Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Rumor of Audi Extending Warranty for Front Motor Failure Due to Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by ChalupaMonster
So the warranty on the motors is 6 years, outside of the 4 year 50k mi warranty? Is there a document that confirms this change without having to check with the dealer?
Not confirmed yet. I'll post my paperwork this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
ChalupaMonster (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

I got a trade in offer for 36k on my '22 Chronos. I paid 85k for the car less than 2 years ago. That has got to be a new record for depreciation. Selling the car is not even an option at this point. Good thing I like it because I will have to drive it for 9+ years to make it worth the cost. Yes, I will be getting an extended warranty. It doesn't appear that Audi solved it's reliability issues by going electric.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
I got a trade in offer for 36k on my '22 Chronos. I paid 85k for the car less than 2 years ago. That has got to be a new record for depreciation. Selling the car is not even an option at this point. Good thing I like it because I will have to drive it for 9+ years to make it worth the cost. Yes, I will be getting an extended warranty. It doesn't appear that Audi solved it's reliability issues by going electric.
I have a 13yo. As much as it pains me, I might end up just giving my '19 to her when she can drive. I wanted to get her a Rivian 3 but giving her the e-tron might actually make more financial sense.

As for me, I have almost done a 180 on my desire to buy a new Q6 e-tron and might wait for a new improved Q8 e-tron on PPE if that can be released in the next three years.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Similar situation as others have described with electrical malfunction and replacement of motor, 21 Etron Sportback with 47,500 miles! Dealer had Etron for 1 week. Supplied us with a Q8 nice. Car but cost $130 for premium for around 300 miles. Love the Etron but as others have commented on longevity of this car. So sorry to say since I really love this car
Old 04-11-2024, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirate2021
Similar situation as others have described with electrical malfunction and replacement of motor, 21 Etron Sportback with 47,500 miles! Dealer had Etron for 1 week. Supplied us with a Q8 nice. Car but cost $130 for premium for around 300 miles. Love the Etron but as others have commented on longevity of this car. So sorry to say since I really love this car
Yeah, I had a Q5 loaner while they replaced my e-tron motor and surprisingly it was underpowered and a gas guzzler.
peterolsovsky (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm happy to keep my 2019 another 10 years. The range is enough that I use a public DC charger only twice a year. I also save money by having access to cheap power and 99.9% of the time charge at home.

Since it's clear that the motor seals are more like a wear item, there's not much to service on the etron except periodic brake flushes and generally caring for the car. Changing the coolant cartridge or checking for front motor coolant leaks won't improve the longevity or save you from a motor replacement. I'm going to take the maintenance savings and use that to offset an eventual motor replacement.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mhousealum
I have only had the motor fail due to coolant leak. None of the other issues you mention. Vehicle is a joy to drive. Range is by far the biggest con.
Originally Posted by PNW Etron
I'm happy to keep my 2019 another 10 years. The range is enough that I use a public DC charger only twice a year. I also save money by having access to cheap power and 99.9% of the time charge at home.

Since it's clear that the motor seals are more like a wear item, there's not much to service on the etron except periodic brake flushes and generally caring for the car. Changing the coolant cartridge or checking for front motor coolant leaks won't improve the longevity or save you from a motor replacement. I'm going to take the maintenance savings and use that to offset an eventual motor replacement.
...but that beats the purpose financially no? You save on maintenance cost, but then spend it "IF" motor goes bad.

One more thing, cost of electricity in NY State, Westchester county is now about 28c/kWh, so not that cheap to operate anymore. More like the gas car, or very close. The only convenience is to charge it home overnight really.

Now we're in process of considering solar panels on our house to save on electricity cost. So we spend more to save more. Everything is backwards in this country.

Last edited by peterolsovsky; 04-12-2024 at 08:43 AM.
mhousealum (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Etron

Similar thoughts too - I was going to post a new thread about ideas on how to proceed.
On one hand I thought, I'm an Audi nut so unless I get an iX for a very very good price, I'm not going to move away from the brand. And when comparing to the Q8...well 50-60 miles means nothing vs the cost to upgrade. Not to mention its probably less when you take into account the slower charge curve.
Even tech bar the MMI being a little newer, is not enough to change - in the UK, I have more spec that is even available on the top model Q8.

BUT the 2 things that worry me are the main core of the car - battery and motors.
Battery I have recently found out on here is not a true 8 year warranty but from memory, only a top up to 70 something % if it were to die by the 8th year. 5 years/36000 miles in, my range is as good as it was new.
As long as motors which to be fair could be an issue on most current EVs, does not make it dangerous (middle of a highway ) then an extended warranty on it would probably make me keep the car for more than the 3 years until battery warranty.

I'm renewing the extended warranty annually so based on the mileage cap and my current use, I should be able to extend it all the way to 2029.

Difficult one as almost all my cars previously have had enough equity to make sense trading up but with the drop in EV prices, I'd be making a fair bit of a loss if I traded up now.

Lets see what comes out of the motor warranty -touchwood, no issues so far!

Old 04-12-2024, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by aj84
Similar thoughts too - I was going to post a new thread about ideas on how to proceed.
On one hand I thought, I'm an Audi nut so unless I get an iX for a very very good price, I'm not going to move away from the brand. And when comparing to the Q8...well 50-60 miles means nothing vs the cost to upgrade. Not to mention its probably less when you take into account the slower charge curve.
Even tech bar the MMI being a little newer, is not enough to change - in the UK, I have more spec that is even available on the top model Q8.

BUT the 2 things that worry me are the main core of the car - battery and motors.
Battery I have recently found out on here is not a true 8 year warranty but from memory, only a top up to 70 something % if it were to die by the 8th year. 5 years/36000 miles in, my range is as good as it was new.
As long as motors which to be fair could be an issue on most current EVs, does not make it dangerous (middle of a highway ) then an extended warranty on it would probably make me keep the car for more than the 3 years until battery warranty.

I'm renewing the extended warranty annually so based on the mileage cap and my current use, I should be able to extend it all the way to 2029.

Difficult one as almost all my cars previously have had enough equity to make sense trading up but with the drop in EV prices, I'd be making a fair bit of a loss if I traded up now.

Lets see what comes out of the motor warranty -touchwood, no issues so far!
I have a high tolerance for risk. I looked at an extended warranty from Fidelity which is about $5400 for an additional 7 years and 70K miles with a $250 deductible. I passed on this figuring I would self-insure and not have to worry about getting approval from Fidelity for repairs and to track all the exclussions. I also want to keep my car for more than another 7 years...more like another 10-12 years. When I add in the savings from very few maintenance items that must be performed, I would be ok (not happy but ok) with a motor replacement. If Audi ends up extending the warranty on the motors, that would be a plus. As more motors fail outside of warranty, I hope getting a motor replacement will be easier and less costly over time. Hopefully, the old motors are getting refurbished. It sounds like motors run as low as mid $2k for the part which is much lower than a few years ago.

All cars have problems. The most reliable and cheaper cars to maintain tend to be Toyota/Honda because they are simpler. I purchased a Honda before for reliability/low cost; this was REALLY disappointing because my particular Honda was neither reliable nor low cost to maintain. If it's a purely financial decision, buying an Audi/BMW/Lexus is a poor choice. So I'm good with trading a financial hit for repairs in return for a car that I enjoy driving. YMMV

Old 04-12-2024, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by peterolsovsky
Now we're in process of considering solar panels on our house to save on electricity cost. So we spend more to save more. Everything is backwards in this country.
Spend more to purchase the illusion of saving, in most cases.
peterolsovsky (04-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Rumor of Audi Extending Warranty for Front Motor Failure Due to Coolant Leak