Audi News Forum Discussion of Audi-related news, rumors, information and links to other publications

B8 S4 - twin turbos, supercharged or straight V8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The a4 is already solidified in it's offerings no?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree with that. 90% of the B5 S4 problems could have been avoided

if they had done it right the first time and went with K04 turbos instead of the K03's. Other than those turbos and the early 2000 cars with the faulty 2nd gear syncros, it was a rock solid car. There aren't many cars that can handle mid 400 wheel horsepower and over 500 wheel torque with stock heads, rods, bearings, block, pistons, trans, axles, driveshaft, differentials....

I agree that this time they've done their homework and will probably have a much harder ECU to tweak. Some type of high level encryption. I'm sure they will also make sure the turbos are properly sized and more importantly properly cooled. As long as the block and bottom end is as stout as the B5's, they will have quite a car.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Default I have to agree. It certainly makes sense with the gas situation to use a biturbo v6

I can promise you if the B8 S4 debut's with a V8, irregardless of how beautifully styled it is or its features, I would not give it a second look or ever consider purchasing.

If it debuts with a v6 biturbo, it will probably be at the top of my list. I thoroughly enjoy my B5 S4. Very decent gas mileage for the amount of power I make (400whp), very well mannered when being driven around normally, but has excellent power when you decide to get into it. The low end torque makes it very fun to drive around.

Also I've agreed with what everyone's said about positioning the S5 as the grand tourer, with a V8 and the S4 as a lighter, better handling biturbo sports sedan. It certainly makes sense.

The tuner world has already started taking 2.7TT B5 S4 blocks and swapping in 3.0L cranks with custom rod and piston setups, effectively making a 3.0L biturbo motor. These motors make tremendous power. The AutoSpeed shop car is a 3.0L monster with a twin GT turbo setup. A few of their customers also run this setup and one just made 600 wheel horsepower on pump 93 octane not too long ago. So the potential for power in a 3.0L biturbo motor is certainly there. As long as audi can build a block and internals as stout as the B5, they can pretty much give the car as much power as they want.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Audi never anticipated the aftermarket potential and explosion that followed.

...Neither did anyone else. ))
Old 01-27-2008, 03:31 PM

Thats upsetting about the time scale. I was hoping to see it in person in NY in two months!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi needs the time to showcase and market the A5/S5 in '08...

First things first...A5/S5, then concentrate on marketing the new A4. We all anxiously await the news forthcoming on the b8 S4. )
Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Default I know, makes sense, I was just hoping for NY because I live less than an hr from there and havent

missed it in 7yrs.

I've never witnessed a big debut like that. Would've been nice. Maybe I have to take a trip to paris :\
Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

A trip to Paris... )
Old 01-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Default *Crossesfingers you are both wrong/right* TSI FTW!

They will likely want the V8 initially, and keep the S4 & S5 smack inbetween the 335 and M3..

But my assumption is that we will see a TSI S4 in it's mid-cycle refresh. (as the brown-buyers will likely be few and far between)
-And this is likely where all the supercharged rumors are coming from.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sure they did. 6-bolt x-bolted mains and a history of 800chp I5 racing configurations...

they knew exactly what they had. Look at my plain-jane Stg3 B5 - 450chp+ all day long on stock internals... how many cars out there can you almost double the chp and still get 150K or more out of the engine?

The Audi V8s are pretty lack-luster to me. FSI has made them better but they still don't quite make the grade vs a similar BMW mill imo.

I will really be disapointed if the B8 has the S5 powertrain. That car was such a letdown dynamically for me. Liked the interior but...

The supercharger rumor is pretty far fetched, look at Merc who has abandoned it as a power adder for the most part. The aftermarket teaming is hype as well... MTM would be the "only" tuner option that is at the level Audi would require I'd say. US has some options but APR is about the only company with the presence and focus to do anything to that scale and I just don't see Audi embracing anyone in that manner for products.

Quick Reply: B8 S4 - twin turbos, supercharged or straight V8?