Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Wireless CarPlay/Connected Devices

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wireless CarPlay/Connected Devices

Is anyone else having a lot of problems with wireless CarPlay? For me it is very intermittent. It will pop up ok several times in a row when I first start up the vehicle but then it will get lost and I can not get it to come up. At the same time my iPhone does not show up in connected devices. I have an iPhone 11 using OS 13.3.1. It's the one thing about my eTron that drives me crazy.

So, even when my bluetooth connects properly I can go to connected devices and nothing shows up. It doesn't make sense because obviously the phone is connected because all the blue tooth functions work. There are also times when CarPlay connects but I can't get the CarPlay screen to show up.

I have had it in to the dealer several times but all they do is reset which enables it to work for a short while and then I am back to the same issue.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:51 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by baherrick
Is anyone else having a lot of problems with wireless CarPlay? For me it is very intermittent. It will pop up ok several times in a row when I first start up the vehicle but then it will get lost and I can not get it to come up. At the same time my iPhone does not show up in connected devices. I have an iPhone 11 using OS 13.3.1. It's the one thing about my eTron that drives me crazy.

So, even when my bluetooth connects properly I can go to connected devices and nothing shows up. It doesn't make sense because obviously the phone is connected because all the blue tooth functions work. There are also times when CarPlay connects but I can't get the CarPlay screen to show up.

I have had it in to the dealer several times but all they do is reset which enables it to work for a short while and then I am back to the same issue.
I have the same phone, iOS v.13.4.1, no issues since I purchased the phone in January.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 205 Posts

Occasionally mine won’t connect but it’s rare. I just start the car and allow all ‘apps’ to initialise prior to putting it into gear. I’ve also pressed and held the volume button on the console for 10 seconds to re-boot the MMI; this seems to work 100% of the time.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
baherrick (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Try completely removing your phone from the MMI. Then, only reconnect your phone to the vehicle via Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay. Do not connect via WiFi. Problem should be solved.

for some reason the MMI and Apple conflict when both are connected via WiFi.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

No issues here.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
Try completely removing your phone from the MMI. Then, only reconnect your phone to the vehicle via Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay. Do not connect via WiFi. Problem should be solved.

for some reason the MMI and Apple conflict when both are connected via WiFi.
I've tried that but it still remains flaky. I don't ever connect with Wifi.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by baherrick

I have had the same thing happen with intermittently not connecting to CarPlay. When it connects it is fantastic. When it doesn’t it’s quite annoying. Sometimes I’ll be driving for 30 minutes without CarPlay and then it will magically connect.

it is not a constant problem. I connect immediately about 90 percent of the time. I’ll try to see if WiFi is the issue.
The following users liked this post:
baherrick (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

I had experienced that kind of behavior during my first days of ownership and I believe that it’s exacerbated by the absence of the MyAudi app or by misconfigurations in the respective Audi account.

The system is extremely buggy and not using it in the intended fashion, i.e. with all the spyware on, was never tested properly. Having the app logged in and able to handshake with the car over the WiFi hotspot was the only way for me to maintain a stable Apple CarPlay connection.

Another scenario is switching between cars with Apple CarPlay. On more than one occasion, using CarPlay (wired) in another car messed up the ability to maintain a stable wireless connection in the eTron. I had to delete all cars from CarPlay and then add the etron back alone.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

After I upgraded to 13.1.4 things got better. Its Apples crappy OS try upgrading to the latest Apple OS.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jimmy9980
After I upgraded to 13.1.4 things got better. Its Apples crappy OS try upgrading to the latest Apple OS.
Did you mean OS 13.4.1? I am currently using OS 13.3.1.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay/Connected Devices