Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Wireless carplay not working now

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 273 Likes on 205 Posts

New phone perhaps?
Old 12-17-2020, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by weth
Yes, that happened to me. Tried to connect for a second, then disconnected.
I set Auto login to off, Auto join to Yes.
Rebooted phone. Car completely off
Phone back on
Turn car on
Now it connects every time.

It was rather recent after working all the time, then stopped working every time. Above is what I did and never have had a problem since.
thank you so much! This worked. After a week it gave me a login error and made me login to Audi connect. Then it showed an expired password. I had to go to the computer (instead of the phone browser) to change the password. But that did not solve this problem.

Your solution worked very well. Thanks very much!
The following 2 users liked this post by Spideymd:
calbear92 (12-17-2020), weth (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
New phone perhaps?
nope. Same iPhone 11 Pro for over a year
Old 12-21-2020, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spideymd
nope. Same iPhone 11 Pro for over a year
I have the exact same situation and this appears to have fixed it. It took a couple of tries, but that was likely my errors.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I turned off the data on the car as I’m not subscribing to the Audi connect and leaving it on always makes my iPhone try using the WiFi for internet and then eventually gives up and uses LTE. However now that it’s off, every single time I turn on the car it pops up this question - I can’t get it to go away, super annoying.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by newmanium
I turned off the data on the car as I’m not subscribing to the Audi connect and leaving it on always makes my iPhone try using the WiFi for internet and then eventually gives up and uses LTE. However now that it’s off, every single time I turn on the car it pops up this question - I can’t get it to go away, super annoying.
You would want to leave the data module on. Even though you aren't subscribing, you still have access to the basic services (Audi Care) that include remote locking, remote climate control, remote charging/setting level of charge.

Things included in Audi Care even without a subscription that needs data module:
Emergency Call
Stolen vehicle locator
Online Roadside assistance
Map updates
Remote lock/unlock
Vehicle status
Car finder
Remote charging set points/start/stop/level
Remote climate control
Driving data - energy usage
Old 12-22-2020, 11:00 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

This happened to me, including the hotspot error wording, after the most recent Apple software update. I don't know if this is a post hoc coincidence or a cause, but I know for sure that it happened to me right after upgrading my ios to 14.3. Thanks for the solution!
Old 12-22-2020, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 556 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by newmanium
How old is your E Tron? When I leased mine in Dec 2019 it came with a six month's subscription to both Connect Prime and Plus.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by weth
You would want to leave the data module on. Even though you aren't subscribing, you still have access to the basic services (Audi Care) that include remote locking, remote climate control, remote charging/setting level of charge.

Things included in Audi Care even without a subscription that needs data module:
Emergency Call
Stolen vehicle locator
Online Roadside assistance
Map updates
Remote lock/unlock
Vehicle status
Car finder
Remote charging set points/start/stop/level
Remote climate control
Driving data - energy usage
Turning off the data I believe just turns off internet access if you connect to the car’s WiFi for CarPlay. I have mine off and remote features like location and remote climate all still work.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

That is good to know. But you still shouldn't need to turn of data module even if you are not subscribing to the extended services. I am no longer subscribed to the data portion of the extended services, and my phone immediately connects and stays on LTE/5G. Have you tried the process on my message below to make the connection work again? Staying connected to wifi when there was not Internet was the item I was seeing until I did the procedure below. Apparently this has fixed at least 2 or 3 others so far.

Quick Reply: Wireless carplay not working now