Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

SOS malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SOS malfunction

I'm getting an SOS malfunction warning when I start my e-tron. This has happened a couple of times now. It seems to clear by itself after leaving the car overnight, but it looks like the warning might be here to stay now.

The Q7 forums have several mentions of this same issue, it seems a common problem there. Has anyone experienced this with their e-tron? The fix for the Q7 seems to be replacing some unspecified module, or worse, replacing a coax cable which requires removing the dash and center console. I rather not have that done to my e-tron TBH.

Interestingly enough, I tried using the SOS call feature and it seems to work fine. A nice lady from Audi answers and asks if everything is OK. I mentioned I was just testing the feature and ended the call.

Though, if this is indeed due to a loose coax cable issue, I wonder how the SOS module is able to detect that in the first place? I mean, simply measuring signal strength would lead to false positives in underground parking garages all the time...
Old 01-11-2020, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by yousufferbutwhy
, if this is indeed due to a loose coax cable issue, I wonder how the SOS module is able to detect that in the first place? I mean, simply measuring signal strength would lead to false positives in underground parking garages all the time...
Cable/Cabling and Antenna mis-tune issues can be detected via either the impedance ( at the particular transmit frequency) or the SWR, this can be done in the Front-End circuit of the RF module

I am a Ham radio advanced class licensed
Old 01-16-2020, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

To follow up on my issue in case someone else has this problem, I took the car to a dealer who confirmed "DTC U142100 control module for SOS no communication" on cold start. They then performed TSB 2056076/6. This basically consists of unplugging the telematics control module from its backup battery, waiting 60 seconds, and then reconnecting. This cleared the fault (for now.)

The control module is located under the backseat, which was removed to perform the steps in the TSB.

I was advised to power cycle the car in case the fault reappears which should clear it. The service advisor speculated there is a software bug at the root cause, and that Audi will issue a software update in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Eatsleepbikerun (02-12-2024)
Old 04-30-2020, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had this happen on my e-tron as well. Has there been any further developments on this for you?
Old 05-02-2020, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fortunately the problem has not happened again for me. You could ask the dealer to do the TSB. If I were to speculate, maybe the telematics module is always on even when the car is off? So it does not powercycle on start and unplugging it is the only way to reset it?
Old 05-02-2020, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yousufferbutwhy
Fortunately the problem has not happened again for me. You could ask the dealer to do the TSB. If I were to speculate, maybe the telematics module is always on even when the car is off? So it does not powercycle on start and unplugging it is the only way to reset it?
Thanks for this, I'll be contacting my dealer Monday. It seems to do it every time I turn it on now. I'll share if my experience is some how different than yours.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One month after my September 2019 delivery I lost connectivity with the MyAudi app. After several months of troubleshooting with Audi Connect,and performing of TSB #2056076/7, the problem was traced to an internal electrical failure of the Emergency Control Module (SOS communication).. The module was replaced and connectivity was finally restored!. The failed SOS module was blocking communication to the Audi Connect server.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My SOS light has been out for about 45 days, and the app was not functioning. It went in this week for the Service Pack 2 update, and I reported this issue. The shop indicated they performed TSB 2056076/8 and the car's not back yet, but the app is reporting the correct battery level!