Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Price not Guaranteed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price not Guaranteed?

I was reading that people are saying the price is the price, however reading the terms of reserving a car it sounds like the MSRP does not have to be honored by the dealer the car will be delivered to and they could opt for a different price at their discretion. Am I reading this wrong? Almost sounds like you can negotiate a price with the dealer:

-------------

You will still be required to contact an authorized Audi Dealer to discuss final transaction pricing

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT DEALER SETS THE ACTUAL PRICE, WHICH MAY DIFFER FROM THE MSRP. The MSRP does not include taxes, title, transportation, other options and other dealer fees and charges
-----------------

Thanks.

JR
Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jriker1
I was reading that people are saying the price is the price, however reading the terms of reserving a car it sounds like the MSRP does not have to be honored by the dealer the car will be delivered to and they could opt for a different price at their discretion. Am I reading this wrong? Almost sounds like you can negotiate a price with the dealer:
You are reading it correctly.

If the dealer lowers the price, it's upside, but unlikely. If the dealer raises the price you can always walk from the order.

It would be poor form by the dealer to raise the MSRP, as consumers have an expectation to pay the price listed on Audi's site when they placed the order. If the dealer does that to me, I will walk, and provide negative feedback on them both online, and to Audi. It would be the last Audi I ever considered ordering.

With all the anticipation in this forum for consumers waiting for their vehicles, we might lose sight of the current state in the Auto industry which is slowing. Supply when past the initial launch will exceed demand. Tesla has the same problem, with demand slowing.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sure I will follow suit if they try and up the price. I have a particular dealer at a dealership I would like to work with if it works out that way. Not sure how after you pick a dealership how the orders get divided up between the sales reps but doesn't sound like people are trying to negotiate price on these things even though the wording sounds like you could. The if the dealer can do it why can't we? Personally, wish they were all sold at a fair price with minor profit and this price haggling was eliminating but not really the way of the world.

Thanks.

JR
Old 04-24-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 535 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by madcanadian

It would be poor form by the dealer to raise the MSRP, as consumers have an expectation to pay the price listed on Audi's site when they placed the order. ...
A dealer cannot raise the manufacturer's suggested retail price, they can choose to sell below, at, or above it. That's the whole point of the "S". There's nothing that new or different when it comes to the e-tron. It's just the reservation system that's a bit new and unusual. Yes, if they try and lift the price, walk away and complain to the distributor.

Equally if a customer wants to lower the agreed price, the dealer can just tell them to walk away too. Not sure who they complain to

What will be interesting is if, say, 50% of potential customers reserving the car walk away from it because they don't like the EPA range, then dealers may end up with quite a few cars to sell off the lot. If they start discounting these, whilst reserved orders are still to be fulfilled, that would be a mess.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

But in the end, wonder if anyone will negotiate these once they walk into the dealership to pick up the car. Assuming in the states anyway, no one has received these yet?

Also out of curiosity, second time I've heard the miles thing. What was the expected mileage that was being reported before the 204 miles number came out, or wasn't it and that was just new information that turned people off when it finally came out?

Funny thing is it can do better however because of that 80% battery thing, either it's charged only 80% or it's set not to drain below 20% technically the vehicle can do more. From my perspective, you have a 100,000 mile warranty on the batteries, I don't care if they go bad or degrade, that's Audi's problem under warranty to replace them so don't put a limiter on the car batteries to save yourselves from additional replacements by assuming the batteries will last longer by some of these tricks which take away a good amount of distance you can get with this car with that 20%.

Thanks.

JR
Old 04-24-2019, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is no Audi warranty that the battery won't degrade. The only warranty I have seen is that it won't degrade beyond 70% to the 8th year.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
A dealer cannot raise the manufacturer's suggested retail price, they can choose to sell below, at, or above it.
You're correct. Here in high demand areas of California, dealers add a regional markup, which is one way to raise the price above MSRP.

Last edited by madcanadian; 04-24-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by COe-Tron
There is no Audi warranty that the battery won't degrade. The only warranty I have seen is that it won't degrade beyond 70% to the 8th year.
Think Audi's Diesel emissions scandal, the $$$ Billions paid in damages, and the executives with criminal charges facing potential jail time -- Audi is incentivized to be very conservative with battery claims, avoiding another incident on their pivot to electric.

Last edited by madcanadian; 04-24-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The Letter to Remember

The letter to remember in MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" is the "S." -- SUGGESTED. Negotiating a deal on the e-tron is no different than negotiating a deal on any vehicle. In the "old days" a dealer might try to get more for the car than the MSRP by the use of a"value added" sticker. I can remember as a kid in Philadelphia dealers would try to collect $200.00 for 20 dollars worth of undercoating. In that case, my dads always would tell the dealer where to stick the value added sticker. The dealer can always reduce the MSRP to arrive at the selling price or net capitalized cost.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jriker1
Funny thing is it can do better however because of that 80% battery thing, either it's charged only 80% or it's set not to drain below 20% technically the vehicle can do more. From my perspective, you have a 100,000 mile warranty on the batteries, I don't care if they go bad or degrade, that's Audi's problem under warranty to replace them so don't put a limiter on the car batteries to save yourselves from additional replacements by assuming the batteries will last longer by some of these tricks which take away a good amount of distance you can get with this car with that 20%.
This is certainly what I plan to do, 100% charge every day. EV’s batteries that are being babied like the Audi Etron have rarely had major degradation issues. My first EV is now a good 10 years old and has liquid cooling, L2 charging and high buffer that Audi has and I have seen minimal degradation after 10 years. Manufacturers are getting really good at this technology now.

Quick Reply: Price not Guaranteed?