Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Used or new etron?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used or new etron?

I’m In the market for buying a new car. I owned a Prius since 2006 and traded it in for a 2020 Volvo XC60 T8 and Volvo is buying it back because it’s a lemon. The idea was to get into a newer car and get grandfathered into Arizona’s hybrid plate since I had it since 2006. Well that backfired on me with this lemon and I’ll be losing my beloved plate.
I really want an EV SUV and I prefer the etron over the Tesla Y.

The whole buyback process took way longer than I wanted and now I’ve missed out on some great deals on 2019s. Are new 2019s even still out there?

I'm starting to see used 2019s for sale. Including a service loaner at one of the local dealerships. 2019 prestige 8800 miles.
Any thoughts on used 2019s?
or should I suck it up and look at the 2021s? I’m not interested in the sportback.

I’m nervous on getting stuck with another lemon after my recent experience. So I feel torn with the 2019s.

I hate to think of going back to an ICE or hybrid .... but I may do it so I can feel confident on getting a stable reliable vehicle (I.e. Toyota Highlander). Wait 2-3 years and look at ev suvs at that time. Although tax incentives and/or reduced Arizona vehicle registration fees may no longer be available.

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2020, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

I am NOT in AZ, but thought that the AZ law was that totally electric vehicles STILL qualified for the Energy Efficient Plate Program.

Energy Efficient Plate Program Ends

Arizona's Energy Efficient Plate Program has ended. The program allowed eligible vehicles unrestricted access to the high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in Arizona.

Current holders of an energy efficient plate may continue to use that plate on a qualifying vehicle and make use of the HOV lanes. If the vehicle is sold, traded or otherwise has its title transferred to another party, the energy efficient plate is no longer valid.

The program was discontinued to comply with federal regulations regarding HOV lane usage.

This only applies to the energy efficient plate program. Alternative fuel vehicles, including those that are totally electric powered, are not affected.

Energy Efficient Plate Program | ADOT (azdot.gov)
The following users liked this post:
evgirlAZ (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 186 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by evgirlAZ
Any thoughts on used 2019s?
or should I suck it up and look at the 2021s? I’m not interested in the sportback.

I’m nervous on getting stuck with another lemon after my recent experience. So I feel torn with the 2019s.

I hate to think of going back to an ICE or hybrid .... but I may do it so I can feel confident on getting a stable reliable vehicle (I.e. Toyota Highlander). Wait 2-3 years and look at ev suvs at that time. Although tax incentives and/or reduced Arizona vehicle registration fees may no longer be available.

Cheers!
2019's have higher risk as they are a first year car. You know that, of course. 2019's should be much cheaper as well. You know that as well. Sorry for being Captain Obvious.

I've had a fairly good experience, so far, with the 2019. At least a few others have not. Some of this is due to car issues, some of this is due to people issues. When fixing the first electric car, a mechanic is likely to make mistakes. Even if she is a very good mechanic, and fixes it on the next visit.

If it was me, I'd probably pick the 2021. But I'm not in your shoes. I'd probably buy, but most people lease and I think that is a reasonable choice, especially with different circumstances.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Newish used cars always seem to be priced ridiculously high. Be aware that closeouts on new 2019s were going for 55-60k or so after the federal tax credit and Audi incentives.

Nearby me I see some listings with 5k miles on them for Premium Plus 55-57k. That's essentially what they were going for brand new!
Old 10-31-2020, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I am NOT in AZ, but thought that the AZ law was that totally electric vehicles STILL qualified for the Energy Efficient Plate Program.

Energy Efficient Plate Program Ends

Arizona's Energy Efficient Plate Program has ended. The program allowed eligible vehicles unrestricted access to the high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in Arizona.

Current holders of an energy efficient plate may continue to use that plate on a qualifying vehicle and make use of the HOV lanes. If the vehicle is sold, traded or otherwise has its title transferred to another party, the energy efficient plate is no longer valid.

The program was discontinued to comply with federal regulations regarding HOV lane usage.

This only applies to the energy efficient plate program. Alternative fuel vehicles, including those that are totally electric powered, are not affected.

Energy Efficient Plate Program | ADOT (azdot.gov)
Yes exactly. I had the hybrid energy efficient plate but I got notice that that was going to end in March 2020 - I started looking for new vehicles that qualified for this hybrid plate. My 2010 Prius had about 140k miles on it and I wanted to keep my hybrid plate for as long as possible. There was a short list of qualifying vehicles that met my needs so I got the Volvo XC60 T8. But alas... since I'm giving up the Volvo - the plate will go bye bye.
If I buy an EV - then yes I can get the AFV Cloud plate in Arizona. But again.. there's a small list of EV SUVs... I feel like my only options are the Tesla or Audi. I think the i-pace is out of my budget.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by WetEV
2019's have higher risk as they are a first year car. You know that, of course. 2019's should be much cheaper as well. You know that as well. Sorry for being Captain Obvious.

I've had a fairly good experience, so far, with the 2019. At least a few others have not. Some of this is due to car issues, some of this is due to people issues. When fixing the first electric car, a mechanic is likely to make mistakes. Even if she is a very good mechanic, and fixes it on the next visit.

If it was me, I'd probably pick the 2021. But I'm not in your shoes. I'd probably buy, but most people lease and I think that is a reasonable choice, especially with different circumstances.
I appreciate your thoughts WetEV... Captain Obvious.. made me laugh!
Old 10-31-2020, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by newmanium
Newish used cars always seem to be priced ridiculously high. Be aware that closeouts on new 2019s were going for 55-60k or so after the federal tax credit and Audi incentives.

Nearby me I see some listings with 5k miles on them for Premium Plus 55-57k. That's essentially what they were going for brand new!
Thank you newmanium... this is really helpful perspective. I will keep it in mind.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 518 Posts

Wrong thread

Last edited by A4 Phil; 10-31-2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Wrong thread.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 205 Posts

In your circumstances I would find a late model year, low mileage 2019 for an excellent price. Get it from an Audi dealership and make sure it is a CPO vehicle. Ask them to throw in Audicare as part of the deal. My 11/19 production Prestige has been bulletproof. Not once have I had to take it to the service dept except for the firmware update. I do occasionally have to re-boot the MMI if something fails to load properly, such as Waze via Apple CarPlay.

Second option: negotiate a great deal on a 2021 and use the federal tax rebate to further reduce your purchase price.

I love mine; best DD I’ve ever owned out of more than 30 cars over my driving lifetime. Wish I had purchased it now versus leased.

Bish
Old 10-31-2020, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi I brought a 2019 Edition One CPO from a local Audi dealership; in my case, it wasn't a dealer loaner; just someone who had buyers remorse and went back to his Porsche after 4 months! At least this is what the sales guy said. Been in the shop 1X since purchase for a firmware update on the charging cable. Have to go back soon for my 10,000 service. Got it for about $59,000 in June. Definitely get the Prestive/Edition One trim for all the features.

Maybe I could have had it for less, but no regrets so far. Beautiful interior, super quiet. Sure there are probably little annoyances here and there due to 1st year production, but that's why you will want to get it as a CPO by buying one from an Audi dealership. You're going pay a pretty penny for a brand new 2021 for what I think is only incremental improvements. For $25,000 less get a CPO! It makes a lot of $$ sense. I've had 3 Audi cars and have found the brand to stand behind its products.

Quick Reply: Used or new etron?