Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Not able to set maximum charge level

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not able to set maximum charge level

hi all,

not sure what I'm doing wrong: I try to set the maximum charge level but the slide keeps going back to the 50% level. I try to use the + signal on the menu or slide the cursor but both ways always give the same result: the screen shows the limit going to 50%. Strangely the car always charge at 100%

any one has experienced this? How to fix this?
Old 04-26-2020, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

Are you using the Audi Charger that came with the car? It may be set to 50%, change that to 100% on the charger itself.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had this issue on a loaner eTron. The MMI max charge setting would not change from the 50% level, but would charge to 100%. The dealer staff couldn't figure it out either. Since it was a loaner I didn't worry about it too much and don't know a fix.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Apollo1403
I had this issue on a loaner eTron. The MMI max charge setting would not change from the 50% level, but would charge to 100%. The dealer staff couldn't figure it out either. Since it was a loaner I didn't worry about it too much and don't know a fix.
Yes, this is what's happening with my car. The home charger works ok but the issue is with the MMI screen.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The Charging Target can also be controlled by the Advanced Charging Settings ( or the system got confused with your current location)
I will suggest starting with deleting all your Advanced charging settings (locations)
see this for reference

If you have multiple Profiles setup, try remove them and create only a single Profile.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the updates that is available right now the Audi Charger is reprogrammed to default to 100% from the factory it defaults to 50% charge rate. You have to push the button on the charger every time until the update is done.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:37 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie2
Are you using the Audi Charger that came with the car? It may be set to 50%, change that to 100% on the charger itself.
We're talking apples and oranges here- The 50/100 setting on the charger sets the charge rate, the OP is talking about total charge capacity.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
The Charging Target can also be controlled by the Advanced Charging Settings ( or the system got confused with your current location)
I will suggest starting with deleting all your Advanced charging settings (locations)
see this for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPbfqbEVXC0

If you have multiple Profiles setup, try remove them and create only a single Profile.
Thank you.
I don't have any charging profile and only one driver profile. Let me play with the advance charging settings, maybe I can create one global one that will allow me to set the charging level. I need also to do a SW update for the MMI.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this mysterious 'charge to 50%' about a week ago. I had set it previously to 100% before a trip, and when I got to the EA charger, I wanted to adjust it back to 80. It would not let me move it. But the car was at 55, I plugged it in and it charged with no issues until I turned off the charger at 92%. I got to my destination, same thing....50%. I added an advanced setting for current location at 80% and charged. Next day, when I got home, I was able to move the charge once again. I deleted my one advanced setting entry, and i could still move it. Seems like a glitch in their software to me.

Might be worth adding an advanced setting, then waiting till you can adjust, then delete it. Sounds like black magic, but this was the sequence of events I had.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It worked!

After I set up a advance charging profile (for my home address for instance) I was able to set the maximum charge level either while defining the profile or after that on the MMI screen: I could now slide the bar or press the - or + signals.

After that I removed the advance profile and went back to the same limitation. It seems a SW bug, I would expect to be able to setup the maximum charge despite having an advance charging profile. Maybe Audi wants to have always 100% to avoid someone on a long trip to forget setting the charge level to 100%.

In this case I will need to create two profiles: one for charging at home and another one at work both at 80%. All other charges (while on the road) will fall into the 100% limit.
The following users liked this post:
Apollo1403 (04-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Not able to set maximum charge level