Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Regenerative braking modes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Regenerative braking modes

I have seen mixed messaging about the regenerative breaking options. Wondering what the group consensus is on whether automatic or manual provide the most added range. Is see in manual, the setting you select doesn't stay set after turning the car on and off. I have seen articles quoting Audi e-Tron engineers who state you will get the same benefits in automatic, but they offer the manual mode for those who prefer more one pedal driving. My goal is to extend my range.
The following users liked this post:
Louis Samson (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DG-e-Tron
I have seen mixed messaging about the regenerative breaking options. Wondering what the group consensus is on whether automatic or manual provide the most added range. Is see in manual, the setting you select doesn't stay set after turning the car on and off. I have seen articles quoting Audi e-Tron engineers who state you will get the same benefits in automatic, but they offer the manual mode for those who prefer more one pedal driving. My goal is to extend my range.
Do the best of both worlds. Leave it on automatic and let the car manage it for you but in the times you want to use it then just use the paddle shifters. I leave mine in automatic and adjust using the paddle shifters when driving.
The following 3 users liked this post by hrc1079:
John (aka Daddio) (07-01-2020), LavaGrau_A3 (06-30-2020), thebishman (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

I think it comes down to personal preference. I have tried it both ways and I perfer manual mode. I actually don't do much one-pedal driving, but I like the free coasting manual mode gives you. I treat the brake regeneration paddles as temporary, even in manual mode -- that is, I will also ++ if I -- or + if I -, returning the car to coasting mode. Plus, I don't like the car slowing me down if it sense cars in front of me, which is turned off in manual mode. From an efficiency perspective, I haven't seen much, if any, difference between automatic or manual.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hrc1079
Do the best of both worlds. Leave it on automatic and let the car manage it for you but in the times you want to use it then just use the paddle shifters. I leave mine in automatic and adjust using the paddle shifters when driving.
It seems though that in automatic when you put your foot back on accelerator it resets to default.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

It seems though that in automatic when you put your foot back on accelerator it resets to default.
That's correct. I just tap the pedals a couple of times to get the max regen again.
axthomson (06-28-2021)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

That is the part of the automatic mode that I appreciate as well. It always reverts back to coasting. As for efficiency, I would expect coasting to give you the best results. With one pedal driving, you may end up charging and discharging the battery constantly depending on how steady you can hold your foot position. Whether you you get to coasting through the manual or automatic mode should not really make a difference. So that part simply comes down to personal preference.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Coasting is the most efficient way to keep your kinetic stored energy, so use Automatic. Regen is next, then last and avoid at all costs is the friction breaks.

I do not find 1 pedal driving natural and love the ability to coast with foot off accelerator. Other EV do not have the integrated regen to friction breaks in the break pedal, and after driving both, I like the Audi decision.

Driving without the manual regen kicking in all the time also makes for smoother driving experience in my opinion.
Bill33525 (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 07:11 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

I use Automatic because it's the same as Manual for coasting, and the paddles work the same as in Manual, but the car automatically gains additional efficiency in situations I might not otherwise think to pull the paddle.

However, my main reason for preferring Auto is this: When coasting, it follows the car in front at whatever distance you've set (mine is 1 second) and maintains it automatically. It keeps me at the proper distance while generating electricity, all automatically so I can relax. I don't see a downside. I noticed the other day that one of our work fleet cars (Toyota hybrid) does a similar automatic regeneration/braking thing when coasting behind another car. Not for everyone but I like it.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
I use Automatic because it's the same as Manual for coasting, and the paddles work the same as in Manual, but the car automatically gains additional efficiency in situations I might not otherwise think to pull the paddle.

However, my main reason for preferring Auto is this: When coasting, it follows the car in front at whatever distance you've set (mine is 1 second) and maintains it automatically. It keeps me at the proper distance while generating electricity, all automatically so I can relax. I don't see a downside. I noticed the other day that one of our work fleet cars (Toyota hybrid) does a similar automatic regeneration/braking thing when coasting behind another car. Not for everyone but I like it.
Where do you set this time at in the MMI? I don't recall seeing an option expressed in seconds.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WildBTK
Where do you set this time at in the MMI? I don't recall seeing an option expressed in seconds.
It's on the adpative cruise control lever. The toggle switch on the front sets the following distance, with each bar representing 1 second.

Quick Reply: Regenerative braking modes