, etc.
They probably just based it on their experience with ICE cars which does not apply. With the regenerative braking, the brakes should last a long time, possibly the lifetime of the vehicle. On my hybrid, I am still on the original brakes after 85k miles. And the regenerative brakes are not used as much as in the E-tron. On my old car, I replaced the rear brakes after 20 years, 200k miles. They were still not worn but the squeaking in the rain just bugged me. Granted I tend to be rather light on brakes. But they can last a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasW:
jmmarcus (08-15-2022), marraccinijd (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 75000km - Almost 50K Miles

Morning all,

Wanted to share my input about cost of repairs and reliability…

I am reaching out 50K miles - 75K KM and up to now zero repairs and top shape E Tron.

In fact, last maintenance I was told the brakes were only 50% so good for another 35-40K miles at least. I regen a lot but that’s how this car should be driven in my opinion.

Beside that, very strong battery as I did not see any loss of power battery. My mileage is still consistant with the original numbers. No clunk whatsoever , suspension is still very smooth and windshield in one piece (lucky for me since I do a lot of commute)

I’ve been doing my maintenance every time it’s required and don’t have any negative thing to say about it.

So overall, great SUV, great service…It’s my first Audi and certainly not my last one. I love the truck.

On a side note, I’m suppose to get my 2022 S before the end of the month so will start a fresh new journey… Not because I don’t like the truck or because of the mileage but because I’ve been waiting for that 718Ft for some time now to have more fun… 😆

I trust these SUV and don’t see any major issues coming up. Keep in mind the most important warranty aspect is the 8 years 160K battery. So for me, that’s reassuring.

Voilà about my story.

cheers
The following 5 users liked this post by Senna777:
jmp470 (08-14-2022), marraccinijd (08-13-2022), peteh2 (01-10-2023), sirfrancis (08-13-2022), thebishman (08-13-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts

It's also good to hear that you made it to 55k without having to do a brake job.
This is typical for EVs and hybrids. As most slowing down is by regeneration, the friction brake pads will last 200+k miles.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

we are at 41,000 miles and drive about 17,000 miles per year. i've been getting quotes to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles. costs vary from dealer to dealer but about $4300-4500.

wondering if we should buy it for peace of mind or just take our chances. we will likely reach 100k miles before 6 years ownership.

so far everything has been great (knock on wood), but i'm a little worried about repair costs of things like air suspension, MMI, etc.

Quick Reply: Long Term e-tron Reliability?