Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

1992 S4 not used for 5 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 S4 not used for 5 years

Any advice on what to check when a car has been sitting for 5 years? Just looked at the car today and it looked in great shape to me. The battery was dead so I did not start, going put new battery in this coming weekend. The fluids look ok. Does anyone have some words of wisdom on how to go with this.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would drain and replace the oil (4.5 L with filter) before you try starting the engine. Not the best to do on a cold engine but having mostly new oil will be better than 100% old oil.

When you get a battery in it, before you try starting the engine, remove the No. 17 fuse (the Fuel pump fuse) on the end panel of the dash. Then crank the engine for a minute or two (it won't start) to get some fresh oil flowing (the oil pump is mechanical and it will circulate some of that new oil around). Then reinstall the No. 17 fuse and try to start the engine.

It might not sound very good when it starts. This will because the hydraulic cam followers (aka "lifters") will have likely long since drained down. Hopefully this will clear up in a short time (10 minutes) as oil is pumped into the lifters once again.

You might have leaky front and rear crank seals as a result of the long period of non-running.

Good luck

(You will be back with more questions, I know)
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank You! and yes you will be hearing from me soon and often.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glenn92
Any advice on what to check when a car has been sitting for 5 years? Just looked at the car today and it looked in great shape to me. The battery was dead so I did not start, going put new battery in this coming weekend. The fluids look ok. Does anyone have some words of wisdom on how to go with this.
Fresh fuel only! Drain the tank completely; add fresh fuel & run some though the system & purge any old gas.
I had to resurrect a UrS6 a few years back & it went just fine. Best of luck.
PJM
Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You might consider changing out the old transmission & differential fluids.
As well, drain/re-fill/bleed the cooling system & check for cracked hoses. The hoses may have dried and cracked after sitting. .
Old 03-12-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Thank you all for the postings. Started the S4 and it started no problems ran for about 5 min no check engine light and it sounded good. Found out the car had been serviced on 4/10. The power steering pump was very noisy. I cannot get the trunk to open tried the switch in the glove box didn't work. I have been thru hundreds of posts and have seen the trunk issue talked about but haven't seen how the problem was resolved. Any tricks? Glenn
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You obviously tried the key (there are several positions) and then push in?

The trunk opening button only works when the ignition is turned to ON, i.e. you are the owner and the key is in the ignition, not a thief with no key who just busted a window to get it.

If that doesn't work, some of the linkages have come loose. Right hand taillight on the trunk lid will have to sacrificed. (Hope that is not the answer).

These diagrams *might* help you. There are two trunk locks, left side and right side. They are released when either the key is turned anticlockwise or a solenoid is activated to PULL the rods (23 and 24 in the first diagram and 7 and 14 in the second diagram) towards the center of the car (at the same time).

Sedan:

Avant (very similar, diagram is better IMO):

Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Again! for the detailed reply. I will try the trunk release in the glove box this coming sunday I visit this car on the weekends. Glenn
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is the power steering fluid synthetic from the factory? How can I check? I have PENTOSIN CHF 11S that I use in my 97 VW.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Glenn92
Is the power steering fluid synthetic from the factory? How can I check? I have PENTOSIN CHF 11S that I use in my 97 VW.
Green can? (If so, yes)

Quick Reply: 1992 S4 not used for 5 years