Audi News Forum Discussion of Audi-related news, rumors, information and links to other publications

Report: Audi EV Tax Credits Will End Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 02:00 PM
IB Staff

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Report: Audi EV Tax Credits Will End Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act

Oof, let's be careful to avoid talking politics on the forum, but Audi announced late last week that only one of their EVs will qualify for a tax credit under the new legislation -- https://www.audiworld.com/articles/r...reduction-act/

The Alliance for Automotive Innovation, a trade group representing North American automobile manufacturers, estimates that 70% of the 72 EVs sold in the U.S. are ineligible under the new law.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Tax Credit..who it benefits..

The people who benefit the most are those with the most money to spend. Audi buyers especially, so it does very little to change the or influence those who have doubts about buying electric.
I bought new Audi's over the years with no incentive, other than the one an Audi offered..great driving and comfort.
There are those that can go into the economic details, but really, it's the upper middle end of society that is moving into electric vehicles. In time, that will change, but the Tax Credit is not a prime mover.

P.S. I also own a 2021 Model 3 AWD Long Range.

Old 08-26-2022, 05:48 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

A 2020 Q5e owner here, and expect my next Vehicle (in another 3-5 years) to be a full EV. Have really enjoyed my VW and Audi cars to date, looking forward to the future!

I'm fine with this legislature. The reality is that with out this, all credits would roll off once each manufacturer hit 200,000 vehicles (Chevy and Tesla had already lost it). If they want to focus on America manufacturing (this includes US, Canada, Mexico...) that's fine, there are some good reasons for that and already a fair amount of manufacturing already over here. It would be nice to see automakers spread out the supply chain and manufacturing resources more broadly through out the world, as we've seen, our current supply chain model is to at risk to transportation/movement disruptions.

What I really like about the legislature is the focus on credits for "more affordable" models with the price caps, and the income caps. Almost guarantees I won't qualify for my future EV purchase, but I'm fine with that, I would rather see our incentives focused on wider mass adoption and affordability (what ever that means in the EV market).

Yeah, there are going to be some unhappy people, and those that don't qualify are going to have envy and anger that others due. The have and have not issue will always be there in all is absurd forms.