Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Rumor of Audi Extending Warranty for Front Motor Failure Due to Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW Etron
I have a high tolerance for risk. I looked at an extended warranty from Fidelity which is about $5400 for an additional 7 years and 70K miles with a $250 deductible. I passed on this figuring I would self-insure and not have to worry about getting approval from Fidelity for repairs and to track all the exclussions. I also want to keep my car for more than another 7 years...more like another 10-12 years. When I add in the savings from very few maintenance items that must be performed, I would be ok (not happy but ok) with a motor replacement. If Audi ends up extending the warranty on the motors, that would be a plus. As more motors fail outside of warranty, I hope getting a motor replacement will be easier and less costly over time. Hopefully, the old motors are getting refurbished. It sounds like motors run as low as mid $2k for the part which is much lower than a few years ago.

All cars have problems. The most reliable and cheaper cars to maintain tend to be Toyota/Honda because they are simpler. I purchased a Honda before for reliability/low cost; this was REALLY disappointing because my particular Honda was neither reliable nor low cost to maintain. If it's a purely financial decision, buying an Audi/BMW/Lexus is a poor choice. So I'm good with trading a financial hit for repairs in return for a car that I enjoy driving. YMMV
I would think that until we have independent shops for electric cars, what parts cost does not matter much, dealers will rape you just the same (they do charge $99 for a $3 brake wear sensor after all).
They have a monopoly on repairs and you can ony fight a monopoly with another oligopoly, i.e. insurance. Either that or scrap the cars when they break.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I have a 13yo. As much as it pains me, I might end up just giving my '19 to her when she can drive. I wanted to get her a Rivian 3 but giving her the e-tron might actually make more financial sense.

As for me, I have almost done a 180 on my desire to buy a new Q6 e-tron and might wait for a new improved Q8 e-tron on PPE if that can be released in the next three years.
I have a 10 year old and I'm thinking the same thing with my '22. She can drive it while she's in high school assuming that it's still in good shape at that point.

I could never see myself in a Q6. It's so small. If I was going smaller I would opt for a Macan.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
Spend more to purchase the illusion of saving, in most cases.
A couple of years ago I paid 28k for a 12.5kW solar system. Even with the electric car we break even on electricity for the year. The first year we ended up with about a $100 credit. Last year we owed about $100 at the true up. Our electric bills went from $350-500 per month depending on the time of year to ZERO. Conservatively speaking, our solar system will pay for itself in 7 years..... and it has a 20 year warranty. It's going to save us a ton of money over the long term, and if we decide to sell the house sooner the overproducing solar system will be a major selling point. CA has since made solar panel purchases a little less enticing because PG&E now pays less for excess power that is sold back to the grid, but if you have electric bills in the range that I do it's still well worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by coldrain85:
blope (04-12-2024), peterolsovsky (04-15-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Solar is not worth it here in Atlanta yet.
My electric in summer has only passed $200 once! We pay $26 / mo service fee and $0.07 per kwH
The following 2 users liked this post by Dimcorner21:
kataja (04-25-2024), peterolsovsky (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry for hijacking this discussion, but thanks for all the valuable input. Going to do it.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

That feeling when six weeks after you turn it in, your e-tron reports itself in motion. Could it finally be ready to come out of TAC?

Old 04-24-2024, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 04-26-2024, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Picked up my car yesterday. I put the final billing in my old thread.

Low coolant light on cross country - Page 7 - AudiWorld Forums
Old 04-30-2024, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
As I reported a couple of weeks ago, mine is being replaced under this extended warranty. I pick it up on Friday and will photo the paperwork to post as always.

My service advisor mentioned this when I turned the car in as I wanted to be crystal clear as to who was paying. He mentioned that the motor is at 6 years in the computer but they think it will change to 8 in the near future.

My 2019 is currently at Audi waiting for its second front motor replacement and now that we are out of warranty they want to charge us $16K. Does anyone know how to get them to confirm that Audi is extending this to 6 years???
Old 04-30-2024, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jcumby
My 2019 is currently at Audi waiting for its second front motor replacement and now that we are out of warranty they want to charge us $16K. Does anyone know how to get them to confirm that Audi is extending this to 6 years???
Audi front motor replacement number 2? How many miles do you have on the second motor. I would contact Audi USA? Can we get more details from you? How many miles? What month did your basic warranty expire? You can scrub through my receipt I posted but I did not see any indicator of an extended warranty program. But they did cover it.

Quick Reply: Rumor of Audi Extending Warranty for Front Motor Failure Due to Coolant Leak