Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Low coolant light on cross country

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
Here is a picture of the Q8 Motor Coolant Tank which is the same as O-G etron. There is a small tower with a float inside it to indicate the fluid level. The tank generally seems to be about 2/3 full. It's hard to see the float without looking closely.
Thanks for the picture. Which area is the front fill tank located?
Old 08-15-2023, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Etron
Thanks for the picture. Which area is the front fill tank located?
Passenger side right up at the windshield.
The following users liked this post:
PNW Etron (08-16-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill33525
Passenger side right up at the windshield.
Remove the plastic panel - it's there.
The following 2 users liked this post by mks632:
DMD (08-17-2023), PNW Etron (08-16-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks!

There's lots of good info in this thread. Should we create a pinned posting about DIY maintenance on our Etrons? I'm coming off my 4 year Audi Care and will be doing my own maintenance in the future. I would think many fellow Etron owners will be doing the same since there's very little maintenance involved. Seems like lots of little checks; changing the coolant cartridge in the rear; checking the front coolant; and also doing brake fluid flushes. Audi seems to take the approach of no fluid changes in the transmission and focus on replacement when they fail. So why pay for overpriced service that you can do it yourself in a fraction of the time? Anyone else looking to do their own service?
Old 09-01-2023, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Etron
Thanks!

There's lots of good info in this thread. Should we create a pinned posting about DIY maintenance on our Etrons? I'm coming off my 4 year Audi Care and will be doing my own maintenance in the future. I would think many fellow Etron owners will be doing the same since there's very little maintenance involved. Seems like lots of little checks; changing the coolant cartridge in the rear; checking the front coolant; and also doing brake fluid flushes. Audi seems to take the approach of no fluid changes in the transmission and focus on replacement when they fail. So why pay for overpriced service that you can do it yourself in a fraction of the time? Anyone else looking to do their own service?
I would love to see such a section created - I am also an avid DIY owner and have been for 50+ years (still have a dwell tach meter, timing light, etc.and remember the days of changing points, condenser, spark plugs, setting timing, and doing carburetor work). I'm afraid the number of contributors to that effort will be low, however. Most of the forum members here seem to be not very interested in performing their own maintenance activities. Perhaps a subset of maintenance enthusiasts will emerge.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Me too!

Well, same issue here. Took my ‘21 to Audi Reno/Tahoe for the 40k service on Monday and they found the coolant had filled the overflow tank and made its way into the front drive motor. I had no “low coolant” indicator light though. They ordered the replacement parts and were able to get a new drive motor from Sacramento and were hoping to get it Tuesday or Wednesday. Then dropping the front end, replacing the front motor and all the necessary parts, and have me back in my car in a week. We’ll see!
Both the technician and my service guy said AofA notified them if this issue last week and mine was already the second they saw.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 517 Posts

Well, my '19 called back to the mothership during its TAC and there are now two new emotors being shipped.

I'll keep everybody posted. Today is day two of the TAC.

Tech is replacing the 12v battery as well.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

With what we see on this thread, it seems that motor failure is a solid "when", not "if".

A4, what are your driving patters? Do you drive longer distances often enough? With the timing of my motor failures (during and right after road trip), I've been wondering if that's a factor.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
With what we see on this thread, it seems that motor failure is a solid "when", not "if".

A4, what are your driving patters? Do you drive longer distances often enough? With the timing of my motor failures (during and right after road trip), I've been wondering if that's a factor.
The initial low coolant level warnings came on at the 1500 mile point on an 1800 DC to CO trip.

But the car generally operates locally around DMV and then does one long trip every other month. DC to FL or DC to WY/CO/AZ

Old 09-27-2023, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Well, my '19 called back to the mothership during its TAC and there are now two new emotors being shipped.

I'll keep everybody posted. Today is day two of the TAC.

Tech is replacing the 12v battery as well.
Shouldn't they have ordered those motors when you had coolant leak diagnosed in Denver?

did they tell you what what is the wait on new replacement motors these days?

Quick Reply: Low coolant light on cross country