Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Low coolant light on cross country

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm approaching the 60K mark on my 2019 prestige. Vehicle has been trouble free, knock on wood. I put about 15K on it. Never road tripped the car. 99.9% of the time charge at home to 80%. Still love the car! I have an appointment with Rockville Audi for my 60K service next month. Definitely will have them check the coolants and 12 V battery. Been reading some of the other threads on this forum on these two issues. I live in Maryland, A4 Phil, where do you service your vehicle?
Old 09-27-2023, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 712 Likes on 517 Posts

OK so in that very "Audi" way of being frustrating, today was day 3 of my TAC and the Audi US computers were not talking to the mothership all day. Service adviser says that they will follow up tomorrow. AGHHHH....
But he is wrapping my bubbled dashboard into this service as well since apparently, they will have the car for a while.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am guessing that this is why the mothership is not talking.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...re-2023-09-27/
The following users liked this post:
maconda99 (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

My MyAudi app crashed weirdly, even for that app, yesterday, but is back up now. Maybe the IT problem was fixed.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

@A4 Phil , make sure your technician ordered new motor mount bolts. My guys got the motor and all the other items they needed, but just yesterday found out the bolts that mount the motor can only be torqued once (!?!). So now we are waiting on new bolts. Going on almost 2 weeks now. Sucks having to pay for gas in the loaner Q5, especially here in California at nearly $7/gallon!
A4 Phil (09-29-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Update today: Parts on order for two emotors. To include motor mount bolts (Thank you @ERuss ) Apparently delivery might take two to three weeks.

I did get transitioned to a loaner today (Day 8 of TAC) Q5 ICE. I was told I could get a Q8 e-tron sportback if I was willing to wait several weeks. I needed a car now.

Service center claims they have done several motor changes and can knock them both out in a week.

So I am looking at a month of no e-tron.

20/20 hind sight I probably should have extended my stay in Denver and had the work done there. They offered to knock the swap on the upcoming Monday, done on Wednesday. (I was there on Saturday for the low coolant light.)

I have never been to Audi Beverly Hills that everybody talks about, but that Audi Denver is pretty impressive. I had a tire warranty service at Audi Orlando and it was pretty great as well.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

@A4 Phil wow, guess I got lucky that a nearby dealer had a motor they could transfer. Just got my e-tron back after 2 weeks and a day. Looking through the workorder, yes, coolant had leaked into the front electric drive motor so I got a new front motor. 50 line-items of bolts, nuts, seals, gaskets, rings, adapters, and screws. My SA said the new motor assemblies are updated with better seals, gaskets, and whatnot to prevent this from happening, but think what you will about that. The workorder says they also "re-energized the high-voltage system." I got a quick peek at the warranty work and it showed a total of around $8500.
gvbell (10-04-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ERuss
@A4 Phil wow, guess I got lucky that a nearby dealer had a motor they could transfer. Just got my e-tron back after 2 weeks and a day. Looking through the workorder, yes, coolant had leaked into the front electric drive motor so I got a new front motor. 50 line-items of bolts, nuts, seals, gaskets, rings, adapters, and screws. My SA said the new motor assemblies are updated with better seals, gaskets, and whatnot to prevent this from happening, but think what you will about that. The workorder says they also "re-energized the high-voltage system." I got a quick peek at the warranty work and it showed a total of around $8500.
It is kind of crazy with these old e-motors failing. I wonder if Audi will end up having to extend the e-motor warranty? Mine died a few months before the OEM warranty expired.

$8500 X 2 is a lot of money when the car is only worth $40K tops now.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts

^^^
The front motor assembly is about $3k new, $2 reconditioned. The rest that gets charged is misc parts, labor and whatnot that the dealer keeps. The dealers are happy to see these repairs for the most part.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rdgrimes
^^^
The front motor assembly is about $3k new, $2 reconditioned. The rest that gets charged is misc parts, labor and whatnot that the dealer keeps. The dealers are happy to see these repairs for the most part.
Ok. That makes sense. I did ask specifically and mine are new and not refurbed. Apparently as said upstream, new means the latest motor iteration (Non Q8) and all of the updated connections and seals. The Tech Foreman claims that none of the new design have failed yet due to this coolant issue, in the world.
marraccinijd (10-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Low coolant light on cross country